Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Chaplin Colin Chaplin is offline

Default Central Heater: water constantly running

Hi All

I've got a problem with my central heating/ hot water.

It's a setup that I imagine is fairly common to newish houses, gas boiler in
the kitchen and thermal store upstairs (well - it was moved in to the loft a
few months ago)

I can hear water running through the system constantly -24x7- and I am at
somewhat of a loss. I've just turned down the speed of the pumps which has
quietened it down but I think that's just masking it?

The central heating side of it is turned off. The boiler fires every 23 mins
or so then goes for a few minutes before shutting down , I assume to keep
the water hot.

A quick googles suggest something about excess hot water being pumped
through the radiators.

Everything else appears OK. When the system was moved, it was 'simply' a
case of cutting pipes and extending them to fit the new position in the
loft. I was prepared perhaps for a little extra noise when system is on, but
not this.. could this have any bearing on it?

Any clues people?