Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing

Default Installing microwave in overhead kitchen wall cabinet

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind). I thought I'd seen this sort of thing, but looking
through some kitchen brochures perhaps I was imagining it. The problem
I think will be the depth of the microwave. The least deep microwave I
can find is 312mm. The standard depth for wall cupboards is 300mm. I
don't really want one of those chunky oven housings which are the full
depth of a work surface.

Does anyone know of any extra-shallow microwaves which would fit in an
overhead cupboard or have any other ideas?

Why not make a custom shelf unit 315mm deep to sit between two standard
wall units? You could then use the space above the microwave for those
lovely knick-knacks or your collection of cookery books

Even though the other units are 300mm deep, with their doors on they are
likely to be 312 - 315 mm anyway.

R.