Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing microwave in overhead kitchen wall cabinet

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Am I onto a loser here? I'm roughing out some plans for my (rather
small) kitchen. I want a microwave but I don't want it cluttering up
the worktop. My preferred solution would be to have it in one of the
over-counter wall cupboards (whether it's behind door or not I don't
really mind). I thought I'd seen this sort of thing, but looking
through some kitchen brochures perhaps I was imagining it. The problem
I think will be the depth of the microwave. The least deep microwave I
can find is 312mm. The standard depth for wall cupboards is 300mm.

Sounds like a non-problem to me.

Much easier to have it on an open shelf than behind a door. It needs
the ventilation, and why open 2 doors rather than one? And why have a
risky corner sticking out at face level any time youre cooking?

NT