Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
I hear whispers that coloured suites are starting to come back into
fashion.

That's good. Mine is whisper green. ;-)

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Problem with modern ding dongs is they're just too quiet. My parents
had a 50s one with 3 ft long tubes - now that was ok. More tubular
bells than ding dong.

My old gran had something similar. She also kept a Billy goat and a baby
sheep. So she had a ram a lamb a dingdong. :-)

And just how long have you been waiting for a suitable thread for that
one? ;-)

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It always used to annoy me when TV dubbed a Statesman ring when a
Viscount phone was in vision (etc)

What ARE you talking about???

Telephones don't all have the same ring.

I think light is dawning, a Statesman and a Viscount are models of handsets,
right? If not I still don't understand.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Problem with modern ding dongs is they're just too quiet. My parents had
50s one with 3 ft long tubes - now that was ok. More tubular bells than
ding dong.

My old gran had something similar. She also kept a Billy goat and a baby
sheep. So she had a ram a lamb a dingdong. :-)

A billy goat isn't a ram.

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

wrote:

Problem with modern ding dongs is they're just too quiet. My parents had
50s one with 3 ft long tubes - now that was ok. More tubular bells than
ding dong.

My old gran had something similar. She also kept a Billy goat and a baby
sheep. So she had a ram a lamb a dingdong. :-)

A billy goat isn't a ram.

Look ...

He spent years waiting for that

.... and you spoilt it

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

k...
wrote:

Problem with modern ding dongs is they're just too quiet. My parents
had
50s one with 3 ft long tubes - now that was ok. More tubular bells than
ding dong.

My old gran had something similar. She also kept a Billy goat and a baby
sheep. So she had a ram a lamb a dingdong. :-)

A billy goat isn't a ram.

Look ...

He spent years waiting for that

... and you spoilt it

small voice
sorry

But he really should know that there are pedants round here ...

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I find that a new stainless sink unit top, a one handle mixer and

downlighters over appeals to a woman.

Not this one.

It looks clean and new and the

bright light makes it sparkle.

So?

People like new things and a new sink

top means they are not using what you used.

Oh come on!

All that can be done for

less than =A3100. Make sure the agent always turns on the kitchen lights
when showing people around, otherwise they may not notice the new
sparkling sink unit and mixer.

Well, I don't suppose it matters that you sell to the gullible ... their
money's as good as anyone else's.

Mary

You seem to be easily pleased. I wish I could sell a house to you.

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

Also, on the occasion I sold the house, I purposefully made some fresh
coffee to make the house smell. I have heard fresh baked bread works too.

It wouldn't with me. I hate thesmell of bread baking. I've made all our
bread for well over forty yearsand still hate the smell.

But I doubt I'd be taken in by any of the suggested ploys. Why not be honest
and present the house as it is, let the buyer decide what to do with it to
make it his/her ideal living place? If they have any character they're not
going to keep it as you think it should be.

Mary

Read the link I gave. It was a list that sells a house. How do I know?
I do them up and sell them. People have the money and want a walk in a
house with newish modern kitchen, bathroom and fitted wardrobes with a
few sticks of furniture. The newer the better. It is worth fitting the
odd new sink and mixer tap and replacing all the door handles to good
quality items. Have nothing that indicates DIY with all pipes and
cables hidden. Then neutral colours. As the TV people keep saying "no
clutter". If your furniture is awful then take it away to storage and
rent modern furniture, or just live with relatives and leave the place
empty. That should sell the place.

Go to the show house on building sites and take pictures. They have
professionals to design the interiors to appeal to a wide market.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

small voice
sorry

But he really should know that there are pedants round here ...

Quite, so to get my own back. . . Your trimming ability seems
to be sliding!

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I find that a new stainless sink unit top, a one handle mixer and

downlighters over appeals to a woman.

Not this one.

It looks clean and new and the

bright light makes it sparkle.

So?

People like new things and a new sink

top means they are not using what you used.

Oh come on!

All that can be done for

less than £100. Make sure the agent always turns on the kitchen lights
when showing people around, otherwise they may not notice the new
sparkling sink unit and mixer.

Well, I don't suppose it matters that you sell to the gullible ... their
money's as good as anyone else's.

Mary

You seem to be easily pleased. I wish I could sell a house to you.

You won't. We bought this one 42 years ago and don't intend moving again.
Still haven't unpacked everything from the last time.

It's not a matter of my being easily pleased, it seems that the suggestions
being made are for those easily pleased by 'top show'. There's far more to a
house than shiny surfaces and downlighters. I can see through that sort of
artifice. I'm NOT easily pleased :-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

small voice
sorry

But he really should know that there are pedants round here ...

Quite, so to get my own back. . . Your trimming ability seems
to be sliding!

Your apparent over-trimming must have removed what you're complaining about.

But if you want to get your own back go ahead, it doesn't hurt :-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...

But I doubt I'd be taken in by any of the suggested ploys. Why not be
honest
and present the house as it is, let the buyer decide what to do with it
make it his/her ideal living place? If they have any character they're
not
going to keep it as you think it should be.

Mary

Read the link I gave. It was a list that sells a house. How do I know?
I do them up and sell them.

To a limited (although probably large) market.

People have the money and want a walk in a
house with newish modern kitchen, bathroom and fitted wardrobes with a
few sticks of furniture.

Some people, not all. The discriminating ones want more. We'd rather have
something we could make our own.

The newer the better. It is worth fitting the
odd new sink and mixer tap

A mixer tap would be a negative point for us.

and replacing all the door handles to good
quality items.

Are you suggesting that the original owners have poor quality door handles?
That's insulting.

Have nothing that indicates DIY with all pipes and
cables hidden. Then neutral colours. As the TV people keep saying "no
clutter". If your furniture is awful

More insulting language. And as for what's said on TV - well, if you set
your standards by what others are saying it suggests that you can't think
for yourself.

then take it away to storage and
rent modern furniture,

Most modern furniture would be 100% undesirable to many people.

or just live with relatives and leave the place
empty. That should sell the place.

No-one to make coffee or bread then!

Go to the show house on building sites and take pictures. They have
professionals to design the interiors to appeal to a wide market.

But not the whole market. Who wants to be one of a crowd? I'd rather be an
individual and make my own judgements, have the furniture, fittings and
colours to my tastes, not others'. And I'm not alone.

I've been to 'show houses'. They're just that, for show, not for living.
Yesterday I received an IKEA catalogue. I looked at every page and couldn't
see any room setting which looked as though it were really being lived in -
or could be lived in. The catalogue's in the recycling bin.

For some years I worked for a professional commercial photographer. The
artifices practised in the advertising and PR world are dishonest and since
my eyes were opened I don't believe anything which smacks of such deceit.

Mary

Nick Atty

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:34:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Read the link I gave. It was a list that sells a house. How do I know?
I do them up and sell them.

To a limited (although probably large) market.

Exactly.

This is a thread about how do you help to sell your house. Not how do
you sell your house to Mary Fisher.

Just because you are different, doesn't mean (pace Bernard Shaw) that
the entire world should change to suit you.

If there are 10 people like you, then aiming for the other 60million-10
is a more sensible approach for someone _who_wants_to_sell_their_house_.

Gad.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nick Atty wrote:
This is a thread about how do you help to sell your house. Not how do
you sell your house to Mary Fisher.

Well it is, but this is a DIY group - rather than a 'how to fleece the
punters' one. So opinions on buying a tarted up house are equally as valid.

To explain, if everyone wants to buy a perfect house ready to move into,
why read this group?

Oh - I'll tell you. Houses tarted up purely for sale are likely to not
give satisfaction to actually live in. Because those doing the tarting up
are only interested in making a profit. And therefore there will be many
corners cut and bodges.

Which is what 'timegoesby' does.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nick Atty wrote:
This is a thread about how do you help to sell your house. Not how do
you sell your house to Mary Fisher.

Well it is, but this is a DIY group - rather than a 'how to fleece the
punters' one. So opinions on buying a tarted up house are equally as valid.

To explain, if everyone wants to buy a perfect house ready to move into,
why read this group?

Oh - I'll tell you. Houses tarted up purely for sale are likely to not
give satisfaction to actually live in. Because those doing the tarting up
are only interested in making a profit. And therefore there will be many
corners cut and bodges.

Which is what 'timegoesby' does.

Have you seen my houses then? 'fraid not. They sell quickly because
they are are tip top in quality, interior and exterior decorative
design. Look at the amateur property developer TV programmes. Most
people loose money. You have to know what you are doing and what the
majority of people want in your area. What sells in a small Yorshire
town will not in North London. Most of the people who view my houses
are not British. You have to know what appeals to people in the rest of
the world. Look at a top quality hotel suite in an international hotel,
and that may give you an idea of fitments and quality.

*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

Nick Atty wrote:
This is a thread about how do you help to sell your house. Not how do
you sell your house to Mary Fisher.

Well it is, but this is a DIY group - rather than a 'how to fleece the
punters' one. So opinions on buying a tarted up house are equally as
valid.

To explain, if everyone wants to buy a perfect house ready to move into,
why read this group?

Oh - I'll tell you. Houses tarted up purely for sale are likely to not
give satisfaction to actually live in. Because those doing the tarting up
are only interested in making a profit. And therefore there will be many
corners cut and bodges.

I couldn't have put itbetter!

Mary

Rembrandt Kuipers

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Well if you'd bought a television ...

I wish I had a pound for everyone who's said that. It doesn't work though

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we
still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a
visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still
to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable
package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when
informed that we do not have a TV. Had to be there.

Rem
Mary Fisher

"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Well if you'd bought a television ...

I wish I had a pound for everyone who's said that. It doesn't work though

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we still
do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a visit. Do
they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still to have the
pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

I once had visit. Then I continued getting letters.

I don't any more, I sent a VERY stiff letter ...

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable
package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when informed
that we do not have a TV. Had to be there.

In my experience they just back off. If we're mad enough not to have a telly
who knows what a danger to society we are?

Mary

Rem

Jeremy C B Nicoll

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yesterday I received an IKEA catalogue. I looked at every page and
couldn't see any room setting which looked as though it were really
being lived in - or could be lived in. The catalogue's in the
recycling bin.

That's a little harsh, after all by your own admission people are
different. Lots of people could easily live in a typical IKEA room
'set'.

I've always been quite taken with IKEA's attention to detail in their
showrooms - things like the way you find things inside the storage
units. In many stores units are all either empty or have huge stacks
of promo literature inside them. At least in IKEA you can believe that
someone wanted to store something in that chest of drawers, etc..

Andy Hall

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:40:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we still
do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a visit. Do
they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still to have the
pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

I once had visit. Then I continued getting letters.

I don't any more, I sent a VERY stiff letter ...

I've got a library of cardboard ones, created over the years for "that
special occasion". My two favourite folders are those for
jobsworths and companies who don't deliver on their promises and think
that that's acceptable.

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable
package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when informed
that we do not have a TV. Had to be there.

In my experience they just back off. If we're mad enough not to have a telly
who knows what a danger to society we are?

I expect that Special Branch has us both logged as subversives.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message ,
Rembrandt Kuipers writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Well if you'd bought a television ...

I wish I had a pound for everyone who's said that. It doesn't work
though ....

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we
still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a
visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still
to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable
package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when
informed that we do not have a TV. Had to be there.

I keep getting those at work

I replied once telling them that the address is an engineering company,
that we don't have a TV, and please to stop wasting my license payers
money by sending out these letters

I got an apology - but it didn't stop the letters coming

I just ignore them and throw them in the bin

They've never come round to check

--
geoff
Matt

raden wrote:

Ah Aah - alles klar

marginally better than a mudhut then

A mudhut with running water, the dream of many in North London ;-)

DJC

Rembrandt Kuipers wrote:

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we
still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a
visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still
to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

Been getting the for years, about one a month lately. I don't even open
them, straight in the recycling bucket.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Mary Fisher

"Jeremy C B Nicoll" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yesterday I received an IKEA catalogue. I looked at every page and
couldn't see any room setting which looked as though it were really
being lived in - or could be lived in. The catalogue's in the
recycling bin.

That's a little harsh, after all by your own admission people are
different. Lots of people could easily live in a typical IKEA room
'set'.

OK, I grant you that there might be somepeople with lives I can't relate to!

I've always been quite taken with IKEA's attention to detail in their
showrooms - things like the way you find things inside the storage
units. In many stores units are all either empty or have huge stacks
of promo literature inside them. At least in IKEA you can believe that
someone wanted to store something in that chest of drawers, etc..

Of course.But it's what they store which is odd. I mean, where do they keep
their spares for all the props they show? How many pairs of knickers do you
need for a normal life? Where are last week's magazines (to say nothing of
last month's)? How about the tools left lying around by whoever (men,
usually)? What about sewing kits - needles, threads, cut off trouser bottoms
against the day for patching? Spinning wheels, the stuff which piles up
against computers, photograph albums, jigsaw puzzles, packs of printing
paper ...

I'll stop there because the list would be too long but in our lives we've
never been able to be as tidy as the catalogue shows. Yes, they show
children on sofas with the odd toy lying around but what about five kids'
worth of Lego scattered everywhere? Don't say that they provide chests for
all that stuff because the amount of Lego even one child can accumulate
spreads over at least two rooms' floors as well as in beds and kitchens and
up noses and... well ... it never shows in the book. even without all the
other stuff kids accumulate.

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest 'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

I don't really want to know poeople with such lives, I'll say no more :-)

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest 'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

My sister is incredibly tidy.
Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest 'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

My sister is incredibly tidy.

So is my mother.

But in my experience tidy people don't have much to keep tidy ...

You can go right off some people :-)

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest 'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

My sister is incredibly tidy.

So is my mother.

But in my experience tidy people don't have much to keep tidy ...

Well, she does quite regularly chuck stuff out.
(We've just put up a new shed in the garden, for storage purposes.)

Sheila
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest
'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

My sister is incredibly tidy.

So is my mother.

But in my experience tidy people don't have much to keep tidy ...

Well, she does quite regularly chuck stuff out.
(We've just put up a new shed in the garden, for storage purposes.)

LOL! Over the years we've put up three and a wing on one! To say nothing of
flooring the loft.

When the five children were at home we were short of room. Now they've all
gone we have even less room ... it doesn't make sense ... And we DO throw
stuff out but the things we're using all the time seem to spread. Especially
his.

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

When the five children were at home we were short of room. Now they've all
gone we have even less room ... it doesn't make sense ... And we DO throw
stuff out but the things we're using all the time seem to spread.

That's because we DO stuff.
Which requires tools.
And materials.
And books.

Hence the extra shed.

Sheila

Rembrandt Kuipers wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Well if you'd bought a television ...

I wish I had a pound for everyone who's said that. It doesn't work though

We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we
still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a
visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still
to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

If they visit, don't speak to them, even if you don't have a TV. Tell
them to get off your property and slam the door on them. If they still
stand at the front door pour a bucket of water on them from the upper
windows. They have no right to enter your house. They are just snoopers
and no one likes a snooper, so treat them accordingly then they might
go out and get a proper job.

I also remember a salesman trying to sell us on the wonders of a cable
package. It was amusing to see his sales pitch disintegrate when
informed that we do not have a TV. Had to be there.

Rem

raden wrote:
In message ,
Rembrandt Kuipers writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
[...]

Raden,

If they came around what would you do? Would you direct them to the
door forthwith?

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

When the five children were at home we were short of room. Now they've
all
gone we have even less room ... it doesn't make sense ... And we DO throw
stuff out but the things we're using all the time seem to spread.

That's because we DO stuff.
Which requires tools.
And materials.
And books.

Exactly my point. The Ikea sets aren't real for most people.

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
We have just got another of those letters assuring us that the if we
still do not have a TV we need take no further action but to expect a
visit. Do they actually ever visit? After all these years I have still
to have the pleasure of entertaining a TV inspector.

If they visit, don't speak to them, even if you don't have a TV.

Even? Or are you just trying to avoid paying?

Tell them to get off your property and slam the door on them. If they
still stand at the front door pour a bucket of water on them from the
upper windows.

And add assault to any other charges?

They have no right to enter your house.

I think you might want to check up on that.

They are just snoopers and no one likes a snooper, so treat them
accordingly then they might go out and get a proper job.

Of course if you don't have a TV, that may be so. But very very few don't
- they just want to avoid paying for the service, same as with so many
other things.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

When the five children were at home we were short of room. Now they've
all
gone we have even less room ... it doesn't make sense ... And we DO throw
stuff out but the things we're using all the time seem to spread.

That's because we DO stuff.
Which requires tools.
And materials.
And books.

Exactly my point. The Ikea sets aren't real for most people.

You must lead a sheltered life! There seem to be many more people who
simply sit and watch television, rather than actually doing anything
constructive (or interesting).
When we had our needlework shop, I actually had people coming in to have
_buttons_ sewn on! Fully grown adult granny-people, who truly had NO idea
how to do any of the most basic tasks.
It's fortunate for them that frozen dinners come in packets with detailed
directions.

Sheila