Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath

Default Installing microwave in overhead kitchen wall cabinet

Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind). I thought I'd seen this sort of thing, but looking
through some kitchen brochures perhaps I was imagining it. The problem
I think will be the depth of the microwave. The least deep microwave I
can find is 312mm. The standard depth for wall cupboards is 300mm. I
don't really want one of those chunky oven housings which are the full
depth of a work surface.

Does anyone know of any extra-shallow microwaves which would fit in an
overhead cupboard or have any other ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Micklem wrote:
in article , Martin
Pentreath at
wrote on 14/3/06 16:02:

Does anyone know of any extra-shallow microwaves which would fit in an
overhead cupboard or have any other ideas?

My parents have a NEFF that fits into a 30cm deep x 60 cm wide overhead
unit. I think these ones on the Comet website are similar models to theirs:
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/796.html

They don't seem very good value compared to the cheapest on offer at
Tescos/Argos/etc.

Ben

We have a Bosch micro built-in. It appears to be an adapter plate
fascia that clips into the cavity, with a standard-ish oven filling the
hole in the plate. No doubt much more expensive than a cheap, standard
oven.... I assume that the depth available is a standard for built-in
units like ovens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind). I thought I'd seen this sort of thing, but looking
through some kitchen brochures perhaps I was imagining it. The problem
I think will be the depth of the microwave. The least deep microwave I
can find is 312mm. The standard depth for wall cupboards is 300mm.

Sounds like a non-problem to me.

Much easier to have it on an open shelf than behind a door. It needs
the ventilation, and why open 2 doors rather than one? And why have a
risky corner sticking out at face level any time youre cooking?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind). I thought I'd seen this sort of thing, but looking
through some kitchen brochures perhaps I was imagining it. The problem
I think will be the depth of the microwave. The least deep microwave I
can find is 312mm. The standard depth for wall cupboards is 300mm. I
don't really want one of those chunky oven housings which are the full
depth of a work surface.

Does anyone know of any extra-shallow microwaves which would fit in an
overhead cupboard or have any other ideas?

Why not make a custom shelf unit 315mm deep to sit between two standard
wall units? You could then use the space above the microwave for those
lovely knick-knacks or your collection of cookery books

Even though the other units are 300mm deep, with their doors on they are
likely to be 312 - 315 mm anyway.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Does anyone know of any extra-shallow microwaves which would fit in an
overhead cupboard or have any other ideas?

Ours - a standard full-sized one - sits on a shelf in a custom-made
larder unit; the gap is just big enough for the oven (subject to
adequate ventilation requirements), and it sits at the front of the
shelf, giving an almost 'built-in' look.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind).

I put mine on microwave brackets under the boiler. Takes care of not
wanting to lose worktop real estate, but keeps ventilation ok.

Also saves a cupboard !

Cheers

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Martin Pentreath wrote :
Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind).

You might find that cupboard shelves are not really designed for the
weight, without additional reinforcement. You can however buy purpose
made microwave wall mounting brackets, with adjustable arm length.
These might be a better solution.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath

Many thanks for all the advice, it looks like I was worrying about
nothing.