Adrian Brentnall

Default 'Dressing' a house to help it sell.....

HI All
We've all seen the 'my house won't sell' programs on the TV - where
the expert swans in and with a few vases of flowers and a couple of
candles here & there, miraculously converts an un-sellable house into
something that's eagerly snapped up by the first family to view.

OK - so the TV programs are going to be 90% er .... fertiliser ....
g - but here's a question.

Our bungalow seems to be taking longer than we'd like to sell. It's
set up at the moment for 'our' needs - has two double bedrooms (only
one has a bed in it at the moment), one quite small bedroom (currently
used as a 'hobbies' room) and a large 2nd bathroom with jacuzzi and
power shower.

Our agent seems terminally clueless.... so I got to thinking.....

How about....
Ditch the jacuzzi.
Put the fittings from the 2nd bathroom into the smallest bedroom - so
we end up with 2 bathrooms - one with bath and one with power-shower.
Turn the existing large bathroom into a good-sized double bedroom.
'Dress' the new double bedroom and the existing spare bedroom so that
they look like bedrooms, rather than just 'spare' rooms.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I don't think it'd take all that long,
and I can do the work myself.

Net result would be 3 double beds rather than 2 - only thing we'd lose
is the jacuzzi.......

Of course - anybody buying the house could just as easily do this for
themselves - but (if you believe the TV progs) potential purchasers
don't have the necessary imagination to see this...

So - leave everything 'as is' - or put in a bit of d-i-y effort to
make the place more saleable ? your opinions please.....

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Ian Cornish

Having moved recently, I can say that "dressing" and a little bit of
tidying up does wonders.
3yrs ago, my old 2 bed mid terrace was on the market for 6 months. 1
offer, 40k below asking price (half price!). Main problems we 1) ex
was a smoker, 2) ex's stuff (tons of it) still all over the place.
Remedy:
Message to Ex (get your stuff from the skip by certain date)
paint all ceilings & woodwork
reposition the furniture.
Get a friend you trust to tell you the truth (and truth hurts) and get
them to appraise the house.... more work...gutted the kitchen, new B&Q
units, some landscaping in the gardens etc.

Net result... property back on the market after spending 6 months doing
the work. Market prices had fallen a little...sold for more than the
asking price within 2 months (had 2 buyers "competing").

So, in short, yes, DIY does help, but only the right kind.
Not knowing your house, and I'm not an expert... make the 2nd bedroom a
bedroom (stick a bed in it - get a cheap 2nd hand one, then sell it on
when you don't want it anymore). Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it another
bedroom. Make last bedroom a study. Look objectively at the other
rooms... lounge, dining room, kitchen,etc, and the outside too.

HTH.

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

david lang

Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com wrote:
Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it
another bedroom.

Wouldn't a jacuzzi be a big selling point?

I reckon people buy dreams not houses.

Dave

Ian Cornish

I suppose it depends on the market you are selling to. Stereo-typically,
bungalows go to older people, so, it's really all about tailoring the
house to the market. (jeez, I sound like one of those TV shows!)

david lang wrote:
Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com wrote:

Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it
another bedroom.

Wouldn't a jacuzzi be a big selling point?

I reckon people buy dreams not houses.

Dave

Adrian Brentnall

Hi Ian
Thanks for the comments

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:27:01 +0100, Ian Cornish "icornish at talk21
dot com" wrote:

Having moved recently, I can say that "dressing" and a little bit of
tidying up does wonders.
3yrs ago, my old 2 bed mid terrace was on the market for 6 months. 1
offer, 40k below asking price (half price!). Main problems we 1) ex
was a smoker, 2) ex's stuff (tons of it) still all over the place.
Remedy:
Message to Ex (get your stuff from the skip by certain date)
paint all ceilings & woodwork
reposition the furniture.

We've already had a tidy out - but there's probably (certainly !) more
that we could do.... also done a 'strategic repaint' where
necessary...

Get a friend you trust to tell you the truth (and truth hurts) and get
them to appraise the house.... more work...gutted the kitchen, new B&Q
units, some landscaping in the gardens etc.

Kitchen's only about 4 years old and in pretty good condition. Gardens
aren't 'ideal home' style - but are reasonably tidy.

Net result... property back on the market after spending 6 months doing
the work. Market prices had fallen a little...sold for more than the
asking price within 2 months (had 2 buyers "competing").

Well done !

So, in short, yes, DIY does help, but only the right kind.
Not knowing your house, and I'm not an expert... make the 2nd bedroom a
bedroom (stick a bed in it - get a cheap 2nd hand one, then sell it on
when you don't want it anymore).

Might even be able to borrow one from a neighbour - even better !

Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it another
bedroom.

Yes - that's how I was thinking

Make last bedroom a study.

Got one of those (study) already g

At least if we went for the '2 bedrooms' plan then there'd be one with
a shower and one with a bath.... - the shower cubicle is a
free-standing fiberglass one - so it'd be a doddle to relocate it.

Look objectively at the other
rooms... lounge, dining room, kitchen,etc, and the outside too.

Done that - again some repainting and general tidying / finishing
off..

HTH.

Very much so - thanks Ian
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Adrian Brentnall

HI Dave

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:43:28 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Ian Cornish" "icornish at talk21 dot com wrote:
Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it
another bedroom.

Wouldn't a jacuzzi be a big selling point?

I reckon people buy dreams not houses.

Dunno....
Trouble is, the room with the jacuzzi in is about the same size as the
master bedroom - and it's possibly a bit of a waste of space.

We installed the jacuzzi - and find that we seldom use it.....

Trouble is - I'd hate to do the work and then have a prospective
purchaser say 'hey - we could convert this big bedroom into a jacuzzi
room' g

I guess as a general rule a place with 3 double bedrooms is going to
be more attractive than one with 2 doubles and one single...?

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Owain

Ian Cornish wrote:
Make last bedroom a study.

Might be better to have a small desk/dressing table with computer (you
can pick up old laptops for peanuts, it looks swisher and takes up less
space than a desktop) in the 2nd bedroom. You don't want to miss the
opportunity of presenting a third bedroom as a bedroom.

If it's a bungalow it may appeal to retired people more, they may be
more interested in space for children and grandchildren to stay than a
home office. Try and aim to widest possible market.

Look objectively at the other
rooms... lounge, dining room, kitchen,etc, and the outside too.

Outside very important - first impressions formed before people cross
the front door. Some tubs and bedding plants cost next to nothing. Paint
front door. Nice ding-dong doorbell, not cheapy. Trim hedges. Garden
furniture - being sold off cheap now as end of season - show the garden
as an extra room - families will want entertaining / child play space,
retired people may spend more time at home.

And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not that
I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own mess we
can get.

Owain

Owain

david lang wrote:
Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it
another bedroom.

Wouldn't a jacuzzi be a big selling point?
I reckon people buy dreams not houses.

Yes, but bedrooms take precedence over dreams (usually).

Owain

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Sounds good. Body jet showers help sell a place in north London. I'm
not sure if they add value in your area.

Of course - anybody buying the house could just as easily do this for
themselves - but (if you believe the TV progs) potential purchasers
don't have the necessary imagination to see this...

The TV shows are right, most do not. Those who do, will rightly drop
your price as they see work ahead.

So - leave everything 'as is' - or put in a bit of d-i-y effort to
make the place more saleable ? your opinions please.....

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

See my post on this point
http://tinyurl.com/bzrnr

Best of luck.

dot com" wrote:

[...]

I find that a new stainless sink unit top, a one handle mixer and
downlighters over appeals to a woman. It looks clean and new and the
bright light makes it sparkle. People like new things and a new sink
top means they are not using what you used. All that can be done for
less than =A3100. Make sure the agent always turns on the kitchen lights
when showing people around, otherwise they may not notice the new
sparkling sink unit and mixer.

Adrian Brentnall

Hi Owain

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:27:43 +0100, Owain
wrote:

david lang wrote:
Ditch the jacuzzi etc, make it
another bedroom.

Wouldn't a jacuzzi be a big selling point?
I reckon people buy dreams not houses.

Yes, but bedrooms take precedence over dreams (usually).

Owain

Coo - this is getting all a bit metaphysical !
Here's a question.

If I went ahead with the planned reorganisation, what would I need to
do with the existing electrics in the ex-bedroom / new bathroom. It's
a couple of 13A twin sockets - is it sufficient to chokky-block the
ring main and fit blanking plates to the back boxes. Could crimp if
that was better. Likewise light switching - blanking plates and
pull-switches in the ceiling ok ??

Thanks
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Adrian Brentnall

HI Owain

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:26:32 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Ian Cornish wrote:
Make last bedroom a study.

Might be better to have a small desk/dressing table with computer (you
can pick up old laptops for peanuts, it looks swisher and takes up less
space than a desktop) in the 2nd bedroom. You don't want to miss the
opportunity of presenting a third bedroom as a bedroom.

Yes - as I said before we already have a separate study with two
desks and two computers - so more study area seems a bit extravagant
g. The current 3rd bedroom is pretty small, and (taking your point
from the end of the post) fairly cluttered. It'd make more sense as a
bathroom, I think.

If it's a bungalow it may appeal to retired people more, they may be
more interested in space for children and grandchildren to stay than a
home office. Try and aim to widest possible market.

Yes - good plan - flexibility is the keyword.....

Look objectively at the other
rooms... lounge, dining room, kitchen,etc, and the outside too.

Outside very important - first impressions formed before people cross
the front door. Some tubs and bedding plants cost next to nothing.

Yes - done that g

Paint
front door.

UPVC g - though it could do with a bit of a scrub !

Nice ding-dong doorbell, not cheapy. Trim hedges. Garden
furniture - being sold off cheap now as end of season - show the garden
as an extra room - families will want entertaining / child play space,
retired people may spend more time at home.

Yes - had a go at all that too..... but thanks for reminding us.

And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not that
I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own mess we
can get.

Guilty as charged, m'lud.
In order to empty the 'soon-to-be-bathroom' I'll need to put all of my
radio and electronics 'toys' neatly back in their boxes......
- I guess the way to look at it is that if we put ourselves out and
live in a state of unnatural tidyness for a few months then we can get
this place sold and get back into our 'normal' state in a new house
all the sooner. (What a messy sentence - you wouldn't think that dear
old Dad was ane English teacher !)

Think it's time for one big push.....!

Kind of frustrating - we're looking to move to the south-west of
Ireland - and had an email just a couple of days ago from one of the
agents over there - they're having an 'end of season auction' - 20 or
so properties up for auction at silly guide prices - be great to be
able to get involved in that, but need to get this sale sorted first !

Thanks for all the advice
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Bob Smith

"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...
HI All
We've all seen the 'my house won't sell' programs on the TV - where
the expert swans in and with a few vases of flowers and a couple of
candles here & there, miraculously converts an un-sellable house into
something that's eagerly snapped up by the first family to view.

snip

So - leave everything 'as is' - or put in a bit of d-i-y effort to
make the place more saleable ? your opinions please.....

I had a mid terrace with a "junk room" loft conversion (not a bedroom due
to building regs etc). Went for ages without selling, even though we had
about 10 people look at it.

I changed estate agents, then got on decorating. Did the loft in "house
doctor" neutral colours, stuck an old duvet on the old bed, put a throw over
the 2 large fold out spongy chair beds, stuck a picture on the wall, hid all
the junk in cupboards.

One couple came around, and the lady would not go up the stairs (it was an
open wooden staircase, and a bit steep) because she was scared of falling
through!. Waste of my time decorating I thought.

An older couple came around. He thought the ancient carpet on the main
stairs was nice because it reminded him of one his parents had (?). They
put an offer in at the asking price. The same price one estate agent refused
to put the house on for when I was switching.

Also, on the occasion I sold the house, I purposefully made some fresh
coffee to make the house smell. I have heard fresh baked bread works too.

You would have thought estate agents would be able to give some house doctor
tips, but they always said it was fine.

Bob

Owain

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Might be better to have a small desk/dressing table with computer (you
can pick up old laptops for peanuts, it looks swisher and takes up less
space than a desktop) in the 2nd bedroom. You don't want to miss the
opportunity of presenting a third bedroom as a bedroom.

Yes - as I said before we already have a separate study with two
desks and two computers - so more study area seems a bit extravagant
g.

Yebbut you're going to present the study as a bedroom. Or a bathroom. So
you need a study space somewhere.

And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not that
I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own mess we
can get.

Guilty as charged, m'lud.
In order to empty the 'soon-to-be-bathroom' I'll need to put all of my
radio and electronics 'toys' neatly back in their boxes......

Well, it all has to be packed for moving anyway, so it might as well be
packed before selling.

Owain

Adrian Brentnall

Hi Owain

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:53:33 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Might be better to have a small desk/dressing table with computer (you
can pick up old laptops for peanuts, it looks swisher and takes up less
space than a desktop) in the 2nd bedroom. You don't want to miss the
opportunity of presenting a third bedroom as a bedroom.

Yes - as I said before we already have a separate study with two
desks and two computers - so more study area seems a bit extravagant
g.

Yebbut you're going to present the study as a bedroom. Or a bathroom. So
you need a study space somewhere.

Yebbut nobutt g - we have currently 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, misc other
rooms _and_ a study.......

The only changes I'm planning on making are turning a big bathroom
into a (big) bedroom, and a small bedroom into a (small) bathroom.....

Probably easier with pictures g

And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not that
I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own mess we
can get.

Guilty as charged, m'lud.
In order to empty the 'soon-to-be-bathroom' I'll need to put all of my
radio and electronics 'toys' neatly back in their boxes......

Well, it all has to be packed for moving anyway, so it might as well be
packed before selling.

True ......

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Adrian Brentnall

HI Bob

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:54:00 +0100, "Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease
wrote:

[...]

Yes - that's the sort of thing I had in mind - make the bedrooms look
like bedrooms by putting beds in them.......g

One couple came around, and the lady would not go up the stairs (it was an
open wooden staircase, and a bit steep) because she was scared of falling
through!. Waste of my time decorating I thought.

An older couple came around. He thought the ancient carpet on the main
stairs was nice because it reminded him of one his parents had (?). They
put an offer in at the asking price. The same price one estate agent refused
to put the house on for when I was switching.

Also, on the occasion I sold the house, I purposefully made some fresh
coffee to make the house smell. I have heard fresh baked bread works too.

You would have thought estate agents would be able to give some house doctor
tips, but they always said it was fine.

Yes - you would think that the agents would offer 'handy hints' - but
it seems that ours just aren't being all that proactive......

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
david lang

Owain wrote:

They also need a bedside table with a lamp, drawers and wardrobe, to
look convincing.

And pillows stuffed under the duvets so people think someone is asleep :-)

I'm always amazed that people on these TV shows can't see past the lived in
mess and colour schemes and visualise what the room really is and what it
could be.

Dave

Set Square

david lang wrote:

Owain wrote:

They also need a bedside table with a lamp, drawers and wardrobe, to
look convincing.

And pillows stuffed under the duvets so people think someone is
asleep :-)

I'm always amazed that people on these TV shows can't see past the
lived in mess and colour schemes and visualise what the room really
is and what it could be.

Dave

Yes, so am I. But apparently they ain't atypical - and if we want our house
to appeal to the widest possible audience we have to leave nothing to the
imagination.

Sad ain't it - and I'm sure that none of us in this NG would have any
difficulty in working out what's what - but we are, after all, a select
group - and there are millions of plebs out there who don't share our
omniscience! g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Adrian Brentnall

HI Owain

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:04:10 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Yebbut you're going to present the study as a bedroom. Or a bathroom. So
you need a study space somewhere.

Yebbut nobutt g - we have currently 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, misc other
rooms _and_ a study.......
The only changes I'm planning on making are turning a big bathroom
into a (big) bedroom, and a small bedroom into a (small) bathroom.....

I didn't realise you lived in a mansion :-)

Sorry for the delay in replying - was shooting peasants in the West
Wing g
Not quite a mansion - just a bungalow with more than its fair share of
rooms - there's a lot of 'free space' out here in the wilds of East
Anglia g

Probably easier with pictures g

I find floorplans *very* useful as part of the property particulars, it
really helps imagine how the house 'flows'.

Yes - odd how few Agents seem to understand this. For all his bad
points (and believe me - there were many !) our 1st agent did include
a floor-plan with the property details.... and it certainly saves the
mental gymnastics involved in trying to guess how the rooms in a house
are arranged by looking at the room dimensions !

Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Owain

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:06:55 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I do waih that the great viewing public could be brutally honest

Well if you upload some pictures somewhere I'm sure we'll all oblige.

I'm sure that you all would g
I'll wait until I'm feeling unbearably optimistic before I go in for
such public humiliation g - but if anybody wants to buy a bungalow
then you're all welcome to come round and see for yourselves ....

We try to be fairly 'organic' with our gardening - one rather
up-market estate agent came round, name of Trystram or some such, and
objected quite strongly to the bath sitting in the veg patch (home to
some very organic frogs & toads - not just dumped there....).

Odd what some people consider to be unsightly - the bath's now gone,
by the way, and the frogs, toads and newts have been moved into the
main pond in the front garden - leaving the free-range chickens in
charge of molluscicide in the veg patch......

Ho hum
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

chris French

In message , Owain
writes
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not
that I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own
mess we can get.

Guilty as charged, m'lud.
In order to empty the 'soon-to-be-bathroom' I'll need to put all of my
radio and electronics 'toys' neatly back in their boxes......

Well, it all has to be packed for moving anyway, so it might as well be
packed before selling.

We put a lot of stuff in to Self Storage, lot of books, some bits of
furniture we wanted to keep but could do without, quite a bit of general
ornaments etc. that again we wanted to keep but probably added little to
the house for selling, camping stuff we had stashed in the spare bedroom
etc. etc.

We put a real effort into presenting our last house well, finished off
lots of roundtuit jobs, decluttered etc. Some things we couldn't by then
do anything about, but we made the best of what we had, which was by
then looking very good. when the estate agent came round for taking
pictures I hardly recognised the house.

We sold the house in 2 weeks in Jan, for the asking price and we had 2
couples (out of I think 4 viewing) who wanted the house. other houses on
our street had been on for a few months by then and were still on sale
when we moved in April.

--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
I'm always amazed that people on these TV shows can't see past the lived
in mess and colour schemes and visualise what the room really is and
what it could be.

Same here. I can understand first time buyers wanting - if possible -
something they can move straight into, as it were, but experienced ones
are likely to see something that's been toshed over for what it is.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Adrian Brentnall

HI Chris

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:39:12 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Owain
writes
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not
that I'm suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own
mess we can get.
Guilty as charged, m'lud.
In order to empty the 'soon-to-be-bathroom' I'll need to put all of my
radio and electronics 'toys' neatly back in their boxes......

Well, it all has to be packed for moving anyway, so it might as well be
packed before selling.

We put a lot of stuff in to Self Storage, lot of books, some bits of
furniture we wanted to keep but could do without, quite a bit of general
ornaments etc. that again we wanted to keep but probably added little to
the house for selling, camping stuff we had stashed in the spare bedroom
etc. etc.

We've got plenty of room 'outisde' and 'upstairs' for hiding clutter -
just lacking the enthusiasm g. Still - as others have said, it will
all need to be binned or moved eventually - we did have a good
declutter about 6 months ago - I think it's time for a second
'cut'....

We put a real effort into presenting our last house well, finished off
lots of roundtuit jobs, decluttered etc. Some things we couldn't by then
do anything about, but we made the best of what we had, which was by
then looking very good. when the estate agent came round for taking
pictures I hardly recognised the house.

Yes - I know the feeling. It's the 'hey - this isn't a bad house...
why do we want to move' syndrome g

We sold the house in 2 weeks in Jan, for the asking price and we had 2
couples (out of I think 4 viewing) who wanted the house. other houses on
our street had been on for a few months by then and were still on sale
when we moved in April.

Excellent.
Houses clearly are selling. One of the older members at the Church
last night had just sold her house (central Ipswich) in 3 weeks !
We congratulated her (through gritted teeth g)

I'll see what tomorrow's estate agent suggests - we'll do whatever it
takes....

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Adrian Brentnall

HI Owain

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:50:15 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I didn't realise you lived in a mansion :-)

Sorry for the delay in replying - was shooting peasants in the West
Wing g

One of my favourite Punch cartoons is a couple sitting down to breakfast
in a stately home, you can see room after room after room stretching
away in the distance. They are reading the newspapers and says to the
other, "I say, Davinia, it says in here the East Wing burnt down last
night".

Love it !
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Turn the existing large bathroom into a good-sized double bedroom
Re-use some of the plumbing from the old bathroom to make a new bedroom
with an en-suite ?
Would soil pipe for new bathroom be difficult ?
Simon.

chris French

In message , Bob Smith
writes

"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...
HI All
We've all seen the 'my house won't sell' programs on the TV - where
the expert swans in and with a few vases of flowers and a couple of
candles here & there, miraculously converts an un-sellable house into
something that's eagerly snapped up by the first family to view.

On a similar note, what does everyone think when they lay the table ready
for dinner to "dress" the dining room? And putting a massive impractical
pile of cushions on the bed. Are you supposed to spend 10 minutes every
night throwing them into a pile in the corner of the room?

I think it looks forced and false, and I would think it was weird to see a
table set up for a formal dinner at 10am on a Saturday morning.

re the table, I have also seen them on TV suggesting not to lay the
table, because of course as you say it looks odd, but just to put one or
two things on it to act as focus. I suspect that maybe they do the full
table thing on TV because it looks ok on TV.

With our dining room we removed the plastic table cloth thing that was
normally on it, put a runner down the length of it that nearly matched
the curtains, and had nice crystal vase with flowers - white lilies
looked good . It really did lift the room up a notch when you first
walked in

cushions aren't my thing, but I think the point again really is about
making an effort to present it well. We had a bed spread and a couple of
cushions that matched the curtain, of course as a rule we never used it
as it just meant we had to take it off when we went to bed anyway. But
it did make the room look good with it on, so we used to put it on when
were selling the house. Again it just lifted the room a bit on first
viewing, pulled it together, gave it more thought out finished feel.

I don't think that any of these small things in themselves make or break
a deal, but I think they do go towards creating good impression in
buyers minds which is crucial IMO.
--
Chris French

Adrian Brentnall

Hi All

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:50:28 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Bob Smith
writes

[...]

Good comments.
Had (potential) new estate agent lady round today - she confirmed that
we've got the price about right (in her opinion) and that a bit of
de-cluttering and 'dressing' will help to make it more instantly
appealing. So - cardboard boxes 1st thing tomorrow morning !!

What a game, eh ??

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Matt

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote:

And putting a massive impractical
pile of cushions on the bed. Are you supposed to spend 10 minutes every
night throwing them into a pile in the corner of the room?

Watch "Along Came Polly" and you'll see Hollywood's view on the
cushions on a bed syndrome ;-)

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

I find that a new stainless sink unit top, a one handle mixer and

downlighters over appeals to a woman.

Not this one.

It looks clean and new and the

bright light makes it sparkle.

So?

People like new things and a new sink

top means they are not using what you used.

Oh come on!

All that can be done for

less than £100. Make sure the agent always turns on the kitchen lights
when showing people around, otherwise they may not notice the new
sparkling sink unit and mixer.

Well, I don't suppose it matters that you sell to the gullible ... their
money's as good as anyone else's.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message

If it's a bungalow it may appeal to retired people more, they may be more
interested in space for children and grandchildren to stay than a home
office.

WHAT???

We don't WANT children and grandchildren to think they can come for a free
holiday and bugger up our lives. We spent long enough being hampered by
them, now we want time to ourselves! And we're not alone :-)

Our office is important to us. The kids can stay in the caravan (very basic)
if they want to come.

Try and aim to widest possible market.

Look objectively at the other rooms... lounge, dining room, kitchen,etc,
and the outside too.

Outside very important - first impressions formed before people cross the
front door. Some tubs and bedding plants cost next to nothing.

But need looking after by the buyers :-(

Paint front door.

Possibly in a colour the buyers would want to change.

Nice ding-dong doorbell,

BLECH!

not cheapy. Trim hedges. Garden furniture - being sold off cheap now as
end of season - show the garden as an extra room - families will want
entertaining / child play space, retired people may spend more time at
home.

Wanna bet?

And there is no excuse for clutter or uncleanliness anywhere. Not that I'm
suggesting, but it's surprising how accustomed to our own mess we can get.

Makes it look real though ...

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

Also, on the occasion I sold the house, I purposefully made some fresh
coffee to make the house smell. I have heard fresh baked bread works too.

It wouldn't with me. I hate thesmell of bread baking. I've made all our
bread for well over forty yearsand still hate the smell.

But I doubt I'd be taken in by any of the suggested ploys. Why not be honest
and present the house as it is, let the buyer decide what to do with it to
make it his/her ideal living place? If they have any character they're not
going to keep it as you think it should be.

Mary