Matt

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I invited ours in, he refused, said he could tell from looking at us and
the
garden that we didn't have one.

So what was it about you and the garden that told him that?

No idea. I asked, he said, "Experience". He knows his job, I don't.

You don't have a border with "we don't have a telly" nicely picked out
in summer blooms then?

Matt

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Geoffrey" wrote in message

I made marmalade yesterday - in the microwave. Done in 20 mins, hardly
any effort and tasted really good!

Super. I make marmalade in such large amounts that no domestic microwave
could accommodate it. But I start with whole oranges.

So do we, but only ever with Seville Oranges and they are not in
season till January.

Geoffrey

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:35:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

When I was a child my mother baked every day. She was (and actually
still is) a great cook and still makes great cakes. I STILL like shop
bought cake!

Don't let your mum hear you.

She likes them too.

when I was a kid. Sundays mean a roast, if the kids are out we might
go to the local pub who does a mean roast beef with all the trimmings
for less than a tenner.

That can be done at home - your wine will cost a lot less.

Of course it can be done at home, so what? I occasionally like to go
to the pub and have someone else cook for me and do the clearing up
afterwards.

That's what wives are for.

That's what my husband says which is why I like to go to the pub.

I rarely drink wine during the day,

I never drink wine during the day - except ocasionally champagne. But we
don't eat our main meal during the day either.

Sunday dinner in the evening? You's posh!

Once a year I clean the house. Actually I quite enjoy it, it's a bit
like a day out.

You can come and do ours.

Ick - no thanks.

I made marmalade yesterday - in the microwave. Done in 20 mins, hardly
any effort and tasted really good!

Super. I make marmalade in such large amounts that no domestic microwave
could accommodate it. But I start with whole oranges.

So did I. Bargain bags of discounted oranges from Tesco whizzed
through the food processor. So I had to do it in three batches but it
was all done in an hour and the most time consuming bit was cutting
the circles of greaseproof to fit in the jars.

I felt quite proud of myself although the general consensus among the
family was that we have enough marmalade to last a year and it'll
probably go off before then. Don't see why it should - I ran the jars
through the dishwasher at the maximum setting so they were probably
reasonably free of nasties.

I wonder if marmalade freezes.

I like the 21st century Mary, one day you should give it a try

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Matt" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

I invited ours in, he refused, said he could tell from looking at us and
the
garden that we didn't have one.

So what was it about you and the garden that told him that?

No idea. I asked, he said, "Experience". He knows his job, I don't.

You don't have a border with "we don't have a telly" nicely picked out
in summer blooms then?

I don't grow flowers - unless you can eat them. And the front garden is full
of caravan (I know, before anyone tells me, that it's an offence)

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
... I got him in by a ploy but he didn't look
round.
Did you get the stilettos and whip out ?

Can't wear stilettos - hammer toes you know.
I keep the whip for the top.

Wouldn't the Bottom appreciate it more ;-)

It doesn't spin as well and you can't see the chalk patterns.

I had an uncle who aircraft components in aluminium, he once turned me a
solid aluminium top. I loved it, no-one else had anything like it and it
never needed a new brass pin at the point.

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Matt" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Geoffrey" wrote in message

I made marmalade yesterday - in the microwave. Done in 20 mins, hardly
any effort and tasted really good!

Super. I make marmalade in such large amounts that no domestic microwave
could accommodate it. But I start with whole oranges.

So do we, but only ever with Seville Oranges and they are not in
season till January.

That was my (unwritten) point, only the cognoscenti would have known :-)
Those who use pre-preared commercial canned pulp have no idea of real
marmalade. I buy two boxes at a time from the wholesale market, last time I
paid £4.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

When I was a child my mother baked every day. She was (and actually
still is) a great cook and still makes great cakes. I STILL like shop
bought cake!

Don't let your mum hear you.

She likes them too.

So why does she bother baking?

I never drink wine during the day - except ocasionally champagne. But we
don't eat our main meal during the day either.

Sunday dinner in the evening? You's posh!

Every day, not just Sunday.

Once a year I clean the house. Actually I quite enjoy it, it's a bit
like a day out.

You can come and do ours.

Ick - no thanks.

No, on second thoughts if you have to stop for a cooked meal at noon you
wouldn't be fit for anything else afterwards.

I made marmalade yesterday - in the microwave. Done in 20 mins, hardly
any effort and tasted really good!

Super. I make marmalade in such large amounts that no domestic microwave
could accommodate it. But I start with whole oranges.

So did I. Bargain bags of discounted oranges from Tesco whizzed
through the food processor. So I had to do it in three batches but it
was all done in an hour and the most time consuming bit was cutting
the circles of greaseproof to fit in the jars.

How quaint! These days jars come with screw on caps. But see other post on
real marmalade.

I felt quite proud of myself although the general consensus among the
family was that we have enough marmalade to last a year and it'll
probably go off before then. Don't see why it should - I ran the jars
through the dishwasher at the maximum setting so they were probably
reasonably free of nasties.

It's more a matter of having the right sugar/fruit/water ratio.

I wonder if marmalade freezes.

I've never done that and we've kept marmalades and jams over decades. If you
do it properly it won't go mouldy. Keep practising.

I like the 21st century Mary, one day you should give it a try

C21st? Oh yes, that's the one with screw on caps for jars.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:40:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Mary

Very shrewd....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:41:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I invited ours in, he refused, said he could tell from looking at us and
the
garden that we didn't have one.

So what was it about you and the garden that told him that?

No idea. I asked, he said, "Experience". He knows his job, I don't.

You don't have a border with "we don't have a telly" nicely picked out
in summer blooms then?

I don't grow flowers - unless you can eat them. And the front garden is full
of caravan (I know, before anyone tells me, that it's an offence)

Mary

It is? Why? I could understand restrictive covenants etc.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:05:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No, on second thoughts if you have to stop for a cooked meal at noon you
wouldn't be fit for anything else afterwards.

That depends on what you eat.

C21st? Oh yes, that's the one with screw on caps for jars.

Kilner rules OK......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I don't grow flowers - unless you can eat them. And the front garden is
full
of caravan (I know, before anyone tells me, that it's an offence)

Mary

It is? Why?

I've no idea. It's a planning thing, apparently. It spoils the view of the
house front perhaps.

I'd love Them to come round and say we have to move it (I suspect they'd
only do that if neighbours complained and they don't care). I'd take them on
a tour round Leeds - or even just this parish - and show them all the other
'vans in front gardens.

I could understand restrictive covenants etc.

It seems that few take notice of those either.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

No, on second thoughts if you have to stop for a cooked meal at noon you
wouldn't be fit for anything else afterwards.

That depends on what you eat

And how much. No point in having a special meal if you have to think of your
physical abilities afterwards.

And we always have wine with our main meal, I wouldn't deprive guests.

C21st? Oh yes, that's the one with screw on caps for jars.

Kilner rules OK......

No, dear, jam jars. Kilner jars are for bottling fruit and veg, not for
storing jam. It's a different process - and one I don't do.

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your
approach

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your approach

Wossat then?

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your approach

Wossat then?

Standing back and letting the state and it's evil agents get away with
what they want

Of course, they get away with most of it, but ...

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your
approach

Wossat then?

Standing back and letting the state and it's evil agents get away with
what they want

You think I do that? Not that the TV folk are the state's agents.

Of course, they get away with most of it, but ...

But what?

If you don't like this state you're free to try another. Note that word,
'free'.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your
approach

Wossat then?

Standing back and letting the state and it's evil agents get away with
what they want

You think I do that? Not that the TV folk are the state's agents.

Of course, they get away with most of it, but ...

But what?

If you don't like this state you're free to try another. Note that word,
'free'.

Free ?

Try demonstrating outside parliament mary

or many of the other things you think you are free to do, but could get
arrested for

Do you always take the blind eye attitude, or go somewhere else when you
don't agree ?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

If everyone thought like that, we'd still be serfs in a feudal
system

You think we're not?

Nothing like as much as we would have been if we all adopted your
approach

Wossat then?

Standing back and letting the state and it's evil agents get away with
what they want

You think I do that? Not that the TV folk are the state's agents.

Of course, they get away with most of it, but ...

But what?

If you don't like this state you're free to try another. Note that word,
'free'.

Free ?

Try demonstrating outside parliament mary

No, you're confused. You were talking about "the state and its evil agents".
You mentioned the feudal system. There was no parliament in the days of the
feudal system. I said that if you don't like our system you're free to find
a different one. Demonstrating outside either of the Houses of Parliament is
irrelevant to the matter in hand.

As for demonstrating outside the Palace of Westminster (which is what I
think you meant) you're perfectly free to do it.You must accept the
consequences but you know what they are before you set up your pitch.

As you know the consequences of not having a television licence. Those who
don't have one are penalising those of you who do, surely they should be
sought out and made to pay their dues? Because the licensing authority is
made up of humans (not evil, just doing a job) mistakes are made.Have you
never made a mistake? If you say you haven't I don't believe you.

I don't want to demonstrate in Parliament Square, I have more subtle and
effective ways of protesting when I feel the need. I'm free to do it. And I
usually achieve my aim.

or many of the other things you think you are free to do, but could get
arrested for

What do you think I think I'm free to do but could get arrested for? Or,
rather, what do you think I WANT to do which I could get arrested for?
Incidentally you don't get jailed for not having a tv licence, that's a
common misconception.

Do you always take the blind eye attitude, or go somewhere else when you
don't agree ?

Oh come on! What do you think?

Or even - DO you think?

Mary