Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:48:18 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:21:00 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message

Precisely no clones, no copies,

Can't be that good, as if it was others would have copied it by now.

A search on the US Patent office Web site will explain that various
aspects of this tool have been patented in at least the U.S. and
Europe.

- The oscillatory drive
- The motor design
- The use of these in the Multimaster and other Fein products

They haven't patented the functionality.

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

The absence in the market of any kind of clone indicates that that is
effective.

Perhaps if you're very good and ask Santa, he might bring you one for
Christmas......

Down the pecking order in Santa tools at the mo'.

Perhaps a nice ratchet cutter for plastic pipe, then.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
manatbandq wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Bargains wrote:

I'm looking at the Fein Multimaster to do a few jobs:-

Cut out sections of skirting board.

Cut out small sections of sheet (chipboard) flooring

There are other options for getting under the floor - snapped off blade
in a jigsaw is one (so you can cut down the middle of a joist).

Why snap a blade off? This is abuse of your tool. Use an ordinary
blade, tip the tool onto its nose, and go along like that. If you
just use a short piece of blade perpendicular to the floor, it will
play hell with the gears.

Please be more careful in snipping and quoting as the above could be
read as though I advocated using a snapped off blade. Someone else said
it, not me.

I don't see how it could be read as you say, unless you're using
some sort of stupid newsreader (or can't dechipher quotes properly).

I don't like your method, either. It would be all too easy to get the
depth wrong and cut a cable or pipe. It could be dangerous if the blade
snags.

shrug if people aren't able to use a jigsaw properly, they
shouldn't be using one at all. Should they cut too deep with

Using it tilted isn't using it properly. Read the instructions.

a circular saw, floorboard saw, or anything else, the same
holds true.

The difference being that you can set the depth of cut with a circular
saw and then use it as intended with the soleplate flat on the floor.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:48:18 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message

Precisely no clones, no copies,

Can't be that good, as if it was others would have copied it by now.

A search on the US Patent office Web site will explain that various
aspects of this tool have been patented in at least the U.S. and
Europe.

- The oscillatory drive
- The motor design
- The use of these in the Multimaster and other Fein products

They haven't patented the functionality.

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and impinge
patents.

The absence in the market of any kind of clone indicates that that is
effective.

I just don't think there is a market, as in the same reason why there is no
£15 mains angle drill around. The cheapest is around £115, which is
basically an angle grinder body and chuck

Perhaps if you're very good and ask Santa, he might bring you one for
Christmas......

Down the pecking order in Santa tools at the mo'.

Perhaps a nice ratchet cutter for plastic pipe, then.

Already have one and have had it for eons. I saw a wonderful cushioned
handled, fore and aft, hacksaw in B&Q for £20. Now that was the business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
I don't like your method, either. It would be all too easy to get the
depth wrong and cut a cable or pipe. It could be dangerous if the blade
snags.

shrug if people aren't able to use a jigsaw properly, they
shouldn't be using one at all. Should they cut too deep with

Using it tilted isn't using it properly. Read the instructions.

a circular saw, floorboard saw, or anything else, the same
holds true.

The difference being that you can set the depth of cut with a circular
saw and then use it as intended with the soleplate flat on the floor.

The snag with using a circular saw is that it will cut well into the
boards either side. The jigsaw method doesn't. Also, I'd not much be
worried about a jigsaw blade hitting a nail - but rather unhappy if it
happened with a 30 quid tipped blade.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:49:19 +0000, Pete C wrote:

If you didn't have/couldn't afford the Multimaster, could/would you
use the Arbortech to trim skirting?

Not a fecking hope....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:34:14 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and impinge
patents.

Such as?

The absence in the market of any kind of clone indicates that that is
effective.

I just don't think there is a market, as in the same reason why there is no
£15 mains angle drill around. The cheapest is around £115, which is
basically an angle grinder body and chuck

If the functionality and operation can't be replicated for a fiver
there wouldn't be a £15 product.

From what I've seen, Fein seem to be doing pretty well with the
Multimaster at its price point.

In terms of what can be achieved, and time saved, I think it's not
expensive at all. However, I value time taken, quality achieved and
ease of use much more highly than initial purchase price.

Perhaps if you're very good and ask Santa, he might bring you one for
Christmas......

Down the pecking order in Santa tools at the mo'.

Perhaps a nice ratchet cutter for plastic pipe, then.

Already have one and have had it for eons.

Try taking it out of the packing?

I saw a wonderful cushioned
handled, fore and aft, hacksaw in B&Q for £20. Now that was the business.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and

impinge
patents.

Such as?

You can patent the functionality a suit is like patenting the wheel.

The absence in the market of any kind of clone indicates that that is
effective.

I just don't think there is a market, as in the same reason why there is

no
£15 mains angle drill around. The cheapest is around £115, which is
basically an angle grinder body and chuck

If the functionality and operation can't be replicated for a fiver
there wouldn't be a £15 product.

From what I've seen, Fein seem to be doing pretty well with the
Multimaster at its price point.

In terms of what can be achieved, and time saved, I think it's not
expensive at all. However, I value time taken, quality achieved and
ease of use much more highly than initial purchase price.

Perhaps if you're very good and ask Santa, he might bring you one

for
Christmas......

Down the pecking order in Santa tools at the mo'.

Perhaps a nice ratchet cutter for plastic pipe, then.

Already have one and have had it for eons.

Try taking it out of the packing?

I saw a wonderful cushioned
handled, fore and aft, hacksaw in B&Q for £20. Now that was the

business.

--

.andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:41:00 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and

impinge
patents.

Such as?

You can patent the functionality a suit is like patenting the wheel.

Could you possibly say that again in English, please.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:41:00 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that
should be protected from copying.

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and

impinge
patents.

Such as?

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:21:54 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Obviously not.

However, the versatility and ease of use and time to a quality result
are the reasons that this is a successful product.

THe mechanics, motor arrangement and cutting tools are certainly part
of that and represent the product's differentiation.

Clearly the manufacturer thinks that that is worth protecting.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Obviously not.

However, the versatility and
ease of use and time to a quality result
are the reasons that this is a successful product.

It is not. It is the attachments that give it the array of functionality,
as the base unit is a detail sander. Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing about
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:28:04 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Obviously not.

However, the versatility and
ease of use and time to a quality result
are the reasons that this is a successful product.

It is not. It is the attachments that give it the array of functionality,
as the base unit is a detail sander.

The design and range of the attachments are part of the product.
Several are also patented.

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing about
it.

Possibly, although some are not all that successful at it....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98082.html

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Obviously not.

However, the versatility and
ease of use and time to a quality result
are the reasons that this is a successful product.

It is not. It is the attachments that give it the array of

functionality,
as the base unit is a detail sander.

The design and range of the attachments are part of the product.
Several are also patented.

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package
and Multimaster can't do a thing about it.

Possibly, although some are not all that successful at it....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98082.html

Matt, this is a model that was dropped nearly 9 years ago, which was not
copying the Multimaster. You are a very confused Matt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Obviously not.

However, the versatility and
ease of use and time to a quality result
are the reasons that this is a successful product.

It is not. It is the attachments that give it the array of

functionality,
as the base unit is a detail sander.

The design and range of the attachments are part of the product.
Several are also patented.

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package
and Multimaster can't do a thing about it.

Possibly, although some are not all that successful at it....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98082.html

Matt, this is a model that was dropped nearly 9 years ago, which was not
copying the Multimaster. You are a very confused Matt.

I doubt whether Matt is confused at all, I'm certainly not.

That the illustrated product from one of your favourite labels was
discontinued a while ago is not important. It was simply an
illustration that products that are apparently similar are not, and
that making them down to a price rather than to a level of quality can
have dire consequences for the user.

You may remember the story of the incendiary angle grinder from a
while ago.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Matt is very confused.

That the illustrated product from one of your favourite labels was
discontinued a while ago is not important. It was simply an
illustration that products that are apparently similar are not, and
that making them down to a price rather than to a level of quality can
have dire consequences for the user.

Matt, the Ryobi sander had a switch which was a poor design and they dropped
it. Most makes have duds. You are trying make out this episode of 9 years
ago is typical across the current Ryobi range, which is ludicrous to do so.

You may remember the story of the incendiary angle grinder from a
while ago.

Made by some unknown make from Screwfix. And which none of this has
anything to do with cloning a Multimaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing about
it.

I'm sure they can. I look forward to a world of affordable decet-quality
Multimaster clones forn the likes of Bosch.

But in the meantime, no-one _has_ cloned it. If you want to use the tool
now, you need to buy the real product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

AFAICS it's a detail sander with a host of, somewhat contrived,
attachments. Having looked at the applications on the web site, I can't
see that I would use it for anything else. Removing a broken tile? You
must be kidding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:51:56 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

AFAICS it's a detail sander with a host of, somewhat contrived,
attachments. Having looked at the applications on the web site, I can't
see that I would use it for anything else. Removing a broken tile? You
must be kidding.

Not at all. I have, and it was very effective at doing so without
making further damage. I have also for many of the applications listed
on the web site.

The action of even the detail sander is quite different from others
that I've used, largely because of the very small amount of
oscillation of the head.

I use the Multimaster a lot - probably as much as the workhorses such
as the cordless drills etc.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing

about
it.

I'm sure they can. I look forward to a world of affordable decet-quality
Multimaster clones forn the likes of Bosch.

But in the meantime, no-one _has_ cloned it. If you want to use the tool
now, you need to buy the real product.

If you need to use the functionalites every day, then you buy it, otherwise
an expensive toy. Most things it does can be done by other cheaper means.
Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while.

Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a
glorified sander).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a
glorified sander).

Since you haven't tried one your views are conjecture as in near
everything else.

Several skilled people here have said how good it is and worth the money.

Do you ever use any of the tools you spout off about? Apart from a
hacksaw, obviously.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a
glorified sander).

Since you

** snip babbling senile tripe **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing

about
it.

I'm sure they can. I look forward to a world of affordable decet-quality
Multimaster clones forn the likes of Bosch.

But in the meantime, no-one _has_ cloned it. If you want to use the tool
now, you need to buy the real product.

If you need to use the functionalites every day, then you buy it, otherwise
an expensive toy. Most things it does can be done by other cheaper means.

That really depends on your scale of values.

Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while.

That is an assertion that you can't really justify. I think that most
people are able to make their own decisions.

Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a
glorified sander).

That is a matter of judgment for the individual. Neither you nor I can
decide that.

My assessment, based on ownership and use is that this is a tool with
good value for money because I can produce good results and save time.

Your assessment, based on seeing a demo, looking at the price, but
never having used is that it is expensive.

If you don't want or can't afford one, then don't buy, but don't
assume that your rationale applies to everybody. I don't.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Many others can copy that
functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing

about
it.

I'm sure they can. I look forward to a world of affordable

decet-quality
Multimaster clones forn the likes of Bosch.

But in the meantime, no-one _has_ cloned it. If you want to use the

tool
now, you need to buy the real product.

If you need to use the functionalites every day, then you buy it,

otherwise
an expensive toy. Most things it does can be done by other cheaper

means.

That really depends on your scale of values.

Matt, stop prattling crap.

Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while.

That is an assertion that you can't really justify. I think that most
people are able to make their own decisions.

Again: "Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while."

Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a
glorified sander).

That is a matter of judgment for the individual.
Neither you nor I can decide that.

It is clear it is a glorified sander. That is clear.

My assessment, based on ownership and use is that this is a tool with
good value for money because I can produce good results and save time.

Your assessment, based on seeing a demo, looking at the price,

And knowing what it can and can't as well - the most important point.
but

If you don't want or can't afford one,
then don't buy,

If it was worth paying £160 then I would, but for the odd usage I'll give it
a miss. Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

but don't assume that your rationale
applies to everybody. I don't.

It applies to 95% of sane mortals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

Just how come someone who claims to have been a 'pro' is suddenly buying
such things?

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

Just how come someone who claims to have been a 'pro' is suddenly buying
such things?

A shame isn't it. He must think pros don't buy tools. I hope the home makes
some progress with him soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:19:11 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

If it was worth paying £160 then I would, but for the odd usage I'll give it
a miss. Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

How are you going to use ten plastic pipe cutters?

Just using one would have kept you out of trouble.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If it was worth paying £160 then I would, but for the odd usage I'll give

it
a miss. Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

How are you going to use ten plastic pipe cutters?

Matt, oh a quiz. How would I use ten plastic pipe cutters? Cutting
concrete?

Just using one would have kept you out of trouble.

Cutting what concrete with it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Will

In article ,
says...
In article .com,
wrote:
I don't like your method, either. It would be all too easy to get the
depth wrong and cut a cable or pipe. It could be dangerous if the blade
snags.

shrug if people aren't able to use a jigsaw properly, they
shouldn't be using one at all. Should they cut too deep with

Using it tilted isn't using it properly. Read the instructions.

a circular saw, floorboard saw, or anything else, the same
holds true.

The difference being that you can set the depth of cut with a circular
saw and then use it as intended with the soleplate flat on the floor.

The snag with using a circular saw is that it will cut well into the
boards either side. The jigsaw method doesn't. Also, I'd not much be
worried about a jigsaw blade hitting a nail - but rather unhappy if it
happened with a 30 quid tipped blade.

There is a method that I use - I can't say that I've ever seen
anyone else do it - that prevents cutting into the adjacent boards.

Set the cutting depth to a little less than the thickness of the
board, and remove the tounges from either side of the board to be
raised, for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut.
Apply a bolster to either side of the board, and raise it higher than
the remaining boards, at the position of the intended cut. Cut through
the board at either end and remove the required part.

Job done!

--
Regards,

Will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

Just how come someone who claims to have been a 'pro' is suddenly
buying such things?

A shame isn't it. He must think pros don't buy tools.

200 quids worth of hand tools all at once? Is this a gold plated hacksaw?

Of course if you'd bought decent tools in the first place you'd not need
to buy so many in one go.

But what does your nurse say about your fantasies?

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Will" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

A standard method.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Will wrote:
[ cutting floorboards ]
There is a method that I use - I can't say that I've ever seen
anyone else do it - that prevents cutting into the adjacent boards.

Set the cutting depth to a little less than the thickness of the
board, and remove the tounges from either side of the board to be
raised, for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut.
Apply a bolster to either side of the board, and raise it higher than
the remaining boards, at the position of the intended cut. Cut through
the board at either end and remove the required part.

Unfortunately "applying" a bolster to either side of the board
tends to ruin it, and the ones on each side. Plunge cutting with
a jigsaw is the best method I've used so far. You can screw a
stepped block onto the top of the board and lever on that, but
it's a bot more time-consuming.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They
useful and will be used and earn their keep.

Just how come someone who claims to have been a 'pro' is suddenly
buying such things?

A shame isn't it. He must think pros don't buy tools.

200 quids worth of hand tools all at once?

Yep. Amazing isn't. That is a lot to you as the homes only give you pocket
money when they take you out. I bet you spent it all.

** snip senile dribble and tripe **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Will wrote:
There is a method that I use - I can't say that I've ever seen
anyone else do it - that prevents cutting into the adjacent boards.

Set the cutting depth to a little less than the thickness of the
board, and remove the tounges from either side of the board to be
raised, for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut.
Apply a bolster to either side of the board, and raise it higher than
the remaining boards, at the position of the intended cut. Cut through
the board at either end and remove the required part.

Yes - that's one way, but falls down if you need to cut close to a wall
that the boards go under.

I'm sticking with the broken jigsaw blade. They're cheap and have no real
disadvantages.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
200 quids worth of hand tools all at once?

Yep. Amazing isn't.

It would be more amazing if you actually said what you'd bought. We could
all do with a laugh on a bleak day like this.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Will wrote:

There is a method that I use - I can't say that I've ever seen
anyone else do it - that prevents cutting into the adjacent boards.

Set the cutting depth to a little less than the thickness of the
board, and remove the tounges from either side of the board to be
raised,

Better with a fine handsaw I would have thought

for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut.
Apply a bolster to either side of the board, and raise it higher than
the remaining boards, at the position of the intended cut. Cut through
the board at either end and remove the required part.

You must have very flexible floorboards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

200 quids worth of hand tools all at once?

Yep. Amazing isn't.

It would be more amazing if you actually said what you'd bought.

Er, er tools..

We could all do with a laugh on a bleak day like this.

You laugh at tools? I believe there is a drug being developed that may
rectify your problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...

I'm sticking with the broken jigsaw blade.

My God!! Only on the Internet. He uses broken tools as well. The home
should never let him out, he is dangerous. Appalling!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[ lifting floorboards ]
I'm sticking with the broken jigsaw blade. They're cheap and have no real
disadvantages.

In a disposable machine, maybe - but they give the gears in the jigsaw
a real hammering. I have seen 'em splinter!