Posted to uk.d-i-y
louise

Default Emissions from electric storage heaters

Thank you Peter but how come other apartments who use the heater more
have no dust or discolouration at all??

Peter Parry wrote:
On 6 Jun 2006 13:47:43 -0700, "louise"
wrote:

We live in a new build duplex (3 years old) which has dimplex electric
storage heaters. All our walls and ceilings have a black 'soot /
charcol' dust substance. It is that bad you can write your name in it!
Inside the heaters also have this black dust. We believe the heaters
have caused this. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

It is almost universal above any fixed heat producing device
including wall lights. The heat causes air to rise, the air carries
dust and traffic fumes which deposit on the walls. With lamps it can
take years to show up, with heaters much less time. The more the
heater is used the worse the problem becomes. Radiators have the
same effect but as they are often positioned under windows you don't
notice it.

The dust in the heater is similarly just airborne dust which has
deposited as air flows through it. If you live in urban pollution
the problem is exacerbated by the dirty air surrounding you.

Candles make things even worse by raising the pollution level and
providing nice sticky fumes for the dirt to adhere to.

It is not a fault with the heater.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/