PhilÅ

Default Engery saving bulbs again.

Hello

I have a light fitting which is rated at 60W

It is a large screw type in a normal bulb shape.

Now thing is it is too dark for the area it is supposed to light. Can't
easily change the fitting, so I can use a florescent one which has a screw
fitting and is bulbed shaped with a higher equivalent wattage can't I.

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

Any help appreciated.

Phil

Lurch

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:54:16 -0000, "PhilÅ"
strung together this:

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

I've got loads in the garage, probably not a lot of use unless you're
near here! I got them from CEF, Omnicron brand I think.
--

SJW
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PhilÅ wrote:
I have a light fitting which is rated at 60W

It is a large screw type in a normal bulb shape.

Now thing is it is too dark for the area it is supposed to light. Can't
easily change the fitting, so I can use a florescent one which has a
screw fitting and is bulbed shaped with a higher equivalent wattage
can't I.

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find
the connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

Any help appreciated.

Worth checking out a shed or Ikea. Or even a large supermarket. Should get
most of what's available there. If it were BC, Ikea not probably much use,
but fine for ES.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Weatherlawyer

With those things you might be better off getting a new holder. Get a
three bulb holder and a dimmer switch. And a small electrician's
screwdriver. It won't take long to change them.

If you live in a council property or a cheap rented home, get new
fittings anyway as the quality of council fixtures and fittings is
usually dire.

Those bulbs can last ages as they are not so susceptble to voltage
changes or whatever it is that causes ordinary ones to go ping.

vortex2

"

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat30_1.htm

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:54:16 -0000, Phil wrote:

so I can use a florescent one which has a screw fitting and is
bulbed shaped with a higher equivalent wattage can't I.

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??.

Any of the sheds and many supermarkets have bulb shaped ES "compact"
flourescents. Note that the bulb bit of "compact" lamp still tends to
be a bit bigger than an ordinary GLS bulb. This may or may not be a
problem depending on the fitting. Personally I avoid an enclosed CFL
bulbs you loose some of the light going through yet another layer of
glass probably frosted...

If the size is still a problem look in the larger sheds for coil type
CFLs these aren't quite as long as bulb or straight ones.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

logized

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Hello

I have a light fitting which is rated at 60W

It is a large screw type in a normal bulb shape.

Now thing is it is too dark for the area it is supposed to light. Can't
easily change the fitting, so I can use a florescent one which has a screw
fitting and is bulbed shaped with a higher equivalent wattage can't I.

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

Any help appreciated.

Phil

Ikea sells screw and bayonet types very cheap - problem is the most popular
size is 11Watts, which is equivalent to a 60W bulb - so you will want a
higher power type, which are available - but may be too long for your light
fitting. So check what size can fit first.
I once found a spiral 20W type which was very compact - but have not seen
them for sale anywhere recently.

Dave

Keith G. Powell

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
Hello

I have a light fitting which is rated at 60W

It is a large screw type in a normal bulb shape.

Now thing is it is too dark for the area it is supposed to light. Can't
easily change the fitting, so I can use a florescent one which has a screw
fitting and is bulbed shaped with a higher equivalent wattage can't I.

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

Any help appreciated.

Phil

B&Q have a large range of bulbs on display - anyway they do in Leicester

Keith G. Powell

Christian McArdle

Any one got any ideas where to get a bulb like this??. I can only find the
connector with the two sticky out things, or long bulby bits??

Look harder. They are as easy to find as the bayonet cap types, at least at
a reasonable DIY store, or online.

If the bulb is not visible in the fitting, consider spiral type bulbs
without the outer envelope. The lack of envelope and efficient shape gets
you more watts into the small space.

However, I've had variable experiences with these bulbs. I had some branded
ones with an awful colour spectrum and cheap unbranded ones from B&Q with an
excellent one.

Christian.