Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Carver

Default Low Energy Bulbs

Our kitchen has six 60 watt R63 spotlight lamps, which of course means
that the running cost is around 2-3p/h. It's a 'dark' kitchen, so the
lamps are on for a considerable amount of time each day.

I'm tempted by a direct low energy replacement featured on this page:-

http://www.yourwelcome.co.uk/acatalo...tisements.html

Does anybody have experience of these particular types. Light output,
time taken to reach full output, 'scatter' of beam etc ?

I realise the most practical solution is to forget the spots, and bung
in a couple of bog standard Fluorescent tubes, but you know what
SWMBOs are like :-)

TIA

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mark Carver writes:
Our kitchen has six 60 watt R63 spotlight lamps, which of course means
that the running cost is around 2-3p/h. It's a 'dark' kitchen, so the
lamps are on for a considerable amount of time each day.

I'm tempted by a direct low energy replacement featured on this page:-

http://www.yourwelcome.co.uk/acatalo...tisements.html

Does anybody have experience of these particular types. Light output,
time taken to reach full output, 'scatter' of beam etc ?

If you are referring to the 11W R63, I would expect its light
output to be similar to a 40W lamp. They will be floodlamp
rather than spotlamp beam pattern, i.e. less light on beam
centre but wider spread of light. Depending on syle of fitting,
you could get more glare from them than real R63's, but could
also be less. Can't comment on run-up time which is going to
be very manufacturer dependant. If your fittings are closed
cans, the lack of ventilation could reduce the lamp life.

Will your fittings take R80 lamps? Some R63 fittings have
adjustable lampholder height and a removable collar which
means they can take R80 lamps. A closed can type is most
unlikely to be able to do so though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:26:53 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

I realise the most practical solution is to forget the spots, and bung
in a couple of bog standard Fluorescent tubes, but you know what
SWMBOs are like :-)

Yes, they do what's best for the running costs of the house, offers
the best practical lighting solution and most benefit to the
environment ... don't they? If they don't you aren't informing them
properly? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

With 2 x 6' flouro's in the kitchen .. and because it's the best lit
room in the house I'm about to get my antistatic mat out, go out there
and fit a new CCFL backlight (co-incidently) to a laptop ... ;-)

p.p.s I popped round a mates yesterday and as I pulled up the bloke
opposite (identical new posh house) was up his step ladders doing
summat with some lights in the veranda. As my mate came out they said
'Hi' and my mate asked what he was up to. He answered he was changing
some *more* mini spot lighs and was getting fed up doing the same day
in / day out? My mate conceeded and asked if there was anything that
they could be replaced with ... I said nothing ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:26:53 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

I realise the most practical solution is to forget the spots, and bung
in a couple of bog standard Fluorescent tubes, but you know what
SWMBOs are like :-)

Our a combination, flories to bring the light level up and spots to
illuminate work places. Remebering that spots behind you don't illumate
the work place as you are working in your own shadow, the more diffuse
and general light from a flory doesn't suffer quite as badly.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:26:53 +0000 someone who may be Mark Carver
wrote this:-

Our kitchen has six 60 watt R63 spotlight lamps, which of course means
that the running cost is around 2-3p/h. It's a 'dark' kitchen, so the
lamps are on for a considerable amount of time each day.

I'm tempted by a direct low energy replacement featured on this page:-

http://www.yourwelcome.co.uk/acatalo...tisements.html

Does anybody have experience of these particular types. Light output,
time taken to reach full output, 'scatter' of beam etc ?

If you go to a B&Q big red tin shed then you should be able to find
a low energy R63 replacement for just under ten pounds. They are
made by General Electric as part of a range that also includes R80
replacements, sold for just under twenty pounds in B&Q. Both are
only slightly longer (perhaps 10mm) than the filament bulbs they
replace.

If the lamps are on all the time then startup time is not a great
problem. However, they do take perhaps 5 seconds to reach full
output. Light output is good, not too harsh. The beam is not as
compact as a filament lamp, it could never be, but good reflector
design means it is not as wide as one may think.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh