Mary Fisher

"Jeremy C B Nicoll" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Yesterday I received an IKEA catalogue. I looked at every page and
couldn't see any room setting which looked as though it were really
being lived in - or could be lived in. The catalogue's in the
recycling bin.

That's a little harsh, after all by your own admission people are
different. Lots of people could easily live in a typical IKEA room
'set'.

OK, I grant you that there might be somepeople with lives I can't relate to!

I've always been quite taken with IKEA's attention to detail in their
showrooms - things like the way you find things inside the storage
units. In many stores units are all either empty or have huge stacks
of promo literature inside them. At least in IKEA you can believe that
someone wanted to store something in that chest of drawers, etc..

Of course.But it's what they store which is odd. I mean, where do they keep
their spares for all the props they show? How many pairs of knickers do you
need for a normal life? Where are last week's magazines (to say nothing of
last month's)? How about the tools left lying around by whoever (men,
usually)? What about sewing kits - needles, threads, cut off trouser bottoms
against the day for patching? Spinning wheels, the stuff which piles up
against computers, photograph albums, jigsaw puzzles, packs of printing
paper ...

I'll stop there because the list would be too long but in our lives we've
never been able to be as tidy as the catalogue shows. Yes, they show
children on sofas with the odd toy lying around but what about five kids'
worth of Lego scattered everywhere? Don't say that they provide chests for
all that stuff because the amount of Lego even one child can accumulate
spreads over at least two rooms' floors as well as in beds and kitchens and
up noses and... well ... it never shows in the book. even without all the
other stuff kids accumulate.

I don't know anyone who lives like Ikea folk. Even our tidiest 'children'
with their children aren't Ikea folk.

But there might, somewhere, be some.

I don't really want to know poeople with such lives, I'll say no more :-)

Mary