TheScullster

Default Central Heating Cleaning, Flushing and Drain - Solid Floors

Hi all

I am getting quotes in for a new boiler and additional works having spent 3
years on and off trying to breath life into the heating system in a 1970s
poorly extended 4 bed detached house.

The current system drain point is on a radiator feed leg and therefore
obviously above the 22mm buried mains for the ground floor.
So, attempts to clean crap from the system will rely on being able to get
all solids into suspension so that they flow up and out of the drain rather
than just collecting at the low points in the mains and drifting around as
they see fit.

My key questions a

1. If I get a drain point fitted on the mains (dig up a bit of floor and
take it out through the wall) this will be below the dpc.
How do I ensure that this doesn't result in a future damp problem? ISTR
this was the arrangement in a previous dwelling.

2. I recently cleared a blockage of black granular material and suspect this
is the tip of the iceberg (ie more floating around the system). The latest
company to quote said it was likely that a partial blockage still exists.
This was disappointing as I have in the last 2 years flushed the whole
system (for a week IIRC) with some Fernox cleaner.
The guys who have been quoting for the boiler replacement are recommending
Ferroquest which I believe is a more aggressive cleaner than I used, which
must be removed after a specific (shorter) time. Has anyone used this stuff
to know if it will clear the sort of material I have found?
In the process of moving and replacing rads, I have manually flushed many of
the rads on the system.

3. Recommendations on best controls, pump stats etc appreciated for S Plan
system re-work.

TIA

Phil