Col

Default Advice on choosing combi boiler?

Forgive any mis-use of terminology - I'm no expert on boilers etc.
I currently have two gas boilers, both in my kitchen. One gives
instantaneous hot water, the other does the central heating only. With a
re-fit of the kitchen coming up I am considering replacing these two with a
single combi boiler (to save some space), but am unsure of what to get or
what is actually available. The few combis that I have seen have a
pressurised part (the heating circuit, I presume) but I'm not keen on
risking my ageing pipework with one of those - so is it possible to get
combis which are un-pressurised? (and what's the advantage of pressurised
anyway?)
BTW - The only other room which has hot/cold water is the bathroom, which is
next to the kitchen, and both are on the ground floor. Therefore I'd rather
not go to the hassle of hot-water cylinders etc upstairs.

BillR

Col wrote:
Forgive any mis-use of terminology - I'm no expert on boilers etc.
I currently have two gas boilers, both in my kitchen. One gives
instantaneous hot water, the other does the central heating only.
With a re-fit of the kitchen coming up I am considering replacing
these two with a single combi boiler (to save some space), but am
unsure of what to get or what is actually available. The few combis
that I have seen have a pressurised part (the heating circuit, I
presume) but I'm not keen on risking my ageing pipework with one of
those - so is it possible to get combis which are un-pressurised?

No.
Your pipework should be up to it, combis only operate on 1-2Bar.
I recently fitted a combi on such an ancient system.
There was some small leakage from 1 or 2 the rad valves which was easily
fixed with the Fernox stuff in a cartridge.
The new setup is greatly appreciated by the resident. Less than 1/2 the
space is used by the new more efficient boiler and she lost all the grottty
old header tanks, separate pump etc.

(and what's the advantage of pressurised anyway?)
BTW - The only other room which has hot/cold water is the bathroom,
which is next to the kitchen, and both are on the ground floor.
Therefore I'd rather not go to the hassle of hot-water cylinders etc
upstairs.

Ed Sirett

Col wrote:

[...]

For you a combi boiler (see the main FAQ) is probably the way to go.

The pipework is probably going to be OK unless it's buried in concrete.
The rads if they are already seriously corroded may fail when they first
have to take pressure.
Some boiler instructions tell you to go up to 2.7 bar as a commissioning
test, if they survive that and yu add corrosion inhibitor you have
nothing to fear.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Recommendations for a New Combi Boiler Les Gaz UK diy 8 September 3rd 03 09:13 PM
Combi boiler advice, please Dave Jennings UK diy 7 August 26th 03 05:00 PM
Combi Boiler / poor pressure brucej UK diy 12 August 21st 03 08:55 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM