RichardS

Default Fein

"Simon" wrote in message
finally copped the hump with DeWalt ( I think I was in denial before, they
were fashionable) after my cordless packed up for the 3rd time and they
wanted to charge me £35 for replacing the little plastic bit that changes
speeds. I have an old Hitachi that has outlasted my DeWalt by a long way,
even after some dope dropped it in a bucket of uncured PU foam.
Been hunting around for a new Cordless and I have been impressed by the
specs on the Fein Cordless drills.

anyone have any experience of them?

Sadly not had any experience with the Feins, but if you're up in that price
bracket then have a look at Milwaukee drills.

I have an Atlas Copco, which is their parent company & identical to the
equivalent Milwaukee model, and I love it. Built to last.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Simon wrote:
. but the 3Ah batteries that come with the Fein, compared to the 1.4 or
2Ah ones that come with most of the rest, really seems to stand out,
Only Panasonic seem comparable.

Assuming it's using stock size cells (sub C), I'd be suspicious of claims
of high amp/hour batteries. They don't tend to last as well as good
quality 'standard' capacity ones.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Simon

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Simon wrote:
. but the 3Ah batteries that come with the Fein, compared to the 1.4 or
2Ah ones that come with most of the rest, really seems to stand out,
Only Panasonic seem comparable.

Assuming it's using stock size cells (sub C), I'd be suspicious of claims
of high amp/hour batteries. They don't tend to last as well as good
quality 'standard' capacity ones.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

The 3Ah are NiMH as apposed to NiCD in the more commonly available Cordless.
If that's any help?

The Natural Philosopher

Simon wrote:

. but the 3Ah batteries that come with the Fein, compared to the 1.4 or
2Ah ones that come with most of the rest, really seems to stand out,
Only Panasonic seem comparable.

Assuming it's using stock size cells (sub C), I'd be suspicious of claims
of high amp/hour batteries. They don't tend to last as well as good
quality 'standard' capacity ones.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

The 3Ah are NiMH as apposed to NiCD in the more commonly available Cordless.
If that's any help?

That's right. Top quality NiMh sub C's can now do 3300mA/h and pretty
good discharge urrents - 60-70A. Top line Nicad is 2600mA/h IFRC. But
those will do over 150A for *very* short bursts...

There is a move to phase out Nicads in favour of NiMh because of cadmium
recycling problems. It is likley that most new tools will come equipped
with NiMh.

They do suffer from shorter lifetimes and somewhat greater propensity to
go flat if left idle.

Thomas Prufer

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:14:48 +0100, "Simon"
wrote:
anyone have any experience of them?

I have experience of a Fein *corded* screwdrivers. This is like a
drill, only slower, and has a clutch the engages when you push it in.
Power is no problem, plenty more at the other end of the cord. The
things are bulletproof, having lasted more than a decade of daily use,
dropping, and kicking around in the back of the van at a
cabinetmakers. If the quality of these extends to their other
products, go for it.

You already know about the price, right?

Thomas Prufer

Noel Hegan

wrote:
anyone have any experience of them?

Simon,

No experience of the Fein but have had the Panasonic for some time
now. Nothing I have ever used is comparable. Feels the best, performs
the best, 3 Ah x 2 batteries, intelligent charger etc. The ratcheted
chuck took a bit of getting used to but no probs. Compared to my
Dewalt - no contest.

Should have test reports on the Panasonic and the Fein . If you are
interested drop me a line.
Rgds

Noel