Lobster

Default Which flexible tap hoses do I need?!

Hi

I'm going to be fitting a new bath and sink next week, and thought I'd
use those newfangled flexible steel hoses to connect the taps rather
than trying to solder pipework and copper tap connectors in just the
right position. I'm assembling a Screwfix order so was going to include
2 sets of these. Trouble is, when you go to the relevant subsection of
the Screwfix site at http://tinyurl.com/7t38t (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2569&id=101316), there
are no less than 27 different types to choose from, and I really don't
rate my chances of getting it 100% right! Could anyone advise me which
ones I need please?

I'm using a standard matching pair of basin and bath taps (Screwfix
11216 and 18215), and the existing pipework feeding the taps is all 15mm
apart from the hot bath tap, which has a 22mm pipe.

I'll be using compression fittings to attach them to the pipework, not
pushfit, by the way.

Thanks!
David
Grunff

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Why not pushfit?

The thing to bear in mind is that the basin taps will be 1/2", and the
bath taps will be 3/4".

So if you were going to use pushfit hoses, you'd need:

Two of these for the basin:

One of these for the cold bath:

And one of these for the hot bath:

Grunff
Lobster

Grunff wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Well, because... in fact I'm going to be getting some help on this job
from an old retired plumber, and I know from previous experience that he
won't touch pushfit fittings or plastic pipe with a bargepole. I have
no problem using it myself, and TBH I prefer it, but this chap is far
too set in his ways to change his mind if I buy pushfit he'll just
refuse to use it!

David
Lobster

Grunff wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I'll be using compression fittings to attach them to the pipework, not
pushfit, by the way.

Why not pushfit?

Grunff you put me in mind of a certain individual who replies to posts
asking for advice on boiler selection which include the phrase "...but
not a combi...", by advising the OP that he should fit two
combis.......! ;-)

It's just that in fact I'm getting some help on this job from an old
retired plumber friend, who refuses point-blank to touch push-fit with a
bargepole, and I know for sure that if I bought some, he wouldn't use it.

However, by extrapolation I think I've sussed which Sfix parts are the
compression-fitting equivalents of what you reccomended, so thanks for that!

David
Grunff

Lobster wrote:

Grunff you put me in mind of a certain individual who replies to posts
asking for advice on boiler selection which include the phrase "...but
not a combi...", by advising the OP that he should fit two
combis.......! ;-)

That's very hurtful.

There's actually a very good reason why I asked the question. Let's say
you're avoiding pushfit because of potential longevity issues, ok? Now,
I have no problem with that if you're going to be using copper throughout.

However, these hoses are all rubber anyway, so the hose itself wil last
as long as the pushfit connector O ring.

It's just that in fact I'm getting some help on this job from an old
retired plumber friend, who refuses point-blank to touch push-fit with a
bargepole, and I know for sure that if I bought some, he wouldn't use it.

Surely it follows that he wouldn't want to use these rubber hose things
either?

However, by extrapolation I think I've sussed which Sfix parts are the
compression-fitting equivalents of what you reccomended, so thanks for
that!

I couldn't be bothered to paste in a whole load of links for the
compression ones, I knew you'd figure it out.

--
Grunff

Lobster

Grunff wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Grunff you put me in mind of a certain individual who replies to posts
asking for advice on boiler selection which include the phrase "...but
not a combi...", by advising the OP that he should fit two
combis.......! ;-)

That's very hurtful.

Yeah I'm sorry...

There's actually a very good reason why I asked the question. Let's say
you're avoiding pushfit because of potential longevity issues, ok? Now,
I have no problem with that if you're going to be using copper throughout.

However, these hoses are all rubber anyway, so the hose itself wil last
as long as the pushfit connector O ring.

It's just that in fact I'm getting some help on this job from an old
retired plumber friend, who refuses point-blank to touch push-fit with
a bargepole, and I know for sure that if I bought some, he wouldn't
use it.

Surely it follows that he wouldn't want to use these rubber hose things
either?

You'd think so, wouldn't you! My theory is that he thinks the
steel braided hoses are steel all the way through or something; far be
it from me to enlighten him. I do know he doesn't mind using them,
whereas he would spit at pushfit fittings for sure. He's very - how can
I put this - set in his ways? and there's no telling him (as in, him, a
pro of 40-odd years experience being told something new by a d-i-yer
like me? Let's not even go there... However, he does a very good job
so I just shut up and permit him his idiosyncracies.

Thanks
David

(PS apologies for the odd partly-duped postings earlier today - didn't
realise I'd sent the first one; I meant to dump it and start again)
Dale Shuttleworth

Hi,

:
: I'm using a standard matching pair of basin and bath taps (Screwfix
: 11216 and 18215), and the existing pipework feeding the taps is all 15mm
: apart from the hot bath tap, which has a 22mm pipe.

[...]

: And one of these for the hot bath:
: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...34218&id=45149

My experience with those flexible hoses is that they are usually a
much smaller bore than whatever pipe you are attaching them to. This
may not be problem for your cold supply which, from the 15mm size of
all the pipes is probably mains pressure but it will have a substantial
effect on the (probably gravity fed) hot water flow into the bath.

Of course, the hoses proposed may be OK but its something I would
consider carefully - you need all the flow you can get to a bath...

Hope this helps,

Dale.
OldBill

Dale Shuttleworth wrote:
Hi,

Grunff ) wrote:
: Lobster wrote:
[...]

The reduced bore should be considered. The bathroom I did over recently
is gravity fed.
I used flexys to connect all the taps. The bath is fine but the flow
from the basin is poor. I'm going to change them for plastic pipe when I
get round to it.

Tap flexible hoses Broadback UK diy 6 October 5th 20 03:45 AM
replacing backhoe hoses, any tips? RogerN Metalworking 10 June 17th 05 02:57 PM
Fixed v Flexible Gas Connections Another Dave UK diy 21 October 26th 04 06:23 PM
GASKET MATERIALS: FLEXIBLE GRAPHITE Richard He Woodworking 0 March 11th 04 01:54 AM
Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM