Posted to uk.d-i-y
nonymouse

Default Duty cycle a joke!

Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
nonymouse writes
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

nonymouse wrote:
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

Yes, you are right. And yes, it is very poor.

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Go in together.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nonymouse

It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

What would you suggest then? I have been able to find very few mixer
showers that can accomodate exposed pipework down the wall (the shower
has to go on a working chimney breast so recessing the pipes probably
won't be a good idea). Most common mixer units now seem to have fallen
into the 'recessed flat and fashionable' status.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
nonymouse writes
It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

What would you suggest then?

Almos anything else ...

Every electric shower I've ever tried either gives a hot trickle or a
cold stream.

If you really have to have one, buy something half decent with
sufficient heat and staying power

.... which you have just discovered at your expense

I have been able to find very few mixer
showers that can accomodate exposed pipework down the wall (the shower
has to go on a working chimney breast so recessing the pipes probably
won't be a good idea). Most common mixer units now seem to have fallen
into the 'recessed flat and fashionable' status.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

nonymouse wrote:

Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

Sounds like it.

This is one of those single box solution "power showers" I take it? If
so look at a decent standalone pump. That way you can tuck it out of the
way and have it boost pressure and flow to all the taps in the bathroom.
Have a look at some Stuart Turner pumps for example.

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

nonymouse wrote:
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

I believe I've read the same notice on my shower unit too. In reality, we
have four consecutive showers of about 5 mins each. This doesn't seem to
have caused a problem yet. Unless there is some magic recording device
within the pump unit, then you'll get 5 years (the guarantee period)
showering pleasure!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

What would you suggest then? I have been able to find very few mixer
showers that can accomodate exposed pipework down the wall (the shower
has to go on a working chimney breast so recessing the pipes probably
won't be a good idea).

My mother has a Mira 415 with exposed pipework, so they are available. I
couldn't really recommend the Mira, though. Not only is it expensive and
non-thermostatic, it has a single knob control which means that you can't
set the temperature once and forget. You have to fiddle with it each time.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

My trusty good-old Triton T80si 9.5kW *electric* shower suffers from no such
duty cycle. We recently had the wife's family staying for the weekend (8 of
us in a 3-bed semi, dormer bungalow - deep joy) and it coped with all 8 of
us, one after the other.

Cast out the doom and gloom that the nay-sayers have planted and go and get
one - you know you want to )

Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Grunff" wrote in message
nonymouse wrote:
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

Yes, you are right. And yes, it is very poor.

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Go in together.

I can't believe that he showers alone. What's the point?

Mary

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Steve" wrote in message

My trusty good-old Triton T80si 9.5kW *electric* shower suffers from no
such duty cycle.

That's what ours is, we have had no problems of any kind with it.

We recently had the wife's family staying for the weekend (8 of us in a
3-bed semi, dormer bungalow - deep joy)

Could be worse ... could have been your family :-(

Or for more than a weekend. :-(((

and it coped with all 8 of us, one after the other.

There were seven of us before we kicked out the fearsome five, now they
bring the terrible ten when they visit, with spouses, sometimes to stay. And
if people think that a wife using ten minutes of shower is unreasonable they
should time teenage and tweenie girls ...

Cast out the doom and gloom that the nay-sayers have planted and go and
get one - you know you want to )

Yes. Do what you want then there's no-one else to blame if it goes wrong and
you can claim all the credit when it works to your satisfaction. Don't be
influenced by know-alls.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Go in together.

I can't believe that he showers alone. What's the point?

Perhaps he wants to get cleaner quicker than he gets dirty.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

"raden" wrote in message
In message .com,
nonymouse writes
It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

What would you suggest then?

Almos anything else ...

Every electric shower I've ever tried either gives a hot trickle or a cold
stream.

If you really have to have one, buy something half decent with sufficient
heat and staying power

... which you have just discovered at your expense

I assumed he was still at the research stage? It's "lined up" not
"purchased".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
charlieB

I presume the duty cycle is in the shower instruction manual.

The duty cycle almost certainly originates from the safety
certification of the shower. As part of the safety testing the
temperature of all the internal components and insulation is measured
and checked that it doesn't get too hot. most high power domestic
electrical equipment is operated on a duty cycle, this gets written
into the instruction manual and then the duty cycle is followed during
safety testing

the limiting temperature is the worst case component at the highest
ambient (air)operating that the shower is in - which will be warmer
than your typical bathroom temp

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

Charlie

nonymouse wrote:
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

Go in together.

I can't believe that he showers alone. What's the point?

Perhaps he wants to get cleaner quicker than he gets dirty.

A bit boring though ...

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced it
so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

My trusty good-old Triton T80si 9.5kW *electric* shower suffers from no such
duty cycle. We recently had the wife's family staying for the weekend (8 of
us in a 3-bed semi, dormer bungalow - deep joy) and it coped with all 8 of
us, one after the other.

Same here, Triton has been in for a good 12 years. (I am taking to the
bunker now before the flak starts).

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
charlieB

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced it
so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

so by your own admissions you know nothing about electic showers....

Simple comparison:

35kW combi vs 10kW electric shower - which is going to give a better
flow rate of nice warm water?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Grumps" wrote in message
mike wrote:
"Steve" wrote in
:

My trusty good-old Triton T80si 9.5kW *electric* shower suffers from
no such duty cycle.

Ditto my triton T90si pumped electric 10.5.

I can't imagine what this duty cycles about, for a power shower,
unless it uses all the hot water in 15 mins, and needs 45 mins to
heat up again.

An electric shower will give me a shower of unlimited length within
30 secs of getting in the door, whether the DHWs hot or not

And that is a selling point?!
You need an unlimited duration shower to deliver enough water to wash in.
hard hat and ear defenders on

don't be daft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"charlieB" wrote in message
ps.com...

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it
so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

so by your own admissions you know nothing about electic showers....

That's a reductio ad absurdum.

And you still can't spell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

Whoa, back up there a bit Mary )

In your reply to me timed at 11.28, when I mention "my trusty good-old
Triton T80si *electric* shower", you replied "That's what ours is, we have
had no problems of any kind with it.".

Now you're saying you don't have an electric shower???

Curious Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

Whoa, back up there a bit Mary )

In your reply to me timed at 11.28, when I mention "my trusty good-old
Triton T80si *electric* shower", you replied "That's what ours is, we have
had no problems of any kind with it.".

Now you're saying you don't have an electric shower???

Curious Steve.

Just seen the spelliung mistook - well spotted Mary, excellent )

No longer curious Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
charlieB

Mary Fisher wrote:
"charlieB" wrote in message
ps.com...

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it
so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

so by your own admissions you know nothing about electic showers....

That's a reductio ad absurdum.

no - but it is an assumption

And you still can't spell.

I can spell - just can't tpye.

I probably misinterpreted your initial response -as I missed that you
jumped onto my "electic shower" but would you care to explain why you
replied "Nobody knows everything." to my post?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"charlieB" wrote in message
ps.com...

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have
experienced
it
so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

so by your own admissions you know nothing about electic showers....

That's a reductio ad absurdum.

no - but it is an assumption

And you still can't spell.

I can spell - just can't tpye.

I probably misinterpreted your initial response -as I missed that you
jumped onto my "electic shower" but would you care to explain why you
replied "Nobody knows everything." to my post?

Because you said, " ... electic showers are usually crap :-)"

Unless you've experienced ever one you can't know.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Steve" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

Whoa, back up there a bit Mary )

In your reply to me timed at 11.28, when I mention "my trusty good-old
Triton T80si *electric* shower", you replied "That's what ours is, we have
had no problems of any kind with it.".

Now you're saying you don't have an electric shower???

No, I said I don't have an electic shower :-)

Mary

Curious Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Steve" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"charlieB" wrote in message
oups.com...

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

I don't have an electic shower but if I did you'd never have experienced
it so how would you know what it was like?

Nobody knows everything.

Whoa, back up there a bit Mary )

In your reply to me timed at 11.28, when I mention "my trusty good-old
Triton T80si *electric* shower", you replied "That's what ours is, we
have had no problems of any kind with it.".

Now you're saying you don't have an electric shower???

Curious Steve.

Just seen the spelliung mistook - well spotted Mary, excellent )

No longer curious Steve.

I was a proof reader in an earlier life. It becomes a habit ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

"Grumps" wrote in
:

I can't imagine what this duty cycles about, for a power shower,
unless it uses all the hot water in 15 mins, and needs 45 mins to
heat up again.

An electric shower will give me a shower of unlimited length within
30 secs of getting in the door, whether the DHWs hot or not

And that is a selling point?!

Absolutely

You need an unlimited duration shower to deliver enough water to wash in.
hard hat and ear defenders on

That's just what I've got

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

By the time my wife has finished, I'd need to let it stand for three hours
before I can get in.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:38:56 -0700, nonymouse wrote:

It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

What would you suggest then? I have been able to find very few mixer
showers that can accomodate exposed pipework down the wall (the shower
has to go on a working chimney breast so recessing the pipes probably
won't be a good idea). Most common mixer units now seem to have fallen
into the 'recessed flat and fashionable' status.

My gut reaction to this is "False". So I'll look in the s/fix catalogue
(say) for starters....

Yep. As I thought there's a stack to choose from. Many models being
available to fit in either style.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"mike" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Grumps" wrote in
:

I can't imagine what this duty cycles about, for a power shower,
unless it uses all the hot water in 15 mins, and needs 45 mins to
heat up again.

An electric shower will give me a shower of unlimited length within
30 secs of getting in the door, whether the DHWs hot or not

And that is a selling point?!

Absolutely

You need an unlimited duration shower to deliver enough water to wash in.
hard hat and ear defenders on

That's just what I've got

Me too. It goes on and on and on - and it does NOT dribble.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having finally decided against the electric shower option and lined up
a nice power shower, I find that the duty cycle is only 15mins
on/45mins off. I don't understand too much about this but am i right
in thinking this means you can only use it for 15mins in an hour!!!

This is bloody ridiculous. By the time my wife is out of the shower,
I'll get about 5 seconds worth!!

By the time my wife has finished, I'd need to let it stand for three hours
before I can get in.

If you refuse to change your shower get a solar water heater.

Mary

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message .com,
charlieB writes
I presume the duty cycle is in the shower instruction manual.

The duty cycle almost certainly originates from the safety
certification of the shower. As part of the safety testing the
temperature of all the internal components and insulation is measured
and checked that it doesn't get too hot. most high power domestic
electrical equipment is operated on a duty cycle, this gets written
into the instruction manual and then the duty cycle is followed during
safety testing

the limiting temperature is the worst case component at the highest
ambient (air)operating that the shower is in - which will be warmer
than your typical bathroom temp

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

THe OP isn't talking about an electric shower now, they are talking
about a power shower. We have a power shower that has a similar duty
cycle - a Aqualisa aquastream . This is one of the all in one type, with
the pump a small low voltage unit inside it.

In normal use we wouldn't go over that anyway.

But I would imagine that if this was really an issue, then a standalone
pump unit would have a much 'better' duty cycle
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
What would you suggest then? I have been able to find very few mixer
showers that can accomodate exposed pipework down the wall (the shower
has to go on a working chimney breast so recessing the pipes probably
won't be a good idea).

My mother has a Mira 415 with exposed pipework, so they are available. I
couldn't really recommend the Mira, though. Not only is it expensive and
non-thermostatic, it has a single knob control which means that you can't
set the temperature once and forget. You have to fiddle with it each time.

Christian.

I have to disagree with you Christian, I have a Mira 415EV and it is
fantastic. About two years ago I started muttering about my crap electric
shower, I live in Portsmouth and we have poor flow rates. I was expressly
forbidden to replace the electric shower, so I waited until SWMBO went
shopping. 1.5 hours later we had a lovely powerful ( in comparison) shower.
I needed it as I was in the sh@* when SWMBO got home, but it was not long
before she agreed, only about 12 months and never in public.

So basically I like my Mira.

Steve Dawson
(And that is where I am going now, goodnight)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus

On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:02:49 GMT, raden wrote:

In message .com,
nonymouse writes
It's prolly what happens when you buy cheap pikey crap and expect it to
function like a proper shower

Electric showers - spawn of the devil

What would you suggest then?

Almos anything else ...

Every electric shower I've ever tried either gives a hot trickle or a
cold stream.

If you really have to have one, buy something half decent with
sufficient heat and staying power

... which you have just discovered at your expense

The first line of the OP post clearly stated he had a power shower not
an electric shower!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus

On 1 Jun 2006 05:02:56 -0700, "charlieB"
wrote:

Unless you're running the shower for a very long time on a hot day I
wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem - other than electic showers
are usually crap :-)

Charlie

He hasnt got an electric shower. Hes got a power shower, dont know
what make or if it has a remote pump...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I have to disagree with you Christian, I have a Mira 415EV and it is
fantastic. About two years ago I started muttering about my crap electric
shower,

Well, if you are going to compare it with an electric shower, then it would
be very nice. However, I much prefer other designs of mixer with the two
missing features of the Mira present. Thermostatic control and separate
temperature and flow controls are important to me.

Christian.