Ian Cornish

Default Energy Saving bulbs / Stylish light fittings

Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can buy good quality stylish (modern) light
fittings that do like energy saving bulbs, or where I can get energy
saving versions of halogen bulbs?

Rgds,

Ian
Harry Bloomfield

Ian Cornish wrote on 14/08/2005 :
Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use halogen
bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can buy good quality stylish (modern) light fittings
that do like energy saving bulbs, or where I can get energy saving versions
of halogen bulbs?

There are no energy saving versions of halogen lamps, however they are
reputed to provide slightly more light out per watt than ordinary
tungston lamps.

To use energy saver lamps you would need to buy fittings intended for
ordinary tungston lamps and use energy savers instead.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Chris

Ian Cornish wrote:
Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can buy good quality stylish (modern) light
fittings that do like energy saving bulbs, or where I can get energy
saving versions of halogen bulbs?

Rgds,

Ian

GU10 halogen energy saver bulbs:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3638

R50 spot energy savers:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3608

I bought some of the R50 energy savers from Homebase - they may do GU10
energy savers as well.

HTH

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
Slurp

"Chris" wrote in
message ...
Ian Cornish wrote:
Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can buy good quality stylish (modern) light
fittings that do like energy saving bulbs, or where I can get energy
saving versions of halogen bulbs?

Rgds,

Ian

GU10 halogen energy saver bulbs:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3638

R50 spot energy savers:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3608

I bought some of the R50 energy savers from Homebase - they may do GU10
energy savers as well.

HTH

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

CPC do a 9W version as well, and cheaper. I bought a load of 9W replacement
ones, and if anything I would say they *appear* brighter than the standard
GU10. Of course the colour temp is not the same and they take about a minute
to reach full brightness.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=LP02362&N=411

Slurp

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Cornish "icornish at talk21 dot com" writes:
Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

Completely sympathise here. Many of the light fittings I
buy, I subsequently modify to take energy efficiency lamps
(although I tend to avoid fittings with visibly exposed
lamps anyway).

The quality of light fittings available today is very
disappointing. I know cost is key nowadays, but in many
cases, it wouldn't actually cost any extra to have made
them without some of the more obvious common design
mistakes. I sometimes build light fittings from scratch
as I can't find what I want, often using parts such as
the glassware from other light fittings.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Owain

Ian Cornish wrote:
Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.
Does anyone know where I can buy good quality stylish (modern) light
fittings that do like energy saving bulbs, or where I can get energy
saving versions of halogen bulbs?

Independent lighting shops usually only display the 'ordinary' versions,
but if you ask to look at their manufacturers' catalogues you will find
that quite a lot (about a third, last time I looked) are either suitable
for BC or ES energy saving bulbs, or can be obtained with control gear
for small fluorescents. They're used in pubs and hotels.

They will tend to be the bigger fittings with diffusers as there's no
equivalent of the small point source halogen in fluoro.

Owain

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:14:00 +0100, Ian Cornish "icornish at talk21 dot
com" wrote:

Most of the "stylish" light fittings on the high street seem to use
halogen bulbs, and are totally incompatible with energy saving bulbs.

"Stylish" doesn't necessarily imply halogen or energy saving.

As tasklights, halogens are excellent and may even save energy - I read
in bed with a 20W bare capsule halogen, whereas years ago this would
have been a 60W bog-incandescent. Although the light output is less
than a compact fluo of maybe 11W, it's so much brighter (intensity in a
given area) that it's a more efficient use of power. To read with a CF
I'd be using at least 11W and probably wanting more.

As to room lighting, then halogens are by and large a disappointment.
Plenty of them for retail sale, but how many people are _really_ happy
with the end result?

If you go along to TLC or somewhere you'll find a large range of
fittings that are perfectly at home with CFs.

Chip

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:23:42 +0100,it is alleged that Ian Cornish
"icornish at talk21 dot com" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

TLC ? Who/where is that ?

http://tlc-direct.co.uk/

[snip]

--
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Ian Cornish

Maplin seem to do them too, and cheaper than CPC.

Not tried them(yet)

Slurp wrote:
"Chris" wrote in
message ...

Ian Cornish wrote:

[...]

Slurp

"Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com" wrote in message
Maplin seem to do them too, and cheaper than CPC.

Not tried them(yet)

You mean
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46290&doy=20m8
They only seem to do the 7W version at £7.99 (35W equivalent)

The CPC version is 9W and £7.55 in quantities of 5 or more.(£8.18 one off)

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:11:14 +0100, "Slurp" wrote:

"Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com" wrote in message
Maplin seem to do them too, and cheaper than CPC.

Not tried them(yet)

You mean
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...46290&doy=20m8
They only seem to do the 7W version at £7.99 (35W equivalent)

The CPC version is 9W and £7.55 in quantities of 5 or more.(£8.18 one off)

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=LP02362&N=411

But Maplins include VAT, so the Farnell prices become £8.87 & £9.61,
or £9.13 & £8.42 for the 7W.

Can I Mix 40 Watts and 25 Watts Light Bulbs in One Fixture? [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 31st 18 05:02 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM