Default Fein Multimaster

There was mention of this tool on another group and when I looked up
the web site I saw that this tool can cut the bottom off architrave and
skirting.
I have always avoided putting hardwood floors down because I have never
wanted to take the skirting off but it looks as though this tool would
do the job.
Has anybody used one and can I get them anywhere other than the
internet, Simbles in Watford, my local tool stockists don't sell them.

Kevin

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
There was mention of this tool on another group and when I looked up
the web site I saw that this tool can cut the bottom off architrave and
skirting.
I have always avoided putting hardwood floors down because I have never
wanted to take the skirting off but it looks as though this tool would
do the job.
Has anybody used one and can I get them anywhere other than the
internet, Simbles in Watford, my local tool stockists don't sell them.

Kevin

Is there a clone around. This is a tool that is on my wish list. It is so
versatile it covers about tools. At £60 or so I still think it is worth it.
But someone must have made a look-alike by now.

Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
There was mention of this tool on another group and when I looked up
the web site I saw that this tool can cut the bottom off architrave and
skirting.
I have always avoided putting hardwood floors down because I have never
wanted to take the skirting off but it looks as though this tool would
do the job.
Has anybody used one and can I get them anywhere other than the
internet, Simbles in Watford, my local tool stockists don't sell them.

Kevin

Is there a clone around. This is a tool that is on my wish list. It is so
versatile it covers about tools. At £60 or so I still think it is worth
it. But someone must have made a look-alike by now.

Where do you find it at £60?! And how much are the blades, eh?!! :-)
Just came across a thread from a year and a half ago on the screwfix
discussion forum:
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....rt=30&tstart=0

Having just ripped the skirting off in the bathroom I'm currently doing so I
can get the new vinyl under the new skirting I was about to kick myself,
but for the price of the Fein I can probably buy the new skirting and fit
it in the time it'd take to cut the bottom off the existing skirting.and
for far less cost.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is useful for cutting T&G boards and nice cut where the board rests on
the joist. Cutting the bottom of door architrave and other bits and bobs.
I have a rotothingy and that does a similar job, except architrave. And
doesn't cost silly money.

andy hall

This is an excellent tool.

I have the Top version with an assortment of accessories in a metal
case. It came from Axminster Power Tools if I remember correctly. I
have since bought a number of cutters and other accessories.

It gets a lot of use for all sorts of purposes in woodworking, DIY,
decorating,.....

Probably one of my most used tools and worth every penny.

Having said that, it would be a lengthy job to trim a complete
skirting, although an architrave would be OK. I would suggest that
you remove the skirting altogether. If you are going for a proper
hardwood floor, then a hardwood skirting in a matching or contrasting
wood fits very well. A painted skirting - especially in a plain modern
style may not. Either way, it's better to replace it than to mess
around trying to trim it.

Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
There was mention of this tool on another group and when I looked up
the web site I saw that this tool can cut the bottom off architrave and
skirting.
I have always avoided putting hardwood floors down because I have never
wanted to take the skirting off but it looks as though this tool would
do the job.
Has anybody used one and can I get them anywhere other than the
internet, Simbles in Watford, my local tool stockists don't sell them.

Kevin

Is there a clone around. This is a tool that is on my wish list. It is so
versatile it covers about tools. At £60 or so I still think it is worth
it. But someone must have made a look-alike by now.

Not a clone, but I wonder if this would do the skirting-board job (except at
corners, obviously). I don't know how thick the blade is: presumably OK for
laminate, maybe a bit thick for vinyl.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=37534

Looks a bit lethal: anybody used one (and lived to tell the tale? :-)

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Looks good enough to cut the architraves. At £50 cheap enough too.

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
ups.com...

This is an excellent tool.

I have the Top version

Matt, you have just told us that in the other post. Boy!

andy hall

Why not buy the proper thing for a change?

The entry level Fein, with a small range of accessories is only £108.

One of the values of this tool is the availability and continued
availability of a wide range of accessories and consumables. This is
one tool type where the here today, gone tomorrow marketing of the
rippers off will not work.

I hope that Fein have a robust patent in place to stave off cheap
imitation competitors. This is one of the most innovative and useful
power tools for a very long time and they deserve the kudos and return
for developing and properly supporting it with genuine warranties,
accessories and service.

andy hall

Yes.

Arbortech stuff is mainly intended for power woodcarving .

Even the small one like this is quite aggressive and to suggest that
it's suitable for fine work is stretching it a bit.

They are good fun if you fancy creatively making something in 3D in
wood.

It's not suitable for trimming work like this, but the Multimaster
isn't that useful for cutting long lengths of wood either.

andy hall

You could try it on plastic pipe as well......

It should be about as effective as your usual technique

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not buy the proper thing for a change?

The entry level Fein, with a small range of accessories is only £108.

Matt, which does not do much at all. You need the £160 job.

One of the values of this tool is
the availability and continued
availability of a wide range of
accessories and consumables.

Which are "very" expensive. It is only a sander with attachments and £160
is taking the ****.

This is one tool type where the here
today, gone tomorrow marketing of the
rippers off will not work.

It is only a sander.

I hope that Fein have a robust patent in place to stave off cheap
imitation competitors. This is one of the most innovative and useful
power tools for a very long time and they deserve the kudos and return
for developing and properly supporting it with genuine warranties,
accessories and service.

Developing? The same sort of body is available for a few quid from others.

To me it is useful for floorboards, cutting the bottoms of architraves and
well...er, er, sanding. A Rotothingy can do the boards, which I have, and
this can do the architrave for £50:
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....rt=30&tstart=0

£160 is lot to keep in your cupboard for months on end.

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" wrote in message
oups.com...
You could try it on plastic pipe as well......

It should be about as effective as your usual technique

My usual technique on plastic pipe is top throw it out, or use it for
sleeving. Can't thing what else it is good for.

Pete C

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:42:58 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
roups.com...
Why not buy the proper thing for a change?

The entry level Fein, with a small range of accessories is only £108.

Matt, which does not do much at all. You need the £160 job.

Hi,

I'd use on of these :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23535&src=froogle

cheers,
Pete.
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
roups.com...
Why not buy the proper thing for a change?

The entry level Fein, with a small range of accessories is only £108.

Matt, which does not do much at all. You need the £160 job.

Hi,

I'd use on of these :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23535&src=froogle

Looks far more cost effective, and effective too.

The Multimaster is a detail sander with extras. You can buy a detail sander
for £10. £25 gets you a good Ryobi.

So,

£28 for this blade
£25 for a detailed sander
£17 for a Rotzip thingy form Aldi

That is: £70 max and they will all do most of what the multimaster will do
and better too. A big difference to £160

BTW, does anyone know of a softstart angle grinder?

andy hall wrote:
This is an excellent tool.

I have the Top version with an assortment of accessories in a metal
case. It came from Axminster Power Tools if I remember correctly. I
have since bought a number of cutters and other accessories.

It gets a lot of use for all sorts of purposes in woodworking, DIY,
decorating,.....

Probably one of my most used tools and worth every penny.

Having said that, it would be a lengthy job to trim a complete
skirting, although an architrave would be OK. I would suggest that
you remove the skirting altogether. If you are going for a proper
hardwood floor, then a hardwood skirting in a matching or contrasting
wood fits very well. A painted skirting - especially in a plain modern
style may not. Either way, it's better to replace it than to mess
around trying to trim it.

It is quite a complicated shaped room so would entail a lot of cuts and
frigging about fitting the skirting plus there is picture rail to do if
I fitted a different skirting.
The existing skirting and picture rail was fitted 20 years ago and is
not painted but stained. I think a bit of contrast to a hardwood floor
is not a bad thing, I just can't be bothered with all those mitre cuts.

Kevin

andy hall

Do you actually have one?

In fact there are a broad range of accessories including a whole
variety of abrasives. One has to shop around to find the best
prices, which are not at all expensive.

If you are using a Rotothingy to do anything other than very crude
hacking of holes, then you deserve the results that you have
experienced with cutting pipe.

I find that I use my Multimaster very regularly. In fact it hardly
goes back in the box.

andy hall

OK. Then it that case, I think that you would achieve the best outcome
by removing and refitting the skirting after laying the floor.

Chris Bacon

andy hall wrote:
OK. Then it that case, I think that you would achieve the best outcome
by removing and refitting the skirting after laying the floor.

In *what* case?

Please learn how to post correctly.
John

"andy hall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you actually have one?

In fact there are a broad range of accessories including a whole
variety of abrasives. One has to shop around to find the best
prices, which are not at all expensive.

SNIP

Andy - why have you started cutting out ALL attributes from your posts? It
makes it difficult to follow your threads.

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you actually have one?

In fact there are a broad range of accessories including a whole
variety of abrasives. One has to shop around to find the best
prices, which are not at all expensive.

If you are using a Rotothingy to do anything other than very crude
hacking of holes, then you deserve the results that you have
experienced with cutting pipe.

Matt, what results might those be when cutting pipe?

Ever used a Rotothingy. Oh not made by Makita, so not on the radar.

I find that I use my Multimaster very regularly. In fact it hardly
goes back in the box.

What do you use it for? making models?

Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
andy hall wrote:
OK. Then it that case, I think that you would achieve the best outcome
by removing and refitting the skirting after laying the floor.

In *what* case?

Please learn how to post correctly.

Matt never could post properly.

andy hall

I know perfectly well how to post correctly, thanks

Unfortunately I don't have NNTP access this week and have to resort to
a web access method.

andy hall

I don't have NNTP access this week.

Normal service to be resumed as soon as possible

andy hall

I know perfectly well how to post correctly, thanks

Unfortunately I don't have NNTP access this week and have to resort to
a web access method.

andy hall

Because I don't have normal NNTP access this week.

Normal service will be resumed next week.

andy hall

Because I don't have NNTP access this week.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

Doctor Drivel

"andy hall" aka Matt wrote in message
oups.com...
Because I don't have NNTP access this week.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

Matt , well your other Lord Hall link is working.

andy hall

Yes I have used a Rotothingy. It does not have a great deal of value
because it is a rough, freehand tool. If you want to cut holes for
pipes through plasterboard or that type of thing, then fine. That's
about it, though.