Charlie S.

Default What to do with these bricks?

I'm starting a project to stabilize the porch. Before I can do much of
anything I have to remove a lot of loose bricks from underneath. These are
red bricks that came from an giant chimney we knocked down 25 years ago.

There are a lot a good bricks as well as a fair amount of broken up pieces.
Seems these bricks are fairly desirable to some construction type people.
The eyes of a couple people I spoke to really lit up when they saw them. I
guess the old brick is better than the newer brick in some way. They seemed
eager to tell me that they knew people who get them off my hands if I didn't
want them.

This has me thinking these bricks must have some value. I know at Home
Depot bricks cost about $0.69 each. I guess if I have a thousand bricks
this would be worth about $690. (I'm not sure how many I have as I've only
begun to dig them out.) Not all the bricks are mortar free. Although, most
of them are fairly clean. Is there a market for these bricks. If so, who
would I try to sell them to? How much would I charge?

From what I hear, there used to be a lot bricks lying around because of old
buildings and chimney's being knocked down. Now, a lot of places are
renovating and the availability of old brick has diminished.

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken up
bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

PrecisionMachinisT

"Charlie S." wrote in message

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken

up
bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

Maybe dig a hole and bury them ???

--

SVL

SteveB

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

From what I hear, there used to be a lot bricks lying around because of
old buildings and chimney's being knocked down. Now, a lot of places are
renovating and the availability of old brick has diminished.

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken
up bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

Really old used brick is more valuable than new. And don't toss those old
pieces. They are needed to fill in certain places, and a good mason will
want to use a piece instead of cutting up a good whole brick.

Check around locally, and see what suppliers get. Don't let someone sweet
talk you into giving them away. The ideal thing would be to have someone
buy them who is willing to dig them out and clean them and haul them off.
You just watch with a lemonade (or adult beverage of your choice) in hand.
Your time and labor is worth something if you have to do it.

Steve

SQLit

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

From what I hear, there used to be a lot bricks lying around because of

old
buildings and chimney's being knocked down. Now, a lot of places are
renovating and the availability of old brick has diminished.

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken

up
bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

Here in Phoenix we have a brick plant that tumbles the "new brick" to make
it look old. Cost about $2.00 a piece.
There are a ton of differences with brick the box store your compare to are
concrete. Not the same animal that you have.
Put an add in the paper

25 year old brick approximately 1000, you pick up $500.00

I will bet that the add brings at least 10 callers to your home.

Liz

"Charlie S." wrote in message

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken
up bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

If they were mine I'd advertise them on Craig's list (www.craigslist.net)
for best offer over $500.

Liz

SteveB

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
My mason friend would take them to a landfill if you paid him.

Ferget him. I'll do it.

How much will you pay me?

Steve ;-)

Charlie S.

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
My mason friend would take them to a landfill if you paid him.

Ferget him. I'll do it.

How much will you pay me?

Steve ;-)

You took too long to respond. You're no friend. I'll pay you $10 less than
I would pay him. Then again, if you admit you are really a friend of mine.
Then, I'll pay you $10 more.

SteveB

"Charlie S." wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
> [...]

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
My mason friend would take them to a landfill if you paid him.

Ferget him. I'll do it.

How much will you pay me?

Steve ;-)

You took too long to respond. You're no friend. I'll pay you $10 less
than I would pay him. Then again, if you admit you are really a friend of
mine. Then, I'll pay you $10 more.

I'll bring the beer, friend.

Steve

"SteveB" wrote in message
> [...]

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
My mason friend would take them to a landfill if you paid him.

Ferget him. I'll do it.

How much will you pay me?

Steve ;-)

You took too long to respond. You're no friend. I'll pay you $10 less
than I would pay him. Then again, if you admit you are really a friend
of mine. Then, I'll pay you $10 more.

I'll bring the beer, friend.

Wow, beer and a couple jars of vaseline and "what to do with these bricks?"
problem is solved! (-:

2-biz

Steve

Charlie S.

My mason friend would take them to a landfill if you paid him.

Ferget him. I'll do it.

How much will you pay me?

Steve ;-)

You took too long to respond. You're no friend. I'll pay you $10 less
than I would pay him. Then again, if you admit you are really a friend
of mine. Then, I'll pay you $10 more.

I'll bring the beer, friend.

Wow, beer and a couple jars of vaseline and "what to do with these
bricks?"
problem is solved! (-:

2-biz

2-biz, I guess with the vaseline reference you may be coyly expressing that
you'd be a closer friend. Sorry, can't help you.

Don't worry. If you want, I'll give you a few bricks. No need to bring
beer and you keep the vasoline for the next time you have a party. (please
..... don't invite me)

Tony

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:00:38 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Charlie S." wrote in message

Regardless of what I do with the good brick, I still have the old broken

up
bricks to dispose of. Any ideas on how I could get rid of them at the
cheapest cost?

Maybe dig a hole and bury them ???

Not to be a ball buster, but if you dig a hole and fill it with
bricks, where to you expect the displaced dirt to go?

bricks [email protected] UK diy 10 April 6th 05 07:05 AM
How to stick tiles on bricks that were faced with Portland cement Hiring Home Repair 2 August 30th 04 05:42 PM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 04:37 PM
Bricks above Patio door Tim Jenkins UK diy 2 October 7th 03 09:24 AM
Garage - thermal insulation of double bricks or "brick and block" Paul J S Green UK diy 6 September 16th 03 03:29 PM