Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Fitting PVC fascias no soffits

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm consderering replacing the existing wooden facias with PVC. The

existing
fascia is simply a length of ply nailed to the rafters, such that the
fascia is practically flush with the brick work i.e. no soffit. All of the
PVC fascia bords I've seen are of L section in design, to give suport for
the soffit. I can't really pack out the rafter ends as the property is

part
of a terrace and it would not then align with my neighbors fascia. I don't
want to use capping over a wooden board. How does one get around this,
should I just cut the unwanted piece off? Can you get flat 16mm thick
boards?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've just measured some board i have and the thickness is about 17mm and the
L lip is a further 17mm.
You can cut this off easily with a table saw or with care, a hand saw.
The edge does give extra rigidity and I wonder if just attaching it to your
rafter ends migth not be enough support witht eh edge cut off leading to a
rather scalloped look. The surface is quite shiny making impertections in
the surface very noticeable.

I suggest you fix it with stainless steel screws and whiteplastic screw
covers. I found the plastic topped nails difficult to work with as the tops
popped off and the de-capitated nails are sods to pull out without damaging
the board as they are ring shanked and grip tight.
Also as you are fixing into end grain of old wood, good long screw will grip
better.

I also made a simple jig for drilling the screw holes which meant they came
out all in line.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Bob