Paul J S Green

Default Garage - thermal insulation of double bricks or "brick and block"

Thought i'd be presumptious & try again with different title

Again, I'm demolishing my old garage and building a new one 10m * 6.5m. I'm
in Scotland.

Thanks to John Rumm & Andy Weir for the responses on the trusses - still
looking at the options - and i'm trying to convert the autocad file into
something that'll show ok on the web!

Next problem - i've gone to a LOT of trouble to get reclaimed bricks and i
think it's worked out well - when i see the proof of the pudding, etc i'll
gladly publish for all to see.

my big question now is that i'd originally planned to do (reclaimed) facing
bricks and block inside. however, i'm now thinking that since i'm going to
so much trouble to be as original as possible on the reclaimed bricks (as
well as slates, cast gutters, etc) i should go for common bricks inside
instead of blocks - it really would give a much more traditional look even
if it was a bit more labour. some folk have said that i'll paint it white
inside anyway - maybe i will and maybe i won't, but i think that even if i
paint it white, brick outlines will look much more traditional than "block".

Obviously I'd like to get as much thermal efficiency / effectiveness as
practical, within reason..

Is there a big difference in Thermal Insulation (in practice) between:

facing brick and what's commonly known as "breeze block" or Thermalite,
and

heavy 80mm height facing brick backed by modern common brick?

Any recommendations for insulation in the cavity, or am i best to leave it
"void", which is my preference to prevent any damp conduction.

TIA (again)
Paul

Paul

Thanks for the reply mike.

If this is a garage, built as a free standing building without another
habitable building on top why are you putting in a cavity?

it is detached - about 100ft from the house at the bottom of the garden.

the reason i'm putting in a cavity is that i need reasonable insulation.
i'll be spending a lot of time in there and i also would like reasonable
temp / humidity control for comfort and the preservation of an old car.

additionally, in the fullness of time, i might want to put a small room in
the attic space (i'll create the roof using attic trusses) with velux,
settee, telly, etc for my wife to spend a bit of time while i'm pottering
about on projects at night. i'm good that way.

If you are building with a cavity then it is best to fill with insulation
batts.

what is this exactly? the architect has specified 50mm "cavity" - i'd
assumed it was empty.

Thermalite or similar will give a much better "U" value than commons

thanks - i had kinda assumed that the blocks would be better. however, i'd
love to keep things as original as possible and like the idea of common
bricks inside - it's a conservation area and i've already gone to a lot of
trouble to get a big garage to fit in unobtrusively.

my main concern is that i'll not lose a lot of heat with the right
brick/cavity/brick setup, compared to brick/cavity/block.

Obviously you have applied for planning and building regulations and
therefore your plans will give you an idea f what the local authority have
requested and passed

It seems they're not concerned at all about insulation, since it's a garage.

The foundations (700mm*450mm), etc are all defined to take quite a load
which i'm happy about.

all help appreciated

thanks again

paul

Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:05:04 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Paul" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Thanks for the reply mike.

Obviously you have applied for planning and building regulations and
therefore your plans will give you an idea f what the local authority have
requested and passed

It seems they're not concerned at all about insulation, since it's a garage.

Unless it is going to be heated. If you start insulating the walls,
they might get a bit suspicious and assume that you are going to heat
it. In which case you would have to insulate the walls, floor and
roof to meet the maximum U-value for a dwelling.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:34:42 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Paul" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I can portray brick/block or brick/brick more as a basic construction thing
to Building Control and not say a thing about heating it. They've already
approved brick/block.

also, i don't know if i should have _any_ insulation in the cavity - might
just be empty.

I don't know if you _are_ planning to heat it (you haven't said), but
if the Building Control Surveyor does his completion inspection and
there's a radiator in there, he may well require you to retro-fit some
insulation.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,
Tones it down" - Laurie Anderson
Paul

I can portray brick/block or brick/brick more as a basic construction
thing
to Building Control and not say a thing about heating it. They've

already
approved brick/block.

also, i don't know if i should have _any_ insulation in the cavity -

might
just be empty.

I don't know if you _are_ planning to heat it (you haven't said), but
if the Building Control Surveyor does his completion inspection and
there's a radiator in there, he may well require you to retro-fit some
insulation.
--

thanks again hugo.

i will definitely heat it at some point, but it will be after the completion
inspection.

i'd just like to know if i'll be losing much insulation by using brick/brick
instead of brick/block.

i'd really like the traditional look of bricks inside since i've gone to a
lot of trouble to get it looking as original as possible.

cheers
paul

Christian McArdle

Should an inspector visit for any reason, am I likely to be
required to insulate the garage? (The house is in Scotland.)

No. You aren't expected to bring existing arrangements up to modern
standards.

However, the room you describe will be costing you a fortune if you ever
turn that radiator on. You should, perhaps, think about insulating and
draught proofing anyway.

Christian.

S Viemeister

Christian McArdle wrote:

However, the room you describe will be costing you a fortune if you ever
turn that radiator on. You should, perhaps, think about insulating and
draught proofing anyway.

Eventually, I'd like to turn the garage, which is quite large, into
self-contained living quarters for visiting family - so it _will_ be
insulated and draught-proofed someday.

I think the radiator was put there by the previous owner to keep his dogs
comfortable - they were working dogs, not pampered pets. He was a
gamekeeper, and also kept a few sheep (not in the garage!).

Sheila