Knotbob

Default Fein Turbo II/III vs dust collector

I have a 1hp dust collector that's rated at 650cfm.
Will the Fein Turbo II or III which are rated at 116cfm and 126cfm
respectively do a better job with dust collection on my power hand
tools like a random orbit sander, hand held spindle sander, finish
sander, biscuit joiner, jigsaw and router?
Or, when I reduce the 4" dust collector hose to 2.5" and then again
to 1" will it increase the suction and work better than the Fein vacs?
I need to refinish a lot of wood surfaces in my house, mostly
knotty cedar but some pine trim. Fein claims that the Turbo III vacuum
in combination with their random orbit sander can collect 98% of the
dust generated.
I can't afford $1,000.00+- right now for the pair but I could
manage the vacuum if I thought it would perform anywhere close to that
good with my sander. The Fein sander has small channels around the
outside of the pad that vacuum dust as it trys to escape to give it the
98% performance and I've even considered altering my sander to see if
it would work like that.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Robert Smith

toller

I have been using a Hoover GUV with my PC333. It is darn near dustless.

BTW, I just love the GUV. It is quiet, powerful, and the filter never needs
to be cleaned.
Okay, maybe it is not a Fein, but at one third the price...

Sam the Cat

"Knotbob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I use a PC333 and a RIDGID shopvac with a HEPA filter -- without scientific
data to back it up I can't claim 98% pickup, but I'll bet its darn close.
At ~$70 for the sander and $100 for the shop vac it seems a better deal the
$1K from fein. YMMV. Oh yeah, buy a set of ear plugs -- the shop vac can
get quite loud.......

David

I've got a Fein (the middle size one) and I LOVE it. I use the micron
filter and disposable bags (that cuts down the suction a bit, but it's
worth it). It does a great job of giving me dustfree sanding sessions
when hooked up to my ROS or pad sander. It even cleans the floor. g

Best thing about it is it's so much quieter than a normal shop vac. It
converts to liquid pick-up, too.

Dave

Knotbob wrote:
[...]

David

Mine is the "II"

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Knotbob" wrote:

I have a 1hp dust collector that's rated at 650cfm.
Will the Fein Turbo II or III which are rated at 116cfm and 126cfm
respectively do a better job with dust collection on my power hand
tools like a random orbit sander, hand held spindle sander, finish
sander, biscuit joiner, jigsaw and router?
Or, when I reduce the 4" dust collector hose to 2.5" and then again
to 1" will it increase the suction and work better than the Fein vacs?

No. We're looking for strength, not volume in this case.

I need to refinish a lot of wood surfaces in my house, mostly
knotty cedar but some pine trim. Fein claims that the Turbo III vacuum
in combination with their random orbit sander can collect 98% of the
dust generated.
I can't afford $1,000.00+- right now for the pair but I could
manage the vacuum if I thought it would perform anywhere close to that
good with my sander. The Fein sander has small channels around the
outside of the pad that vacuum dust as it trys to escape to give it the
98% performance and I've even considered altering my sander to see if
it would work like that.

So does the German made Ridgid R2610. It's a superb sander. I wish all
Ridgid tools were of that standard.

I own the Turbo II and it runs as a vacuum for either the Festool Rotex
or the Ridgid (Metabo) 2610. I also have CT 22 Festool on the truck, to
do similar duty during installations, on-site seaming of the solid
surface countertops which my company fabricates and installs.
( www.topworks.ca )
My dust-free requirements far exceed those of most woodworking dust
problems.
The Turbo is not intended for high CFM but for high suction (measured in
inches of water). (Current vs Voltage analogy) No hobbyist/semipro DC,
to my knowledge, can pull up a column of water 100" high.
The Ridgid 6" ROS works like a dream with the Turbo II, I couldn't be
more pleased. Total investment is way lower than those outrageously
priced Fein sanders. The Festool Rotex ROS is a better sander, but also
a bit pricey. The Fein 6" sanders are superb, but not worth the money.
So, having said all that, THE punch for the dollar--- Ridgid R2610 and
a Fein Turbo II. And if you use Mirka Abranet sandpaper/screen, you're
as dust-less as you're going to get.
The Turbo III has a smidgen more CFM, because it uses a 2 1/2" hose and
the capacity is a bit bigger. Not worth the extra money, again, IMHO.

Another point, the paper bags for the Turbo II take the whole system
down to 1 micron and still at 57 dB sound level...very quiet (so is the
CT 22 Festool, but that one is not built like a Fein and hasn't been
around for as long. Fein vacuums are pretty much the standard for the
solid surface industry.

Hope this helps.

0¿0

Rob
LDR

In article . com,
says...
[...]

I was looking at installing 1500sf of hardwood and thought that if the
Fein sander was used for boats, it would certainly do my floors, and in
the end I would wind up with two useful tools. As for Fein's claims
about picking up the dust, I dismissed them as hype and told myself I
would settle for whatever it did.

Paying $l,000 really hurt, but it was worth it: The dust pickup is
amazing and both the sander and the vacuum cleaner are just great. So is
Fein support; it's a good company.
LDR

In article t, larry-
says...
In article . com,
says...
[...]

An idea occurred to me that is worth a postscript: If you don't have my
hidden agenda (I WANTED the tools), you can for a lot less money rent an
orbital floor sander. I never used on but know people who have and it is
safe to use not leaving hills and dales on the floor. Not sure about the
dust surpression but there are other ways to deal with that issue as in
sealing the room, etc. I seem to remember articles on the subject in
Fine Homebuilding magazine.
Knotbob

How big a boy are ya? Some "adult" comedian uses that line and its
just in fun because you'd have to be a pretty big boy to heft that
floor sander up to do the walls. I probably should have said walls and
stair case.
I have a cathedral ceiling entryway that includes stairs going down
to the bottom floor so it ranges from 18' tall in the entry way to
probably 28' tall in the stairwell. It is alot of knotty cedar t&g.
The refinishing really only needs to be done from the floor to 5'
and then blending the clear finish above? or below? eye level.
I've been in the home for about 10 years and I still remember the
realtor telling us about the cedar and I wouldn't even come look at it
because it sounded very dated like wood paneling and I figured it was
probably tacky looking but as it turns out it is stunning. It's just
showing wear on the finish from 20 years of real life.
Thanks for your help though,
Robert Smith
LDR wrote:
In article t,