The Natural Philosopher

Default Stainless steel sink - cleaning

Julian Fowler wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:48:30 +0100, "Ed" wrote:

I've only had the new Franke sink a few months and now it's starting to get
a light tan hue from tea stains.

So far I've bought Inox Creme ('the best care for every stainless steel sink

from Franke') but it is a gentle cream and just gives a brilliant shine

without removing stains. "Shiny Sinks" was sold to me by the local diy shop
but on my return home I decided it was too harsh and would not do. Now I'm
stuck as to what to use. Any ideas?

We've found (over many years, SS sinks in three different houses) that
a strong solution of washing soda in very hot water, left to stand for
an hour or so, does a very good job of this. Of course, you're still
left with the area above the overflow, but this is probably less prone
to staining than the bottom of the sink -- a little elbow grease with
an abraisive pan cleaner soaked in the same solution does the trick.

I doubt, though, that any cleaner or cleaning method will return a SS
sink to its out-of-the-box appearance - its in the nature of the
material to become scratched and dulled over time ...

Then you can buff it with a buffing mop and T-cut :-)

HTH
Julian