Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Sasha

Default Asbestos testing in NJ

I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Shiva the Destroyer

Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and
it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously.

-S

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob

If you cover it up, and then go to sell the home, you must disclose to any
potential buyer the fact that there's asbestos. Look in the yellow pages
under 'Asbestos Removal & Abatement Services".

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

There may be asbestos in the mastic used to fasten down the tile as
well as the tile.
Professional abatement is not cheap.
However, if the tile is coming up, it needs to be removed.
TB

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Shiva the Destroyer

It's cheaper than 18 months in a hospital. Or a casket.

-S

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and

it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously. "

Before she starts with abatement, don;'t you think it would be a good
idea to find out
if she even has asbestos in the tiles, which was the question she was
asking? And if
she does have asbestos in floor tiles, they generally don't present a
health hazard unless
you start smashing them up. Simplest solution would be to cover them
up with a new layer
of flooring.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob

An asbestos abatement company can test it for her. If they come out and take
a sample to their lab, and it isn't asbestos, then she has documented proof.
If it is, and she covers it up, and goes to sell the place, she'll have to
disclose it to a buyer, and they will most likely want it removed. If it's
asbestos, she should not cover it up.

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and

it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously. "

Before she starts with abatement, don;'t you think it would be a good
idea to find out
if she even has asbestos in the tiles, which was the question she was
asking? And if
she does have asbestos in floor tiles, they generally don't present a
health hazard unless
you start smashing them up. Simplest solution would be to cover them
up with a new layer
of flooring.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"An asbestos abatement company can test it for her. "

I'd much rather send a sample myself to a lab that has no vested
interest in
abatement. That is the legitimate question she was asking.
It's certainly not unheard of for companies to find problems to
fix that don't exist. That is the legitimate question she was asking.

"If they come out and take
a sample to their lab, and it isn't asbestos, then she has documented
proof.
If it is, and she covers it up, and goes to sell the place, she'll have
disclose it to a buyer, and they will most likely want it removed. If
it's
asbestos, she should not cover it up. "

Do you know what asbestos abatement companies do in many cases? They
don't
necessarily remove asbestos. In many cases they simply encapsulate
asbestos
that is there so that it can't come loose and enter the air. Covering
an existing floor
does exactly that. And if she does that, it's not clear to me that
she needs to
disclose anything to a future buyer.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

There is an alternative: Encapsulation
Place a new floor system over the existing without testing or removing
the existing.
This was done in a family housing area by the Navy:
Nail down plywood sub floor & new floor finish over vinyl asbestos tile
and asbestos containing mastic.
TB

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

They made floor tiles with asbestos?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
They made floor tiles with asbestos?

Some of the old tiles has some asbestos fiber in them. They were really not
very hazardous as it was encapsulated Contact with asbestos is not a
problem at all. You can bath in it as long as you don't breath in the
fibers.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Shiva the Destroyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and
it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously.

-S

Before you spread dire predictions of death and doom, do some research and
find out what asbestos can and cannot do, how it can be easily and safely
abated.

Asbestos in the tile is encapsulated and not a harm at all to anyone
handling it. It is only a potential hazard if it is made friable and you
breath it in. Removing the tiles in a proper manner is perfectly safe and
contact is not a problem at all. It is perfectly safe and legal to remove
and dispose of the tiles in a landfill. IIRC, they should be wrapped in a
plastic bag, but no other special precautions are needed.

If the tiles are solid, just go over them with another type of flooring. If
loose, remove them first following the proper guidelines.
Ed

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob

My best friend has asbestos cancer. He was a school teacher and walked on
asbestos tile for 30 years.

[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

You should skip the testing, which costs money and creates legal
obligations for you that you don't need, and just assume that
as far as you're concerned, they're asbestos, and as far as
the state is concerned, the question never occurred to you.

I dunno how you go about getting the old tile up,
although Shovelling dry ice across the floor and
then whacking things with a mallet has been suggested,

but Afterwards, poured epoxy flooring will cover the remains
of the glue and be a fairly permanent encapulation.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

7. Bob Jan 13, 11:50 am

"My best friend has asbestos cancer. He was a school teacher and walked
on
asbestos tile for 30 years. "

That doesn't prove that it was caused by floor tile. He may have had
other exposure that he was not even aware of. The best medical and
scientific advice based on not one case, but studies of millions of
health records, is if the tile is intact, it's not a problem.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 13 Jan 2006 07:24:08 -0800, wrote:

They made floor tiles with asbestos?

Yup. If it looks like vinyl tile, but it
throws sparks when you try to drill through
it with a hole-saw, it's probably vinyl-asbestos.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob" wrote in message
My best friend has asbestos cancer. He was a school teacher and walked on
asbestos tile for 30 years.

But what was the cause? It may have been from some other source. He may
have been exposed to insulation being removed as a child, it could have been
many other things over the past 30+ years. Walking on tile does not cause
cancer, but breathing it in does. Old building were loaded with asbestos on
ceiling, heating pipes, etc. More information needed, but in any case, I
wish him the best dealing with it.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Almost all tile made before '85 contained asbestos. Put on a dust
mask. Use a heat gun to soften the tiles, peel them up, put them in a
bag, and throw them away. Try not to break any. Wet mop the floor
when you're done. Then never worry about it again.

Yes, the black stuff underneath could also contain asbestos. Don't
worry about that either. Put your new floor on top and forget it's
there.

Unless you grind the tiles off with a drum sander or something, they
won't harm you.

-rev

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Sasha

What is poured epoxy flooring? Can I just glue another layer of new
vinyl tiles over existing ones? Will this encapsulate enough existing
floor? I would like a solution that is relatively easy and inexpensive.
I don't care about new floor look. Again, 40% of tiles popped up and
they pop up constantly when I roll around heavy stationary tools (table
saw, jointer, etc.) in my workshop. I also need new floor good enough
to be able to roll around tools. My house is 55 years old, I am the
third owner. Previous owner lived in the house since mid-1980 in period
after asbestos was banned. Unfortunately when I was buying a house I
didn't ask previous owner if it was him to put the titles. If it was
him the titles most likely do not contain asbestos. If it was an
original owner they may. If testing is really easy and affordable
enough I would rather test titles between putting another floor. Also I
am not going to sell my house in another two centuries at least so what
I worry about is health hazards for me and my family and less about its
impact on house sale.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Sasha wrote:

I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Are they 9" tiles or 12"?

I wouldn't waste my money testing them; I'd just peel them up and send
'em to the landfill in a couple of plastic bags. Put laminate flooring
over the top of the old adhesive.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

9. Goedjn Jan 13, 1:02 pm

"What the hell does he mean by "asbestos cancer" anyway? "

Most likely, mesothelioma, which is a type of lung cancer caused by
asbestos. Now here's a funny side story. Here in NJ, some shyster law
firm was running ads on TV looking for clients that had mesothelioma
and wanted to sue. They ran these commercials for more than a year
and I laughed everytime I saw it. The commercial said "Mesothelioma, a
malignant form of cancer......"

Just shows how stupid some lawyers can be. All cancer, by definition
is malignant. Now would you want these morons representing you?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I have vinyl tile floor in my basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or
otherwise broke and I concern about tiles contained asbestos.

Relax, even if the tile does contain asbestos its not in the same state
as the type that causes health problems, which would be the stuff used
for insulation of steam pipes and boilers, or that stuff seen floating
around the air at Johns-Manville for fifty years.

Also, if the tile were really a health issue you would not be allowed
to dispose of it in your local landfill, which you are in NJ. I'm in
the Morris area and I've left more than a few bags at the curb, not a
problem.

