Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Default Rough guide to price for renewing roofing felt

Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect
to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof
renewed?

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done
temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling
plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

I will be getting some quotes, but was just wondering if anyone here
had an idea what it might cost me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

dog-man wrote:
Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect
to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof
renewed?

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done
temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling
plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

I will be getting some quotes, but was just wondering if anyone here
had an idea what it might cost me.

If this is a pitched roof, then there should be little ingress through
the felt, and your problem may be with the tiles - ridges or valley.

Its very rare for felt only to require replacement on a pitched roof.

Felt on pitched roofs will normally only allow water ingress where it
is torn, or if rotted at the eaves gutter . It does not deteriorate
like flat roof felt. A patch repair at any tear or hole will suffice.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Yes, it is a pitched roof.

Since removing the old ceiling plaster and lathe and old plaster boards
to renew them, I have come across three slight leaks in three different
places, but all on the rear of the house.

Filling with expanding foam seems to cure this, but I am just wondering
if I should treat this as an emergency and have the roof redone or at
least the roofing felt. It does appear to be very brittle in places.

Using binoculars I am unable to see any tiles that have moved.

I believe that the roof was retiled about 25 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
West Stand Bowler

"dog-man" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect
to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof
renewed?

Renew felt = remove roof covering = scaffolding.

Guesstimates; (concrete interlocking tiles )
Terraced circa £3500
Semi circa £4500
Detached circa £6000

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done
temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling
plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

This usually only becomes an issue when surveyors get involved (buying,
selling house). Although the sarking felt does act as a second line of
defence, it's main purpose is insulation.
If you have leaks, look to the tiles / slates.

Hang on - No attic space ? Ceiling fixed to rafters ? Warm roof ?
--
WSB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

dog-man wrote:
Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect
to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof
renewed?

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done
temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling
plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

This is a flat roof, then? Is it a simple construction, or multi-
level? What measurements, about? How the roof is made will make a
difference, too - if it's felt on chipboard, the whole lot may
need doing. If it's on T&G it may well not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

dog-man wrote:
Yes, it is a pitched roof.

Are you talking about sarking felt, applied over the rafters,
with tiles of some sort on top? What sort of tiles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

dog-man wrote:
Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect
to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof
renewed?

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done
temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling
plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

I will be getting some quotes, but was just wondering if anyone here
had an idea what it might cost me.

The felt is not there to stop rain coming in..the slates/tiles do that.

You need it re-felted and re-toiled possibly, or some repairs done.

Anything from 1-10 grand..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Yes, it is a pitched roof, and I am talking about the felt between the
rafters and roof tiles (concrete, I assume).

This is an old Victorian house so there is no attic space the top floor
has two bedrooms with obviously a ceiling above them, then rafters then
felt, then tiles. Absolutely, no attic space at all.

The ceiling was looking very old and tired, so I removed it to renew. I
definitely did not cause damage to the felt by removing the old
ceiling.

The leaks were only slight, but it was obvious that the felt was in bad
condition with holes and feeling very brittle.

I am about the add to my mortgage to do some improvements around the
house and am looking at the need to budget for the roof.

Or I could just move, I suppose!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

dog-man wrote:
Yes, it is a pitched roof, and I am talking about the felt between the
rafters and roof tiles (concrete, I assume).

This is an old Victorian house so there is no attic space the top floor
has two bedrooms with obviously a ceiling above them, then rafters then
felt, then tiles. Absolutely, no attic space at all.

The ceiling was looking very old and tired, so I removed it to renew. I
definitely did not cause damage to the felt by removing the old
ceiling.

The leaks were only slight, but it was obvious that the felt was in bad
condition with holes and feeling very brittle.

I am about the add to my mortgage to do some improvements around the
house and am looking at the need to budget for the roof.

Or I could just move, I suppose!

Are you saying that the upper rooms have sloping ceilings just under the
roof joists?

If so you almost have to do the job properly - I'd strip and redo the
roof and ceilings, and insulate with celotex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Yes, it is a pitched roof, and I am talking about the felt between the
rafters and roof tiles (concrete, I assume).

Most Victorian houses don't even have felt. Certainly, if water is getting
past the felt, then you need to fix the roof, as there should be no water on
the felt in the first place. The felt just provides a second line of defence
(especially against powder snow).

Replacing in-situ felt isn't easy. You basically have to take the entire
roof covering off, complete with battens. At least that is how they did it
on my loft conversion before relaying breathable membrane and reclaimed
slates.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Replacing in-situ felt isn't easy. You basically have to take the entire
roof covering off, complete with battens. At least that is how they did it
on my loft conversion before relaying breathable membrane and reclaimed
slates.

P.S. Cost wise I would guess about 2000, assuming the existing roof covering
hasn't got too many broken tiles and the pattern is still available for
spares.

With new tiles/slates, add another grand or two. More still for Welsh slate,
rather than artificial or concrete.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
West Stand Bowler

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

Most Victorian houses don't even have felt.

It's been re-roofed.
--
WSB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dog-man

Well circa £2000 is ok. I know this is a guestimate!

From talking my neighbours I understand that it was definitely reroofed

about 25 to 30 years ago, as both roof's on the ajoining semi's were
done at the same time.

It is definitely concrete tiles and I believe that I see many of the
same every day, so would expect them to be plentiful if any spares are
needed.

I will get some quotes to see exactly where i stand.

Thanks to all that replied.