Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heater: water constantly running

Hi All

I've got a problem with my central heating/ hot water.

It's a setup that I imagine is fairly common to newish houses, gas boiler in
the kitchen and thermal store upstairs (well - it was moved in to the loft a
few months ago)

I can hear water running through the system constantly -24x7- and I am at
somewhat of a loss. I've just turned down the speed of the pumps which has
quietened it down but I think that's just masking it?

The central heating side of it is turned off. The boiler fires every 23 mins
or so then goes for a few minutes before shutting down , I assume to keep
the water hot.

A quick googles suggest something about excess hot water being pumped
through the radiators.

Everything else appears OK. When the system was moved, it was 'simply' a
case of cutting pipes and extending them to fit the new position in the
loft. I was prepared perhaps for a little extra noise when system is on, but
not this.. could this have any bearing on it?

Any clues people?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:42:14 +0100, Colin Chaplin wrote:

[...]

Complete guess but possibly with the higher position of the cylinder the
expansion pipe more readily vents to the tank, therefore that water is not
there after contraction and the header cistern fills the system and refils
itself from the mains, which is what you can hear?

When you say 24x7 do you mean whilst the heating is on, otherwise my guess
will be wrong.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All

I've got a problem with my central heating/ hot water.

Any clues people?

Complete guess but possibly with the higher position of the cylinder the
expansion pipe more readily vents to the tank, therefore that water is not
there after contraction and the header cistern fills the system and refils
itself from the mains, which is what you can hear?

When you say 24x7 do you mean whilst the heating is on, otherwise my guess
will be wrong.

I don't think the heatings been on since it's been moved, so the answer to
your question is no

Bizarely, the noise of moving water is most noticable in the toilet - the
cupboard containing the store was immediately next door, so the pipes now
extend through the roof. As all the 6 or so pipes are in close proximity,
it's hard to tell which one contains the running water.

Thanks for your time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav Gav is offline

Colin Chaplin wrote:
[...]

it seems that there is also air in the pipes with the water as water is
not easy to ear on its own, are there any leaks, has the system been
bled ? could there be an airlock somewhere?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Chaplin wrote in message
[...]

Use a long /large screwdriver as a stethoscope , handle to the ear, and
driver blade on each pipe in turn to localise which one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Chaplin wrote:
[...]

You need to do a check list...

Does is happen if you turn off the HW on the programmer?
Do any of your radiators get hot when the boiler keeps firing for the
CH?
Get someone to turn off the HW and see if the motorized zone valve
operates.
Do the above for the CH.

If you've had things moved, then it may be a wiring problem, if that
was tampered with.
Also, system components can pack up if they are disturbed after
months/years of use.

Check the Cylinder Stat, any MCVs and the programmer.

Something is telling the HW to keep circulating through the system. The
way this works is that the Cylinder Stat tells the programmer if the
water in the cylinder needs heating, if the programmer is in HW "on"
mode, then an MCV directs water through the cylinder, the pump starts
and the boiler ignites (at roughly the same time with a number of
checks performed). Thus, the new 'circuit' transfers water from boiler
to cylinder (in a loop) where thermal exchange heats the water in the
cylinder.

Is your water (from your taps) very hot?
I'd be looking at the Cylinder stat first, then the MCV(s) then the
programmer.

Hope this helps you.

rgds,
deano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also check for airlocks.
Bleed the boiler and the pump.
Were any inverted loops created in the loft when the cylinder was
relocated?

d.

water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM