Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tying in - 73mm bricks abutting 65mm brick design

My extension will be built against the neighbours party wall, so
visually, I will be extending the rear wall from her extension across
mine. Her extension is built in the older 73mm bricks I think,
My design is standard 65mm bricks and 215mm high blocks inner leaf. The
design is to use wall starter plates anyway, to avoid cracking with the
different foundations, so there will be some visual discontinuity there
anyway. But should I just use 65mm bricks and have the join looking
rather obvious, or try to use the 73mm bricks ?
I'm not sure how this would fit with the inner leaf. Can you get taller
blocks ?
TIA,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

sm_jamieson wrote:
My extension will be built against the neighbours party wall, so
visually, I will be extending the rear wall from her extension across
mine. Her extension is built in the older 73mm bricks I think,

They aren't 73mm bricks, they're probably 3" ones.

My design is standard 65mm bricks and 215mm high blocks inner leaf. The
design is to use wall starter plates anyway, to avoid cracking with the
different foundations, so there will be some visual discontinuity there
anyway. But should I just use 65mm bricks and have the join looking
rather obvious, or try to use the 73mm bricks ?

You can get bricks that are taller than 65mm, if you use them
the job will IME look *much* better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They aren't 73mm bricks, they're probably 3" ones.
They are definitely 73mm, which is 2 7/8 ". They are listed as 73mm on
various building supplies.

How would I link in with the celcon blocks, which are designed for
3x65mm + 20mm mortar ?

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How would I link in with the celcon blocks, which are designed for
3x65mm + 20mm mortar ?

Furfix fittings. Thick beds or adjustable ties.

Me's thinking, BCO would fuss about thick beds on the celcon, since
this would reduce the
insulation spec. I guess a real bricky just fiddles with things as he
goes along.
I would want to design the blocks and tie layout before hand so I know
how they are going to fit.
Might be tricky since outer skin beds would be higher than usual, but
the ties must slope outwards rather than inwards.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

wrote:
I would want to design the blocks and tie layout before hand so I know
how they are going to fit.

Won't adjustable ties do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Won't adjustable ties do?
I don't know anything about these. Who manufactures these in the UK ?
Sound like a good idea. Are they like miniature wall starters ?
How do they attach ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

The helical shape gives excellent pull resistance, and is not
comparable to traditional fixings into aerated blocks.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Phil L wrote:
snip
They'll look like this after it's built:
_ ___
____/

OR:
____
\____

When you do ASCII art use a fixed width font - if the ties really look
like that it's a waste of time using them :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:
The helical shape gives excellent pull resistance, and is not
comparable to traditional fixings into aerated blocks.

dg

If so, can you get helical fixings for general use with aerated blocks
? Folks are always talking about difficulties fixing into these type of
blocks.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

dg wrote:
Phil L wrote:
wrote:
My extension will be built against the neighbours party wall, so
visually, I will be extending the rear wall from her extension
across mine. Her extension is built in the older 73mm bricks I
think,
My design is standard 65mm bricks and 215mm high blocks inner leaf.
The design is to use wall starter plates anyway, to avoid cracking
with the different foundations, so there will be some visual
discontinuity there anyway. But should I just use 65mm bricks and
have the join looking rather obvious, or try to use the 73mm bricks
? I'm not sure how this would fit with the inner leaf. Can you get
taller blocks ?
TIA,
Simon.

You just get normal ties and normal blocks, this is something that
brickies have to contend with every day, they just bend the ties up
or down to reach the course of brickwork, this is normal procedure
and the BCO will have seen it thousands of times.
They'll look like this after it's built:
_ ___
____/

OR:
____
\____

Where the / or \ is the cavity.

A properly constructed cavity wall should have the ties at 90 degrees
vertically and horizontally to the face of the wall. Bending the ties
is not good practice, and if they are angled to the inner leaf, then
moisture can run down to the inside wall. In addition, bent ties could
allow greater differential movement of the two leafs.

Its not normal practice, it is bad practice

dg

I didn't say it was good practice, only that it is common practice inthat
almost all brickies do it, it's the main reason why the old galvanised
'butterfly' ties were withdrawn about ten years back and replaced by
stainless steel, because they rust away where the brickie has give them a
clout with his trowel bending them to fit in with the courses.
I doubt the possibility of water ingress too, considering they have a
dripper in the centre

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Yes.

They are available as 'nails' and can be used to fix timber skirting,
frames, dado, curtain rails etc.

dg