Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting PVC fascias no soffits

Hi,

I'm consderering replacing the existing wooden facias with PVC. The existing
fascia is simply a length of ply nailed to the rafters, such that the
fascia is practically flush with the brick work i.e. no soffit. All of the
PVC fascia bords I've seen are of L section in design, to give suport for
the soffit. I can't really pack out the rafter ends as the property is part
of a terrace and it would not then align with my neighbors fascia. I don't
want to use capping over a wooden board. How does one get around this,
should I just cut the unwanted piece off? Can you get flat 16mm thick
boards?

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm consderering replacing the existing wooden facias with PVC. The

existing
fascia is simply a length of ply nailed to the rafters, such that the
fascia is practically flush with the brick work i.e. no soffit. All of the
PVC fascia bords I've seen are of L section in design, to give suport for
the soffit. I can't really pack out the rafter ends as the property is

part
of a terrace and it would not then align with my neighbors fascia. I don't
want to use capping over a wooden board. How does one get around this,
should I just cut the unwanted piece off? Can you get flat 16mm thick
boards?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've just measured some board i have and the thickness is about 17mm and the
L lip is a further 17mm.
You can cut this off easily with a table saw or with care, a hand saw.
The edge does give extra rigidity and I wonder if just attaching it to your
rafter ends migth not be enough support witht eh edge cut off leading to a
rather scalloped look. The surface is quite shiny making impertections in
the surface very noticeable.

I suggest you fix it with stainless steel screws and whiteplastic screw
covers. I found the plastic topped nails difficult to work with as the tops
popped off and the de-capitated nails are sods to pull out without damaging
the board as they are ring shanked and grip tight.
Also as you are fixing into end grain of old wood, good long screw will grip
better.

I also made a simple jig for drilling the screw holes which meant they came
out all in line.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
[...]

===========================
You could fit it 'inside out' - i.e. with the 17mm projection on the
outside. Cut a 1/4" drip groove in the bottom with a router.

Cic.

----
It has removed 28 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
[...]

This won't work with the stuff I've got it is a naff off white colour on the
inside.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

snip

Hope this helps

Good luck

Bob

===========================
You could fit it 'inside out' - i.e. with the 17mm projection on the
outside. Cut a 1/4" drip groove in the bottom with a router.

Cic.

snip

This won't work with the stuff I've got it is a naff off white colour on

the
inside.

Bob

============================
I think that inner surface is still weather-proof and if so it might be
worth putting up with the (possibly) poor appearance. It won't be very
visible 16 feet up at the top of the house.

Cic.

----
It has removed 38 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Replacing Soffits / Fascias (is FasciaMania okay) AMO UK diy 15 January 11th 06 01:15 PM
"idiot proof" final circuit design Martin Angove UK diy 227 August 15th 05 10:30 AM
soffits and fascias mogga UK diy 5 March 24th 05 09:55 PM
Stupid question of the day.... BSP screw-in plumbing connections [email protected] UK diy 6 March 22nd 05 11:17 AM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM