UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mj
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?



  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?


Beer,Fags and someone to pick on. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

In article ,
mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?


Bits of humans who despatched their mates - best of all bits of those who
contemplate using poison on rats.

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?


"John Cartmell" wrote in message
...
In article ,
mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?


Bits of humans who despatched their mates - best of all bits of those who
contemplate using poison on rats.

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing

sausages are supposed to work




  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

In article ,
Huge wrote:

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
...
In article ,
mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?


Bits of humans who despatched their mates - best of all bits of those who
contemplate using poison on rats.


Enjoy your Weill's Disease. And the flea bites. And the faeces in your
food. And the bites.


And get a grownup to tell you the difference between vermin and pets.


I've already defined vermin. If you want a more objective definition then by
all means try it - and you'll almost certainly be on the list.

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

John Cartmell wrote:

I've already defined vermin. If you want a more objective definition then by
all means try it - and you'll almost certainly be on the list.



Just what exactly is your problem??

I'm on the whole an animal-loving veggie, but I have no problem with
killing a wide range of animals which would otherwise have an adverse
impact on my life. This includes flies, rats, pigeons and a whole range
of other critters.

Why do you have a problem with killing rats?


--
Grunff
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith \(Dorset\)
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

Scraps after a chicken meal will do very well - that's why the bones and
such should never be thrown on the compost.

Keith




"mj" wrote in message
...
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?





  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

In article , Grunff
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:


I've already defined vermin. If you want a more objective definition then
by all means try it - and you'll almost certainly be on the list.



Just what exactly is your problem??


I'm on the whole an animal-loving veggie, but I have no problem with
killing a wide range of animals which would otherwise have an adverse
impact on my life. This includes flies, rats, pigeons and a whole range of
other critters.


Why do you have a problem with killing rats?


Check back at my objection which was to someone killing rats 'because they
were rats' without any reference to 'adverse impact'. Also note that the
species with greatest 'adverse impact' on everything and everyone else is H.
sapiens; unless you provide a much better argument you are justifying general
slaughter of all of us. I'd object to that! ;-)

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing



  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

John Cartmell wrote:

Check back at my objection which was to someone killing rats 'because they
were rats' without any reference to 'adverse impact'. Also note that the
species with greatest 'adverse impact' on everything and everyone else is H.
sapiens; unless you provide a much better argument you are justifying general
slaughter of all of us. I'd object to that! ;-)


???

I'm talking about an adverse impact on my own existence - not on the
planet as a whole (the latter can take care of itself just fine, and
doesn't need anyone's help).

--
Grunff
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?


Bits of humans who despatched their mates -
--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 [url Wrote:
www.finnybank.com[/url]
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing


When you say mates do you mean mates as in sexual partners, ie wives
and girlfriends or do you mean mates as in other rats they go to the
pub and play football with.


--
Nick H
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mj
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:51:22 +0000 (UTC), "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Cheers for all the suggestions - besides the dead one (by the smell it
had been dead for 3 or 4 days) that I found this morning in the attic
there have (so far) been no signs of others so I'll keep my fingers
crossed that his/her mates don't come looking for him/her.

We've been here for a couple of years now and it's the first rat I've
seen in the place.

As for what they like to eat around here - we have no external rubbish
bins (or anything that rats would like to consume) and the food for
the handful of sheep is kept in a strong, sealed plastic container. I
guess if we get any others that I'll have to experiment with chocolate
and the like.
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

In article , Grunff
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:


Check back at my objection which was to someone killing rats 'because
they were rats' without any reference to 'adverse impact'. Also note that
the species with greatest 'adverse impact' on everything and everyone
else is H. sapiens; unless you provide a much better argument you are
justifying general slaughter of all of us. I'd object to that! ;-)


???


I'm talking about an adverse impact on my own existence - not on the
planet as a whole (the latter can take care of itself just fine, and
doesn't need anyone's help).


But are you distinguishing between rats that inconvenience you and rats that
just happen to be passing? Are you even distinguishing between rats that
inconvenience you and something that happens to dine on that rat after you
have poisoned it? Humans are far more vermin-like than any other creature
unless we use special pleading arguments, so on the 'rats are better off dead'
or 'kill vermin' philosophy we should all have our necks on the line.

--
John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822
Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com
Qercus - the best guide to RISC OS computing



  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

John Cartmell wrote:

But are you distinguishing between rats that inconvenience you and rats that
just happen to be passing?


What planet are you on?


Are you even distinguishing between rats that
inconvenience you and something that happens to dine on that rat after you
have poisoned it?


If you make a little more effort, you might come close to being understood.



Humans are far more vermin-like than any other creature


Not in my house/stables/sheds, they're not. If they were, they'd also
get shot.


Let me guess. You live in a tidy little house in a town/suburb, and have
zero experience of dealing with a rat infestation. Right?



--
Grunff
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?

Rats go for chocolate too. IMO it's ideal vermin bait, lasts a long
time, smells strongly, difficult for them to prise off the trap so they
are guaranteed to set the trap off trying to pull it off the peg.
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

Owain wrote:
Huge wrote:
Enjoy your Weill's Disease. And the flea bites. And the faeces in your
food. And the bites.


Would rat fleas actually want to bite humans?


All together now: "OF COURSE THEY WOULDN'T!"

and:

"IT'S BEHIND YOU!".
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

John Cartmell wrote:

Let me guess. You think you have been the victim of a rat infestation that was
not caused by humans?



I give up.


--
Grunff
  #20   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:18:28 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Huge wrote:
Enjoy your Weill's Disease. And the flea bites. And the faeces in your
food. And the bites.


Would rat fleas actually want to bite humans? Aren't fleas more or less
host species specific?


Yes. But that won't stop them biting you first to find out. I've
experienced cat fleas a few times...notably when we moved into this
house. Previous owners had five cats and a lot of flea eggs were left in
the living room carpet. The fleas died of course, but they tried biting
us a LOT first. Luckily we were working on the house before moving in
properly, and were eventually ripping out the carpet anyway...this just
made us do it a week earlier!

--
The information contained in this post is copyright the
poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by
Avenue Supplies, http://avenuesupplies.co.uk


  #21   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 15:54:53 GMT, Geoffrey
wrote:

We used to have a pet rat. She was lovely. I'd recommend a rat to
anyone whose children are desperate for a pet.


Rats are lovely pets - shame they live such a short time though 8-(
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:07:33 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

Humans are far more vermin-like than any other creature


Absolutely. Now I just need a rat trap big enough to catch an Astra.
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?


"Grunff" wrote in message
...
John Cartmell wrote:

Let me guess. You think you have been the victim of a rat infestation
that was
not caused by humans?



I give up.


You can take a horse to water etc...............................


  #24   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?


"Steve Firth" wrote in message
...
mj wrote:
Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?

Rats go for chocolate too. IMO it's ideal vermin bait, lasts a long time,
smells strongly, difficult for them to prise off the trap so they are
guaranteed to set the trap off trying to pull it off the peg.


We use a bit of dried out bacon rind to good effect


  #25   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember (mj) saying
something like:

Besides poison, what are rat traps usually baited with? I know that
mice like chocolate, cheese, peanut butter etc but I assume rats have
their own preferences?


I've had some measure of success with pieces of dog chewy strips.

snap!

#Another one bites the dust...

--

Dave


  #26   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

More rat news
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/05/mutant_rats/
  #27   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's a suitable bait for rat traps ?

Andy Dingley wrote:
More rat news
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/05/mutant_rats/


"They don't seem to be frightened by human people". What?
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suitable bricks ? [email protected] UK diy 4 April 8th 05 01:17 PM
How easy is it to fall out of bed? Andy Evans UK diy 40 November 11th 04 04:48 PM
Suitable caps/cowls for disused chimney and living flame gas fire Mathew J. Newton UK diy 3 March 5th 04 03:44 PM
No metalworking content, need to kill superintellingent rat. GaryH82012 Metalworking 57 February 26th 04 02:06 AM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"