Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to tell if a fence is asbestos

Hi everyone,

I have a fence (well actually a neighbours) that is the corrugated
grey / white sheet material that has reached the end of its life - the
concrete posts have crumbled and the wooden cross beams are all but
rotted away.

The plan was for me to help the neighbour replace the fence, but they
have now decided to also get a quote from "professional". Now after
nuch sucking of teeth the "professional" has declared that the fence
is asbestos that requires professional removal, full chemical suits
and "is going to be expensive".

Now, I might be wrong, but I thought that this type of panel was not
necessarily asbestos based and that it would need testing to confirm
this? Secondly, as the panels are not disintegrating in any way, is it
safe to carefully remove "DIY" and if so what precautions should be
taken and how should it e disposed of?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grov wrote:

Now, I might be wrong, but I thought that this type of panel was not
necessarily asbestos based and that it would need testing to confirm
this? Secondly, as the panels are not disintegrating in any way, is it
safe to carefully remove "DIY" and if so what precautions should be
taken and how should it e disposed of?

Google the archives of this newsgroup with "asbestos" for all you never
wanted to know about this issue - it's been raised many times!

I think the only *definitive* way to tell whether it's the dangerous
type is to get a bloke in a space suit to come round and take samples
though.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grov wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a fence (well actually a neighbours) that is the corrugated
grey / white sheet material that has reached the end of its life - the
concrete posts have crumbled and the wooden cross beams are all but
rotted away.

The plan was for me to help the neighbour replace the fence, but they
have now decided to also get a quote from "professional". Now after
nuch sucking of teeth the "professional" has declared that the fence
is asbestos that requires professional removal, full chemical suits
and "is going to be expensive".

If it's not your fence, the best thing you can do now is to have nothing to
do with it at all - it's going to cost a lot of money and you might get
roped into paying half if it's a dividing fence.

Now, I might be wrong, but I thought that this type of panel was not
necessarily asbestos based and that it would need testing to confirm
this? Secondly, as the panels are not disintegrating in any way, is it
safe to carefully remove "DIY" and if so what precautions should be
taken and how should it e disposed of?

It's usually a pile of ******** when people are told this, those paper suits
are about £2 and respirators are about £15, have a guess who's inside it? -
you've got it, the builder's mate / brother / dad and the crap is carted
away and placed in a skip which costs about £100....if it is the real deal
(which it almost certainly is not) the genuine asbestos removal people are
pretty much the same - scaremongerers who want a pile of cash for
nothing....if it was mine I would order a skip, (and buy a respirator and
paper suit) then place the sheets on the bottom and cover the lot up with
bushes, earth, rubble, bricks etc, whichever way you go, the 'asbestos' will
end up in the same place - in a skip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

snip

It's usually a pile of ******** when people are told this, those paper suits
are about £2 and respirators are about £15, have a guess who's inside it? -
you've got it, the builder's mate / brother / dad and the crap is carted
away and placed in a skip which costs about £100....if it is the real deal
(which it almost certainly is not) the genuine asbestos removal people are
pretty much the same - scaremongerers who want a pile of cash for
nothing....if it was mine I would order a skip, (and buy a respirator and
paper suit) then place the sheets on the bottom and cover the lot up with
bushes, earth, rubble, bricks etc, whichever way you go, the 'asbestos' will
end up in the same place - in a skip.

And then The Doctor will zap it with his sonic screwdriver so it
disappears??

What do you think happens to the contnts of skips?

They are emptied and sorted, and if the skip owner finds you have been
hiding potentially dangerous stuff in his skip, he's not going to be
very happy - and there will probably be a clause in the skip hire
contract which states that the price you pay is just for hardcore/soil
etc, and if anything else is found then you get billed. Of course, you
don't have to pay, but a lot of these characters prefer to use a length
of lead piping rather than a solicitors letter!

Don't be a plonker!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
nothing....if it was mine I would order a skip, (and buy a respirator and
paper suit) then place the sheets on the bottom and cover the lot up with
bushes, earth, rubble, bricks etc, whichever way you go, the 'asbestos' will
end up in the same place - in a skip.

No, you should double wrap it in polythene and take it to your local
"recycling" centre. Or find the nearest one that will take it in this
form.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from contains these words:

No, you should double wrap it in polythene and take it to your local
"recycling" centre. Or find the nearest one that will take it in this
form.

Check your local council's website - Telfords, for example has this...
http://www.telford.gov.uk/Environmen...h/Asbestos.htm

Which, as they're supposed to, allows small non-commercial disposal
subject to fairly simple conditions.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:01:43 +0100 John wrote :
The contents of skips [loaded with building rubble etc.] are *sorted*?
I thought they were just tipped, in a tip. Along with hundreds of
other such skips. Every day.

Eee ... how things have come on since I were a lad!

Tis true - an intended effect of landfill tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:01:43 +0100 John wrote :

The contents of skips [loaded with building rubble etc.] are *sorted*?
I thought they were just tipped, in a tip. Along with hundreds of
other such skips. Every day.

Eee ... how things have come on since I were a lad!

Tis true - an intended effect of landfill tax.

But surely nobody 'sorts' a skip of rubble? AIUI the knock-on effect of
landfill tax is that there are now different skips for different types
of rubbish, which have different tariffs at the tip. Certainly my
preferred skip operator asks what I'm going to put in a skip, and by
telling him "builder's rubble" or whatever, I get a price from him which
beats the competition (who give a flat rate regardless of skip content).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:51:28 GMT, Grov
wrote:

snip

Thanks all, seems local council site will take it if bagged correctly
at no charge even though they make no mention of this on their web
site.

Regards,
Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about a binbag sorter, then? Apparently my local council now employ
people to do this... as we are just going over to wheelie bins/recycling
boxes etc, we've applied for a Large Wheelie Bin as our family size
fulfils the criteria for this: so apparently fot at least a month we are
going to have the contents of our binbags gone through with a fine
toothcomb to check there's nothing in there which should be in a
different container. Mm, nice work if you can get it...

David

Live in Worcester by any chance ?

Dave