Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Small parts gold plating

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:13:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These
require a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or
Minidisc recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise
recordings it is essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the
microphone and recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by
oxide on the contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs
from headphone leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise
configuration, and I do get handling noise.

They are the spawn of the devil, those mini-jacks. I'd just keep a can of
cleaner/contact treatment like Electrolube handy. You're likely to get
handling noise off the cable too.

It's for a good reason 'proper' mics are low impedance balanced and use
XLRs. I modified my portable MiniDisc by hard wiring onto the PCB and
having a flying XLR lead.

Cheapskate! Use Lemo's :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM