Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet VisionSet is offline

Default Central Heater: water constantly running

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:42:14 +0100, Colin Chaplin wrote:

Hi All

I've got a problem with my central heating/ hot water.

It's a setup that I imagine is fairly common to newish houses, gas boiler in
the kitchen and thermal store upstairs (well - it was moved in to the loft a
few months ago)

I can hear water running through the system constantly -24x7- and I am at
somewhat of a loss. I've just turned down the speed of the pumps which has
quietened it down but I think that's just masking it?

The central heating side of it is turned off. The boiler fires every 23 mins
or so then goes for a few minutes before shutting down , I assume to keep
the water hot.

A quick googles suggest something about excess hot water being pumped
through the radiators.

Everything else appears OK. When the system was moved, it was 'simply' a
case of cutting pipes and extending them to fit the new position in the
loft. I was prepared perhaps for a little extra noise when system is on, but
not this.. could this have any bearing on it?

Any clues people?

Complete guess but possibly with the higher position of the cylinder the
expansion pipe more readily vents to the tank, therefore that water is not
there after contraction and the header cistern fills the system and refils
itself from the mains, which is what you can hear?

When you say 24x7 do you mean whilst the heating is on, otherwise my guess
will be wrong.

--
Mike W