Ed

Default Stainless steel sink - cleaning

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Christian McArdle

Any ideas?

Don't throw tea bags in the sink?

You'll need something mildly abrasive to clear out the marks. Proper cream
cleaner?

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Ed wrote:

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Caustic soda, 'Mr Muscle' oven cleaner, or, if you are a wuss, plain bleach.

The Natural Philosopher

Julian Fowler wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:48:30 +0100, "Ed" wrote:

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink

from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine

without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

We've found (over many years, SS sinks in three different houses) that
a strong solution of washing soda in very hot water, left to stand for
an hour or so, does a very good job of this. Of course, you're still
left with the area above the overflow, but this is probably less prone
to staining than the bottom of the sink -- a little elbow grease with
an abraisive pan cleaner soaked in the same solution does the trick.

I doubt, though, that any cleaner or cleaning method will return a SS
sink to its out-of-the-box appearance - its in the nature of the
material to become scratched and dulled over time ...

Then you can buff it with a buffing mop and T-cut :-)

HTH
Julian

parish

Ed wrote:

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Bleach, or a cleaner containing bleach such as Flash Kitchen Spray. We
use the latter to remove the tea stains from the worktop, sink, and even
the inside of cups.

Thanks very much.

parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:
Ed wrote:

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Bleach, or a cleaner containing bleach such as Flash Kitchen Spray. We
use the latter to remove the tea stains from the worktop, sink, and even
the inside of cups.

Of course it doesn't actually *remove* the stains, it just renders
them invisible (though if you're being pedantic I suppose a stain is
only a stain if it's visible). I discoverd this when I used bleach on
some photographic developer stains many years ago, they disappeared
beautifully but the moment some more developer hit them they became
instantly brown again.

Personally I think life's too short to want stainless steel to stay
pristine on the bottom of the sink.

--
Chris Green )
parish

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then you can buff it with a buffing mop and T-cut :-)

Solvol Autosol (if you can still get it) is much better for SS than T-Cut.

David

"Ed" wrote in message ...
I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Use my old granny's tried-and-tested method for removing said stains
from the inside of her teapot (why did she mind about it?!) - soak in
a fairly concentrated solution of clothes washing powder. Works a
treat with no need for abrasives.

David
Steve Rumsby

"David" wrote in message
om...
"Ed" wrote in message

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to

get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

Use my old granny's tried-and-tested method for removing said stains
from the inside of her teapot (why did she mind about it?!) - soak in
a fairly concentrated solution of clothes washing powder. Works a
treat with no need for abrasives.

Seconded.

I've used the same trick on both stainless steel teapots and sinks. A
generous helping of washing powder and hot water, and leave to soak for a
while. If doing this to a teapot, rinse thoroughly afterwards. And then
rinse again. And again. And then vow never to clean the thing ever again
because tea tastes 'orrible for ages afterwards!

On the other hand, on a sink it does a fantastic job.

Steve.

mike ring

"Ed" wrote in :

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting
to get a light tan hue from tea stains.

I've got a compe white sort of sink, and the instructions say it's not the
sink that stains, but limescale from water stains, and to use descaler.

I've found this works

mike r

Andrew Gabriel

In article 0,
mike ring writes:
"Ed" wrote in :

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting
to get a light tan hue from tea stains.

I've got a compe white sort of sink, and the instructions say it's not the
sink that stains, but limescale from water stains, and to use descaler.

Descalers can mark stainless(sic) steel, something which I know
first hand...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Suz

"Ed" wrote
I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to

get
a light tan hue from tea stains.
"Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Any

ideas?

Can't beat good old bleach. I can personally recommend a Tesco own brand -
Tesco Kitchen Cleaner Plus Bleach 500ml Trigger 88p.
Got it in a 2 for 1 offer with their bathroom one, not expecting much, but
I'm a sucker for offers. But - it removes every kind of stain known to man,
not bad on grease. Really cheap, but pongs to high heaven. Has an aura
that it might be one of Mr Burns of Springfield's by-products.
Bathroom one was rubbish, btw.

Dennis Wynes

"Ed" wrote in message ...
I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to

get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel

sink
from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine
without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy

shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now

I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

An excellent metal polish I've used on brass and stainless for years is
Wenol http://www.wenol.com/

---

stuart noble

Tomato ketchup is what they use in the catering trade I believe.
As for tea stains on china, try a dilute solution of Ribena overnight. I
once used washing powder to clean a saw blade. It certainly got rid of the
resin on the teeth but it badly pitted the metal so I don't think I'd want
it in my teapot.

Dennis Wynes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article 0,
mike ring writes:
"Ed" wrote in :

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting
to get a light tan hue from tea stains.

I've got a compe white sort of sink, and the instructions say it's not

the
sink that stains, but limescale from water stains, and to use descaler.

Descalers can mark stainless(sic) steel, something which I know
first hand...

--
Andrew Gabriel

An excellent descaler safe for use on stainless is "Phos" from Clover
Chemicals Ltd (01663 733114), it is also food industry safe.

---

Christian McArdle

Descalers can mark stainless(sic) steel, something which I know
first hand...

I know all about that one. Fine wet and dry paper is your friend.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

parish wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then you can buff it with a buffing mop and T-cut :-)

Solvol Autosol (if you can still get it) is much better for SS than T-Cut.

I haven't heard that name in years...I suspect you are completely right :-)

The Natural Philosopher

Ed wrote:

[...]

That is not *necessarily* so. Bleach and caustic soda work by chemical
recations. They change the chemical composition of what they bleach. If
teh end product is water souluble, it will simply wash away.

Viz a grease stain will end up as soap and be gone for ever.

The tendency of caustic is to rip other molecules apart, leaving
fragmenst with various groupings on them left over. Its very rarely a
reversible reaction. Well not without considerable equipment and
knowledge anyway

Anyway I use caustic on things like stained china and steel sinks, and
mainly, it's fine. I have ended up staing some things - can't recall
what - but mostly its pristine woderfulness afterwards. Beware of its
effects on plastc tho - can make tghe waste pipes brittle, so not to be
used too often.

Personally I think life's too short to want stainless steel to stay
pristine on the bottom of the sink.

The Natural Philosopher

mike ring wrote:

"Ed" wrote in :

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting
to get a light tan hue from tea stains.

I've got a compe white sort of sink, and the instructions say it's not the
sink that stains, but limescale from water stains, and to use descaler.

I've found this works

This is often, but not always, true.

mike r

sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 05:35 PM
Black pads underneath s/s sink? Bob Eager UK diy 3 August 8th 03 12:41 AM
damage to bath and sink nomit UK diy 7 August 6th 03 01:48 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM
Windows Cleaning - Source of 'extension poles' and are they any good? StevieBoy UK diy 2 July 25th 03 09:50 PM