Posted to uk.d-i-y
petergh

Default Choosing a make of combi boiler

Hello,
I plan to have another combination boiler (a condensing type!!!) fitted
to replace my existing chaffoteaux combi.
Vaillant & Worcester seem to be the choice of 2 plumbers that have
looked at the job.
Does anyone have thoughts on how to select a maker for similar ouput
boilers?
Thanks

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thorn

1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

Don't hear a lot about Vaillant tbh, more people complain to us about
British Gas's service (and did you know most of their condensing
boilers are worcesters?).

Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

Thorn

petergh wrote:
Hello,
I plan to have another combination boiler (a condensing type!!!) fitted
to replace my existing chaffoteaux combi.
Vaillant & Worcester seem to be the choice of 2 plumbers that have
looked at the job.
Does anyone have thoughts on how to select a maker for similar ouput
boilers?
Thanks

.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

oups.com...

petergh wrote:
Hello,
I plan to have another combination boiler (a condensing type!!!) fitted
to replace my existing chaffoteaux combi.
Vaillant & Worcester seem to be the choice of 2 plumbers that have
looked at the job.
Does anyone have thoughts on how to select a maker for similar ouput
boilers?
Thanks

.

Vaillant appear to test theirs too, some water ran out when I removed the
pipe end caps of my Turbomax28
when I first took it out of the box.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On 6 Feb 2006 15:09:26 -0800, "Thorn" wrote:

1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

Had a 28 CDI installed on Friday.

Very pleased with it so far, except Wifey is beginning to annoy by
constantly dashing around and adjusting the TRVs all day.

And the plumber comes back tomorrow to initiate us into the mysteries
of the programme buttons, we gave up. (We missed the bit where it says
"Turn the gas off", I think ) )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
Thorn writes
1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

Ooh, someone to poke sticks at

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

Don't hear a lot about Vaillant tbh, more people complain to us about
British Gas's service (and did you know most of their condensing
boilers are worcesters?).

Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

I got given a 28i Junior last year ...

OP - Yes, joking apart, most of the fitters I talk to say Worcester or
Vaillant
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Andy wrote:

Vaillant appear to test theirs too, some water ran out when I removed the
pipe end caps of my Turbomax28
when I first took it out of the box.

Same on my Ideal when I took the shipping plugs out of the pipes...
don't know what you can read into that though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On 6 Feb 2006 15:09:26 -0800, "Thorn" wrote:

1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

Don't hear a lot about Vaillant tbh, more people complain to us about
British Gas's service (and did you know most of their condensing
boilers are worcesters?).

Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

Thorn

Are there any jobs at the moment for engineers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andy wrote:

Vaillant appear to test theirs too, some water ran out when I removed the
pipe end caps of my Turbomax28
when I first took it out of the box.

Same on my Ideal when I took the shipping plugs out of the pipes... don't
know what you can read into that though.

Knowing that crap company, they probably dropped it in water by mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Thorn" wrote in message
oups.com...
1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,

What are those?

but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

Don't hear a lot about Vaillant tbh, more people complain to us about
British Gas's service (and did you know most of their condensing
boilers are worcesters?).

The Glow Worm condensing boilers take some beating on quality design and
price. I would go Glow Worm before Worcester..... and I like Worcester.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message .com, Thorn
writes
1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

Ooh, someone to poke sticks at

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

Don't hear a lot about Vaillant tbh, more people complain to us about
British Gas's service (and did you know most of their condensing
boilers are worcesters?).

Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

I got given a 28i Junior last year ...

OP - Yes, joking apart, most of the fitters I talk to say Worcester or
Vaillant

I know one fitter who recommends boilers if they are quick and simple to
fit. He hasn't a clue what goes on under the cover and knows nothing of the
long term reliability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Thorn" wrote in message
oups.com...
1st time post, be nice to me

I work for Worcester. Shhhh!!

If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) -

How is the Bosch takeover affecting the company? Is the design German?
German components? Will the Worcester name be dropped is favour of just
Bosch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 6 Feb 2006 15:09:26 -0800 Thorn wrote :
If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

When I was at the last Interbuild there was a film running on the W-B
stand showing this. The guy who was talking to us told us about when he
was talking some installers on a factory tour. They got to the test rig
and when the boiler was filled water came spraying out from somewhere.
He said that he wished the floor would open up, but instead one of the
group said "better here than when I've got it hung - I'll definitely be
buying these in future".

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:56:08 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
The Glow Worm condensing boilers take some beating on quality design
and price. I would go Glow Worm before Worcester..... and I like
Worcester.

My Glow-worm CXi combi is now two years old and has been first class.
But the designer obviously never talked to a service engineer. A minor
rearrangement of components would make the condensate trap removal a no
tools job - instead it is a curse and graze knuckles job.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:14:10 -0000, "Andy"
wrote:

Vaillant appear to test theirs too, some water ran out when I removed the
pipe end caps of my Turbomax28
when I first took it out of the box.

I'm 99.9% sure that all boiler manufacturers test their products
before they are shipped.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

I got given a 28i Junior last year ...

OP - Yes, joking apart, most of the fitters I talk to say Worcester
or Vaillant

I know one fitter who recommends boilers if they are quick and simple
to fit. He hasn't a clue what goes on under the cover and knows nothing
of the long term reliability.

But you're not a fitter - you're not even CORGI registered

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:55:23 GMT, raden wrote:

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

I got given a 28i Junior last year ...

OP - Yes, joking apart, most of the fitters I talk to say Worcester
or Vaillant

I know one fitter who recommends boilers if they are quick and simple
to fit. He hasn't a clue what goes on under the cover and knows nothing
of the long term reliability.

But you're not a fitter - you're not even CORGI registered

The company seems correct on the other points though.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:37:50 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 6 Feb 2006 15:09:26 -0800 Thorn wrote :
If I am honest, the boilers are really good (and I don't get paid to
say that!) - There are certain models that play up more than others,
but we do test *every* boiler that goes out. I've seen it done.

When I was at the last Interbuild there was a film running on the W-B
stand showing this. The guy who was talking to us told us about when he
was talking some installers on a factory tour. They got to the test rig
and when the boiler was filled water came spraying out from somewhere.
He said that he wished the floor would open up, but instead one of the
group said "better here than when I've got it hung - I'll definitely be
buying these in future".

Pretty much a true with any product/service scenario. Ironically,
it's better to have a problem and show the customer your avbility to
fix it than never to have had a problem and to bull**** that you never
do.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thorn

Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

As for which ones are most problematic, well am guessing that no-one in
my dept. has the savvy to use a Usenet group so I would say avoid
Highflow 400s and CBi models (cast iron heat exchangers).

Let's hope I'm right about Usenet eh?

Thorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com, Thorn
writes
Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

Worcester-Bosch don't like me ...

As for which ones are most problematic, well am guessing that no-one in
my dept. has the savvy to use a Usenet group so I would say avoid
Highflow 400s and CBi models (cast iron heat exchangers).

Let's hope I'm right about Usenet eh?

Thorn

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message . com, Thorn
writes
Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

Worcester-Bosch don't like me ...

Maxie, why not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Thorn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

As for which ones are most problematic, well am guessing that no-one in
my dept. has the savvy to use a Usenet group so I would say avoid
Highflow 400s and CBi models (cast iron heat exchangers).

Is that the Greenstar Highflow 440?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes
Either way I am jealous whatever you choose - I can't afford a
Worcester lol, mind you I can't afford a whole new system to stick it
on.

I got given a 28i Junior last year ...

OP - Yes, joking apart, most of the fitters I talk to say Worcester or
Vaillant

I know one fitter who recommends boilers if they are quick and simple to
fit. He hasn't a clue what goes on under the cover and knows nothing of
the long term reliability.

But you're not a fitter - you're not even CORGI registered

Maxie, I said "I know one fitter who recommends boilers if they are quick
and simple to fit." You must pay attention Maxie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:40:46 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Thorn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

As for which ones are most problematic, well am guessing that no-one in
my dept. has the savvy to use a Usenet group so I would say avoid
Highflow 400s and CBi models (cast iron heat exchangers).

Is that the Greenstar Highflow 440?

Surely it's not a cast iron clunker, is it?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

I was in charge of a large computerised test facility. I had programs
written to simulate realistic use, but times 10, and run these overnight to
ensure the product did as it was supposed to do when delivered.

Each morning we would come in and look at the banks of monitors to see which
were still running and asess why those aspect still not running dropped out.

One morning we went in and a bunch of fellas were in there. We didn't know
who the hell they were. But we noticed thing were not right on the test and
we started to shout at each other across the lab all the log details and
what was stilling running and why some had dropped out, while drinking
coffee at the same time in plastic cups and throwing the empty cups in bins
and missing. Half of the fellas were more interested in us and what we were
doing than the company man speaking to them. The bunch of fellas left. We
found out they were a group from a big govmt dept who the company were
highly competitively tendering, and they were being shown around, and how
one large project worked. We thought they were an internal group being
shown around, so didn't give a hoot.

We found out later that we got the contract and what swayed them, and they
put this on paper, was the professionalism of the testing unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:40:46 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Thorn" wrote in message
roups.com...
Come on then, poke sticks lads!!

Yes they need engineers. Can't meet demand atm.

As for which ones are most problematic, well am guessing that no-one in
my dept. has the savvy to use a Usenet group so I would say avoid
Highflow 400s and CBi models (cast iron heat exchangers).

Is that the Greenstar Highflow 440?

Surely it's not a cast iron clunker, is it?

The Greenstar 440 has the aluminium Greenstar condensing heat exchanger.
The non-condensing 400 unit is cast iron. Please buy the 400.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

I was in charge of a large computerised test facility. I had programs
written to simulate realistic use, but times 10, and run these
overnight to ensure the product did as it was supposed to do when
delivered.

.... ...

up being shown around, so didn't give a hoot.

We found out later that we got the contract and what swayed them, and
they put this on paper, was the professionalism of the testing unit.

Oh dear ...

Who forgot to take his pills then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:59:15 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but this was a government department. What were you testing?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

news
wrote:

[...]

Matt, I bet you would like to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

I was in charge of a large computerised test facility. I had programs
written to simulate realistic use, but times 10, and run these overnight
to ensure the product did as it was supposed to do when delivered.

... ...

up being shown around, so didn't give a hoot.

We found out later that we got the contract and what swayed them, and they
put this on paper, was the professionalism of the testing unit.

Oh dear ...

Who forgot to take his pills then ?

Maxie, what are you on about. Now go and unwind with a nice stiff drink
while wearing your polka-dot frock and hobnail boots.