Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Low Energy Bulbs

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:26:53 +0000 someone who may be Mark Carver
wrote this:-

Our kitchen has six 60 watt R63 spotlight lamps, which of course means
that the running cost is around 2-3p/h. It's a 'dark' kitchen, so the
lamps are on for a considerable amount of time each day.

I'm tempted by a direct low energy replacement featured on this page:-

http://www.yourwelcome.co.uk/acatalo...tisements.html

Does anybody have experience of these particular types. Light output,
time taken to reach full output, 'scatter' of beam etc ?

If you go to a B&Q big red tin shed then you should be able to find
a low energy R63 replacement for just under ten pounds. They are
made by General Electric as part of a range that also includes R80
replacements, sold for just under twenty pounds in B&Q. Both are
only slightly longer (perhaps 10mm) than the filament bulbs they
replace.

If the lamps are on all the time then startup time is not a great
problem. However, they do take perhaps 5 seconds to reach full
output. Light output is good, not too harsh. The beam is not as
compact as a filament lamp, it could never be, but good reflector
design means it is not as wide as one may think.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh