Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

Default Low Energy Bulbs

In article ,
Mark Carver writes:
Our kitchen has six 60 watt R63 spotlight lamps, which of course means
that the running cost is around 2-3p/h. It's a 'dark' kitchen, so the
lamps are on for a considerable amount of time each day.

I'm tempted by a direct low energy replacement featured on this page:-

http://www.yourwelcome.co.uk/acatalo...tisements.html

Does anybody have experience of these particular types. Light output,
time taken to reach full output, 'scatter' of beam etc ?

If you are referring to the 11W R63, I would expect its light
output to be similar to a 40W lamp. They will be floodlamp
rather than spotlamp beam pattern, i.e. less light on beam
centre but wider spread of light. Depending on syle of fitting,
you could get more glare from them than real R63's, but could
also be less. Can't comment on run-up time which is going to
be very manufacturer dependant. If your fittings are closed
cans, the lack of ventilation could reduce the lamp life.

Will your fittings take R80 lamps? Some R63 fittings have
adjustable lampholder height and a removable collar which
means they can take R80 lamps. A closed can type is most
unlikely to be able to do so though.

--
Andrew Gabriel