Posted to uk.d-i-y
louise

Default Emissions from electric storage heaters

We live in a new build duplex (3 years old) which has dimplex electric
storage heaters. All our walls and ceilings have a black 'soot /
charcol' dust substance. It is that bad you can write your name in it!
Inside the heaters also have this black dust. We believe the heaters
have caused this. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Dimplex told
us it is because we light candles in the home even though neighbours
have the same heaters and light candles and they dont have this. Other
neighbours who have the same problem dont even use candles! Would
really appreciate if anyone who has experienced this could let us know.
Many thanks
Louise

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On 6 Jun 2006 13:47:43 -0700, "louise"
wrote:

We live in a new build duplex (3 years old) which has dimplex electric
storage heaters. All our walls and ceilings have a black 'soot /
charcol' dust substance. It is that bad you can write your name in it!
Inside the heaters also have this black dust. We believe the heaters
have caused this. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

It is almost universal above any fixed heat producing device
including wall lights. The heat causes air to rise, the air carries
dust and traffic fumes which deposit on the walls. With lamps it can
take years to show up, with heaters much less time. The more the
heater is used the worse the problem becomes. Radiators have the
same effect but as they are often positioned under windows you don't
notice it.

The dust in the heater is similarly just airborne dust which has
deposited as air flows through it. If you live in urban pollution
the problem is exacerbated by the dirty air surrounding you.

Candles make things even worse by raising the pollution level and
providing nice sticky fumes for the dirt to adhere to.

It is not a fault with the heater.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 6 Jun 2006 13:47:43 -0700 someone who may be "louise"
wrote this:-

All our walls and ceilings have a black 'soot /
charcol' dust substance. It is that bad you can write your name in it!

Then you must live in a very polluted location. Generally one can
only see this discolouration on the wall fairly near the heater.
Shelves over the heater will deflect it away from the walls.

Inside the heaters also have this black dust.

This dust has come into the heater from the air passing through it.
Some of it has landed on the inside, the rest has continued through
the heater.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
louise

Thank you Peter but how come other apartments who use the heater more
have no dust or discolouration at all??

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On 7 Jun 2006 05:43:40 -0700, "louise"
wrote:

Thank you Peter but how come other apartments who use the heater more
have no dust or discolouration at all??

All will have some - but it may not become noticeable for some years.
Possibly they have been redecorated in the last year or so, possibly
they are a bit better placed not to pick up so many vehicle fumes.
Candles contribute quite a lot of carbon, particularly if they are
used to mask cigarette smoking. A combination of smokers and candles
burned for several hours a day to mask the smell will produce quite
heavy discolouration in a few months whilst a similar house with
non-smokers and no candles may not have noticeable marking for
several years.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have lived in my house for just 1 month and the whole house needs to be re decorated due to this - surely after 1 month and 1 candle burning for 2hrs a night over Christmas this shouldn't happen

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rs-254280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm in a brand new house 1 month and in the middle of nowhere so no pollution - need answers the place is disgusting even in my food cupboards and fridge

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rs-254280-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 19:31, caroline wrote:
I have lived in my house for just 1 month and the whole house needs to
be re decorated due to this - surely after 1 month and 1 candle burning
for 2hrs a night over Christmas this shouldn't happen

Candles are the big problem if it coincides with a lack of dusting and
vacuum cleaning, or if there is a lot of cooking based on frying.

The heaters are not responsible for the air bourne pollution in your house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 19:31, caroline wrote:
I'm in a brand new house 1 month and in the middle of nowhere so no
pollution - need answers the place is disgusting even in my food
cupboards and fridge

Generally, it will take around nine months to one year for a new home to
dry out. You need to open windows to create an airflow airflow or use a
dehumidifier to reduce the chances of mould occurring. Perhaps the black
staining is actually mould!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 20:43, Tim Streater wrote:
There are no emissions from electric storage heaters.

None in the house to be exact. The emissions are all from the power
station chimneys.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 22:05:38 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 11/01/2021 20:43, Tim Streater wrote:
There are no emissions from electric storage heaters.

None in the house to be exact. The emissions are all from the power
station chimneys.

Andy

......and from manufacturing wind turbines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes electric storage heaters are merely heating elements inside of bricks
that heat up then give off their heat after the electricity has gone off,
Even one candle seems to be a bit of a red herring. More likely to be damp
in a new house with drying plaster, etc and mould growing on it, though I
thought these days the stuff had a fungicide added, or maybe it was el
cheapo.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 11/01/2021 19:31, caroline wrote:
I have lived in my house for just 1 month and the whole house needs to be
re decorated due to this - surely after 1 month and 1 candle burning for
2hrs a night over Christmas this shouldn't happen

Candles are the big problem if it coincides with a lack of dusting and
vacuum cleaning, or if there is a lot of cooking based on frying.

The heaters are not responsible for the air bourne pollution in your
house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:26:52 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Candles are the big problem if it coincides with a lack of dusting and
vacuum cleaning, or if there is a lot of cooking based on frying.

Didn't read the original question because of HoH -- but a deposition of black
dust on walls can be an unlucky combination of volatile plasticisers (from
paint, furniture, plastics, etc.), heating, and volatile organic compounds.

More (but not much) to be googled by "fogging", "black magic dust", and "black
dwellings phenomenon".

Thomas Prufer

Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk? [email protected] Home Repair 23 December 30th 05 01:41 PM
Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters John Smith UK diy 31 July 11th 04 01:17 PM
Storage heaters Oshiponga UK diy 6 April 23rd 04 01:59 AM
Efficient Electric water storage heaters Neal Unitt-Jones UK diy 9 July 24th 03 08:29 PM
Costs for Gas Central heating from Electric storage Richard Markham UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:46 PM