Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default How to tell if a fence is asbestos

Grov wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a fence (well actually a neighbours) that is the corrugated
grey / white sheet material that has reached the end of its life - the
concrete posts have crumbled and the wooden cross beams are all but
rotted away.

The plan was for me to help the neighbour replace the fence, but they
have now decided to also get a quote from "professional". Now after
nuch sucking of teeth the "professional" has declared that the fence
is asbestos that requires professional removal, full chemical suits
and "is going to be expensive".

If it's not your fence, the best thing you can do now is to have nothing to
do with it at all - it's going to cost a lot of money and you might get
roped into paying half if it's a dividing fence.

Now, I might be wrong, but I thought that this type of panel was not
necessarily asbestos based and that it would need testing to confirm
this? Secondly, as the panels are not disintegrating in any way, is it
safe to carefully remove "DIY" and if so what precautions should be
taken and how should it e disposed of?

It's usually a pile of ******** when people are told this, those paper suits
are about £2 and respirators are about £15, have a guess who's inside it? -
you've got it, the builder's mate / brother / dad and the crap is carted
away and placed in a skip which costs about £100....if it is the real deal
(which it almost certainly is not) the genuine asbestos removal people are
pretty much the same - scaremongerers who want a pile of cash for
nothing....if it was mine I would order a skip, (and buy a respirator and
paper suit) then place the sheets on the bottom and cover the lot up with
bushes, earth, rubble, bricks etc, whichever way you go, the 'asbestos' will
end up in the same place - in a skip.