Default Energy Saving Bulbs Buzzing

Just put on a few energy saving bulbs and I can hear them "buzzing" a
bit, is that normal? Maybe they are florencent bulbs so it's normal
that they buzz.

Also, I put them on the ceiling fan which has a power control. The
box say that do not use these bulbs in a socket with power control.
If I'm not concern about bulb longevity, is it OK to put them on the
ceiling fan with maximum power on?

Thanks.
Noozer

wrote in message
Just put on a few energy saving bulbs and I can hear them "buzzing" a
bit, is that normal? Maybe they are florencent bulbs so it's normal
that they buzz.

They are most likely fluorescent. Buzzing is common, but should not be
"normal".

Also, I put them on the ceiling fan which has a power control. The
box say that do not use these bulbs in a socket with power control.
If I'm not concern about bulb longevity, is it OK to put them on the
ceiling fan with maximum power on?

No... You'll burn out the control.

Art

I recently installed an indoor flood and outdoor flood. We are satisfied
with both and the outdoor flood starts up fine even in very cold weather as
promised by the manufactuer. We will change to these as the old
incandescent ones burn out.

wrote in message
Just put on a few energy saving bulbs and I can hear them "buzzing" a
bit, is that normal? Maybe they are florencent bulbs so it's normal
that they buzz.

Also, I put them on the ceiling fan which has a power control. The
box say that do not use these bulbs in a socket with power control.
If I'm not concern about bulb longevity, is it OK to put them on the
ceiling fan with maximum power on?

Thanks.

bumtracks

there's a lot of variables
I've a 52" Emerson paddle fan with a Nutone vari speed control thats had
various fluorescent bulbs in it over the last 15yrs with never a single
problem except replacing bulbs about every two yrs or so as its almost
always on except maybe 4hrs daily . Yea and sometimes a bulb will
sometimes be heard slightly buzzing when everything is quiet.

"Noozer" wrote in message

wrote in message
Just put on a few energy saving bulbs and I can hear them "buzzing" a
bit, is that normal? Maybe they are florencent bulbs so it's normal
that they buzz.

They are most likely fluorescent. Buzzing is common, but should not be
"normal".

Also, I put them on the ceiling fan which has a power control. The
box say that do not use these bulbs in a socket with power control.
If I'm not concern about bulb longevity, is it OK to put them on the
ceiling fan with maximum power on?

No... You'll burn out the control.

How do the bulbs work in a regular lamp?
Your not using cheap dollar store compact flourescents are you?

Matt

Some manufacturers use insects (typically wasps or hornets) to test
their bulbs. Sometimes the insects are not pulled out of the bulb
before the bulb is sealed, and the end result is a buzzing bulb. You
can take the bulb back to the factory for a swap, or just live with it.
I recommend you just live with it - I took some back once and they
laughed at me, and then when I wouldn't leave and my facial tic started
acting up again, they called the cops on me.

The reason some bulbs buzz is they are made for outdoor or commercial
locations. Buy a yellow bug lamp compact fluorescent, and it will buzz
like a bugger. Go to home depot and buy a regular indoor compact
fluorescent, and it should be absolutely silent. Cheapos bought
elsewhere may just be noisy, since I guess its takes more $$$ to make a
super-high-frequency bulb.

Energy Saving Bulbs & Time Switches. Mr Lawes UK diy 5 December 18th 04 10:27 AM
Engery saving bulbs again. PhilÅ UK diy 9 December 13th 04 05:06 PM
Oil/Pellet Stoves? Bill LaFleur Home Ownership 285 November 18th 04 09:33 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM