Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Kelly

Default flushing a central heating system

I want to flush my central heating system as the boiler sounds like a
jet taking off when it's heating the house - okay on the water funnily
enough. I want to drain it a few times till the water's clear, then fill
it with some chemical flusher stuff for a week, then drain it again and
refill it with the proper inhibitor stuff.

My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
I want to flush my central heating system as the boiler sounds like a
jet taking off when it's heating the house - okay on the water funnily
enough. I want to drain it a few times till the water's clear, then fill
it with some chemical flusher stuff for a week, then drain it again and
refill it with the proper inhibitor stuff.

My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

Why not just replace the bleeding valves?

If you do want to change radiators without altering the width of the
pipework you can buy extendable radiator valves which will accomodate a
slightly smaller radiator replacement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:33:08 +0000 (UTC), John Kelly
wrote:

My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

Replace the faulty valve at the same time as draining.

Get an assistant as gopher, several bowls/trays that will fit under
the pipe by the valve.

Use a small hacksaw to nick the underneath of the pipe until the water
flows out but you can stop it with your finger.

Fill the bowls until the flow stops. The gopher does the emptying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

wrote:

My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

Replace the faulty valve at the same time as draining.

snip

I think the OP means that the bleed screw in the top ofthe rad is
stuck solid.

I'd spray the drain screw with Plusgas a few days before draining the
system. I'd then (attempt) to remove the screw with a *decent* brass
radiator key and a pair of molegrips, taking care to undo it the
correct way.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

John Kelly wrote:

My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

New bleed valve.

Have a look at product code 6918 on http://www.bes.ltd.uk

for example.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

John Kelly explained :
My problem is that there are three radiators upstairs which can't be
bled. The bleeding valve is stuck. I don't particularly want to replace
the radiators as I can't get any the same size. What are my options?

Get hold a good quality bleed valve key. Drain the water down a few
inches in the three radiators and put some heat on the bleed screw
(blow lamp/hot air gun), alternated with a cold damp rag to help free
it. Some bleed screws are mounted in a removable socket - remove the
entire socket and replace with new.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:41:38 -0800, daddyfreddy wrote:

If you do want to change radiators without altering the width of the
pipework you can buy extendable radiator valves which will accomodate a
slightly smaller radiator replacement.

Or DIY: a 1/2" BSP x 15mm compression Chromed coupler plus a bit of 15mm
Chromed tube will allow you to make an arbitrary-size extension tail piece
which looks quite decent.