HD sells floor scrapers that can be used to break and lift up the tile.
Then you shovel it into a garbage can containing a thick mil garbage
bag. Before the bag gets too heavy tie it off and haul it away.
Repeat.

For extra precaution set up good cross ventilation in the area you are
working in. Turn off any forced air units and put plastic over the
entryways. Wear a filtered breathing mask. Wet the area you are
working in thoroughly with a spray bottle. I doubt handling this job
will result in a slow and agonizing death.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Bob wrote:
My best friend has asbestos cancer. He was a school teacher and walked on
asbestos tile for 30 years.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Shiva the Destroyer" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

I had a friend that had a rode a motorcycle for
many years and he died.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Dennis

Edwin is completely correct.

In New Jersey, an entire Subchapter of the Uniform Construction Code is
dedicated to Asbestos removal (Subchapter 8). It only deals with the type of
Asbestos that can harm you, that which is called "friable" and capable of
being airborne and inhaled. This is normally found as a soft substance
surrounding steam pipes and the like.

Asbestos floor tiles are completely safe and inert (as are most forms of
Asbestos).

However, if you do have an Asbestos project to do in New Jersey, dig deep,
it's very expensive and controlled.

Dennis

Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and
it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously.

Before you spread dire predictions of death and doom, do some research and
find out what asbestos can and cannot do, how it can be easily and safely
abated.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
butch burton

IF you have to go the abatement route - a bunch of guys come in, garb
up in tyvek suits, build all sorts of barriers and go through all kinds
of shenanigans to get the stuff out - necessary?

What it will do is drain your wallet. If you have an "abatement
service" test for asbestos and they find any at all, they will make
certain you have to remove the stuff at a great cost.

Years ago had an old house with a gravity furnace that was swaddled in
asbestos lagging - every pipe and all way around the furnace. After
heating season was over - started taking it down - hauled it to the
landfill encased in large bags. Broke the furnace into small pieces
and did the same - hosed the place down and scrubbed it - put in a new
furnace myself. It is still going just fine. If the tile bug you -
just take them up with a tile removal tool - looks like a flattened hoe
- if they are really stuck down - rent a machine that prys up the tiles
- did a big store where they used way too much mastic - goes fast.
Doubt if there are any real risks doing it yourself - good luck

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Shiva the Destroyer wrote:
Abate the asbestos professionally. You're playing with your life, and
it's not a quick, pleasant death at the end. Seriously.

Horse****. Nobody, but nobody, has ever gotten sick from a commercial
asbestos product. Not brake shoes, not insulation, certainly not floor tile.
The hazard associated with asbestos is in MINING it. Over many years.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
WM

On 13 Jan 2006 04:57:36 -0800, "Sasha" wrote:

I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Whatever you do, never tell anyone you have an asbestos problem.

Never get your property tested as it creates a record of your
asbestos problem that will cost you millions. All the illnesses in
the neighborhood are cause by your asbestos and you have to pay them
plus attorney fees and court costs.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

Talk to a sales clerk at a flooring store. When we bought new vinyl
flooring, they just covered the old floor with a thin coat of some sort
of paste to make sure it was level. Then they cover it all with the new
vinyl flooring.

Reason? It is very hard to remove old flooring without damaging the
wood underneath. The old adhesive is very hard to remove, too. And
grinding it off creates a dusty and uneven mess.

The only disadvantage is that your floor is thicker. The installers
needed to adjust the bottoms of some of our doors. This is routine for
flooring jobs... at least it only took them part of a morning to
re-floor our kitchen.

We could have demanded that they remove the old flooring, but it costs a
lot more. Maybe 15 years from now...

Max

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Dennis

Horse****. Nobody, but nobody, has ever gotten sick from a commercial
asbestos product. Not brake shoes, not insulation, certainly not floor
tile. The hazard associated with asbestos is in MINING it. Over many
years.

I tend to agree up to a point.
Asbestos insulation does pose a risk as it is so friable when disturbed.
The fibers are so fine that they can be inhaled and are listed as a
cancer-causing product.
The other sources of asbestos are really not a risk at all and of course
that's why they are NOT listed as needing a permit to remove. (Only the
friable types of asbestos are dangerous.)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Matt Whiting

Dennis wrote:

Horse****. Nobody, but nobody, has ever gotten sick from a commercial
asbestos product. Not brake shoes, not insulation, certainly not floor
tile. The hazard associated with asbestos is in MINING it. Over many
years.

I tend to agree up to a point.
Asbestos insulation does pose a risk as it is so friable when disturbed.

It doesn't pose a risk unless you disturb it and inhale it for 20 years
or so.

The fibers are so fine that they can be inhaled and are listed as a
cancer-causing product.

So is silica so you better not go outside.

The other sources of asbestos are really not a risk at all and of course
that's why they are NOT listed as needing a permit to remove. (Only the
friable types of asbestos are dangerous.)

Almost every substance that is a hazard is safe at some level of
exposure. Almost every substance that is safe is a hazard at some level
of exposure. The reality is that asbestos was really only a hazard to
those who had extreme and long-term exposure to it, mainly folks that
mined it, sprayed it inside ships or used it to manfacture parts like
brake shoes, however, I believe even the evidence on the latter is
pretty weak.

Matt
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

"Sasha" wrote:

I wonder if anyone has done testing of sample for asbestos in NJ. How
expensive is it and reliable results are? I have vinyl tile floor in my
basement workshop and 40% of tiles peeled up or otherwise broke and I
concern about tiles contained asbestos. So I am thinking about
submitting a piece of a tile to an asbestos testing lab. Is it worth
doing? If asbestos is indeed found what's the best way to address the
problem? Cover entire workshop floor with modern vinyl tiles?

I'm sure that Johns Manville have an excellent service, given their
past experience with asbestos.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Peter Shepherd

May 2005
MILLER A
Mesothelioma in household members of asbestos-exposed workers: 32 United
States cases since 1990.
American Journal of Industrial Med 2005;47:458-62.
PubMed

1: Lemen RA.
Chrysotile asbestos as a cause of mesothelioma: application of the Hill
causation model.
Int J Occup Environ Health. 2004 Apr-Jun;10(2):233-9. Review.
PMID: 15281385 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Chrysotile comprises over 95% of the asbestos used today. Some have
contended that the majority of asbestos-related diseases have resulted from
exposures to the amphiboles. In fact, chrysotile is being touted as the form
of asbestos which can be used safely. Causation is a controversial issue for
the epidemiologist. How much proof is needed before causation can be
established? This paper examines one proposed model for establishing
causation as presented by Sir Austin Bradford Hill in 1965. Many
policymakers have relied upon this model in forming public health policy as
well as deciding litigation issues. Chrysotile asbestos meets Hill's nine
proposed criteria, establishing chrysotile asbestos as a cause of
mesothelioma.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For an articulate viewpoint opposing an asbestos ban,
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/164/4/491 states that amphibole is
indeed much worse than chrysotile:

snip:

What risks are associated with chrysotile fibres? The Collegium claims that
all asbestos fibres are associated with similar risks of lung cancer and
asbestosis, and only marginally different risks of mesothelioma. Experienced
scientists in the field strongly disagree with this view.5,6,7,8 Risk
assessments and reviews generally attribute peritoneal mesotheliomas
exclusively to amphibole fibres. The 47 cohorts of individuals working with
asbestos reviewed in the most recent and comprehensive risk assessments9,10
show higher risks in those working with amphibole than in those working with
chrysotile. Thus, excess lung cancers occur 3 times, pleural mesothelioma 12
times and peritoneal mesotheliomas 30 times more frequently in mainly
amphibole than in chrysotile industries for an equal number of expected
cases (see additional data in the Table on the CMAJ Web site at
www.cma.ca/cmaj/vol-164/issue-4.htm). Exposure-response comparisons of
studies with meaningful exposure data suggest that chrysotile workers were
4-24 times less at risk of asbestos-induced lung cancer than amphibole
workers at equal exposure.11,12 To put this in perspective, based on the
exposure-response estimate of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
the lifetime risk of an asbestos-induced lung cancer in smoking male workers
exposed for 20 years to 20 fibres per millilitre of air in primarily
chrysotile industries was about 2%-10%, compared with 40% in smoking male
workers in industries using amphiboles. Risk in nonsmoking asbestos workers
was about 15 times lower in both cases.
The mining and milling industry is most informative because fibre types are
not mixed, and because it produces fibres of different sizes for all the
asbestos industries. Of all the pleural mesotheliomas reported among
chrysotile workers, 70% occurred among Quebec miners and millers, and most
were traced to coexposures to amphiboles.13 The dose-specific risks of
asbestosis,14,15 lung cancer and mesothelioma are 15-50 times lower in
chrysotile miners than in amphibole miners.14,15 This seems true also for
nonoccupationally exposed populations.16,17,18 In contrast to the
Collegium's interpretation of our research, my colleagues and I found that
the absence of excess lung cancers among residents of chrysotile mining
towns implies a risk at least 15 times smaller than that predicted with the
EPA model,17 and the number of mesotheliomas observed is at least 20 times
smaller than that predicted by the EPA model.19

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: Lemen RA.
Asbestos in brakes: exposure and risk of disease.
Am J Ind Med. 2004 Mar;45(3):229-37. Review.
PMID: 14991849 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However 48 year old Canadian MP Chuck Strahl never smoked, has mesothelioma
most likely from working on chrysotile-containing brake shoes.

snip from article below:

"Just after the House broke for the summer, Mr. Strahl, 48, said he started
to feel ill. Then his lung collapsed. "I thought it was just the flu or
perhaps pneumonia, and I was too busy and too stubborn to rush into the
doctor's office," he wrote.

After two weeks of tests and surgery and another collapsed lung,
"Pathologists had determined that the lining (the pleura) had developed
cancer, likely because of an exposure to asbestos when I was a young man. My
logging days included a time when we used open, asbestos brakes on the
yarder and while my exposure wasn't that lengthy, it was intense. Typically,
20-25 years later, the asbestos works its ugly magic. Unfortunately, I'm
right on time."

The Hill Times, August 29th, 2005
LEGISLATIVE PROCESS
By Bea Vongdouangchanh
Support for asbestos makes Canada an 'international pariah'
Tory MP Chuck Strahl's stunning announcement that he has cancer should be a
wakeup call for the government to support a global ban on asbestos, says
NDP's Pat Martin.
Canada is an "international pariah" when it comes to supporting and dumping
asbestos around the world, said NDP MP Pat Martin, who's calling for a
global ban on the production, sale and use of asbestos, adding that the
recent announcement of House Deputy Speaker and Conservative MP Chuck Strahl
that he's battling a form of cancer most likely caused by asbestos exposure
should be a wake up call for the government to start moving on the issue.

"Chuck's situation illustrates that this terrible, toxic substance is all
around us and the government has its head in the sand for the sake of a few
jobs in Quebec," said Mr. Martin (Winnipeg Centre, Man.). "They refuse to
acknowledge that there's no safe level of exposure. It reaffirms my
commitment that asbestos in all its forms should be banned."

Mr. Martin told The Hill Times that one of the main reasons he became an MP
is "to fight for the global ban of asbestos." As a young man, he had worked
in an asbestos mine in the Yukon from 1974-1975 and said he was lied to
about asbestos hazards. "For the tragedy of asbestos to strike so close to
us all on Parliament Hill, it strengthens my resolve that this is Canada's
greatest shame and is crying out to be addressed."

Mr. Strahl (Chilliwack-Fraser Canyon, B.C.) announced last week in a column
in the Chilliwack Times, a local paper in his riding, that he is suffering
from lung cancer likely caused by exposure to asbestos when he worked as a
logger years ago.

Mr. Strahl said he plans to continue his MP and deputy Speaker duties. "This
column is about me (always a difficult subject), and it is about my cancer,"
he wrote. "I don't see any other way around this. I'm a kind of private guy
in many ways, and I like to be pretty stoic about problems I face day to
day. But my job is so public and expectations so obvious that it can't
really be a secret. And perhaps it wouldn't be fair to be secret anyway,
because there are so many people who need to know and want to help out in
ways small and large."

Just after the House broke for the summer, Mr. Strahl, 48, said he started
to feel ill. Then his lung collapsed. "I thought it was just the flu or
perhaps pneumonia, and I was too busy and too stubborn to rush into the
doctor's office," he wrote.

After two weeks of tests and surgery and another collapsed lung,
"Pathologists had determined that the lining (the pleura) had developed
cancer, likely because of an exposure to asbestos when I was a young man. My
logging days included a time when we used open, asbestos brakes on the
yarder and while my exposure wasn't that lengthy, it was intense. Typically,
20-25 years later, the asbestos works its ugly magic. Unfortunately, I'm
right on time.

"A column like this could have the word 'unfortunately' sprinkled
throughout, and it is the perfect word for the situation. Unfortunately, I
was exposed to asbestos. Unfortunately, my body couldn't handle it.
Unfortunately, it targets the lungs. Unfortunately, there is no cure, only
treatment. Unfortunately, like all cancer, the disease has an awful,
debilitating effect on your family and friends, all of whom want to help,
can't believe it is happening, and just wish they could do something to make
the world 'right' again.

"I'm none too thrilled with it all either. The treatment will be determined
in the next few days, and I'll have to start that soon. It won't be any fun,
but it has to be done and I'll just get at it when they're ready. I'm hoping
to be able to keep working while this happens. I'll be in there sluggin' for
now, and much of what comes up will be simply business as usual."

Conservative House Leader Jay Hill told The Hill Times last week that he was
"struggling a lot" with the news of Mr. Strahl's cancer.

"He's my closest personal friend," said Mr. Hill (Prince George-Peace River,
B.C.). "The friendship that we've developed over the last decade as
Parliamentarians has morphed into a very close personal relationship. It
goes unsaid that myself and our entire caucus give our utmost support and
encouragement during this difficult time. He's loved by all and respected by
MPs. The respect they have for him as Deptuy Speaker is reflective of the
respect they have for him as an individual."

Mr. Martin said he was shocked when he heard the news. "We wish Chuck the
best. He's such a healthy and vibrant man and if anyone can beat it, it's
him."

He told The Hill Times that he is also worried about his own health and
regularly goes for bronchoscopies which show there is scarring around his
lungs but there is no sign of cancer.

Earlier this year, Mr. Martin was in Washington, D.C. for the first World
Asbestos Awareness Day with a U.S. lobby group. "It was on April 1, April
Fool's day, unfortunately, which is an irony because we've all been fooled
by asbestos for so long," he said, adding that the government refuses to
acknowledge that there is no safe level of exposure to asbestos.

Health Canada's website states that "asbestos poses health risks only when
fibres are present in the air that people breathe. If asbestos fibres are
enclosed or tightly bound in a product, for example in asbestos siding or
asbestos floor tiles, there are no significant health risks.

"When inhaled in significant quantities, asbestos fibres can cause
asbestosis (a scarring of the lungs which makes breathing difficult),
mesothelioma (a rare cancer of the lining of the chest or abdominal cavity)
and lung cancer. The link between exposure to asbestos and other types of
cancers is less clear."

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Dennis wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Plenty of bricklayers, insulaters and drywall guys have died from
asbestos and many more are suffering. The manufacturers and insurance
company conspired to hide the danger since the 1930s. Don't play with
asbestos.