petek

Default Broadband modem connection

Not sure if this question is relevant for this group, but it's a bit
DIY'ish.

My ISP is Telewest and I have a broadband connection via a modem which
they provided and set up. I now want to reposition my PC (and obviously
the modem also) to another room in the house. I am reluctant to get
Telewest in to do it as they will probably charge the proverbial arm
and leg, so I want to do it myself.

I have a junction box near to my PC from which a cable goes to the
modem. To put the PC in another room I need to extend this cable or
replace it with another longer one. The cable looks like a normal co-ax
but the connectors at either end appear to be brass and are a screw
fitting into the junction box and into the modem.

Can I buy the connectors and cable myself and if so can anybody
recommend a cost effective source? Is there anything special about
fitting the connectors to the cable or is it similar to normal co-ax TV
aerial cable?

Thanks for your help.
Pete K.

Lee

petek wrote:

My ISP is Telewest and I have a broadband connection via a modem which
they provided and set up. I now want to reposition my PC (and obviously
the modem also) to another room in the house.

snip
Can I buy the connectors and cable myself and if so can anybody
recommend a cost effective source? Is there anything special about
fitting the connectors to the cable or is it similar to normal co-ax TV
aerial cable?

This has been discussed previously, a Google should find previous answers.
Personally I would just leave the modem where it is and run a length of
Cat5...

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
BigWallop

"petek" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Blueyonder charge £75 for doing this, so it is worth giving it a shot
yourself to save some pennies.

You need to obtain satellite grade coaxial cable for this job though, and,
although not too expensive, it is slightly more expensive than normal tele'
coax.

The connectors are "F" type, and these can be gotten from any good tele'
shop. The best design to get is the twist-on ones, which make life a lot
easier than trying to make crimped ends on coaxial. The twist-on connectors
only have the ends of the cable bared back to suit the plug, and then you
screw the connector on to it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it.

PS. Keep the bit coaxial cable that BY installed, just in case you have
troubles with it in the future.

petek wrote:
[...]

I'm not familiar with Telewest - I use NTL, but I suspect the set-up is
broadly the same.

I would avoid moving the modem. The incoming coax from the outside
world isn't the same as standard TV cable and, as you have found, it
uses screw-on 'F' connectors.

I'd recommend that you extend the cable that runs between your PC and
the modem. It will be Cat5 network cable (using a connector that looks
similar to a phone plug) or it might be USB. Both types of cable are
easy to find in various lengths with connectors ready-fitted. It's an
easy plug-and-go solution and is by far preferable to playing with the
Telewest bit of the installation.

Mike

raden

In message , BigWallop
writes

"petek" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Maybe a bit of parallel logic is in order (if that's the right word)

Phone the ISP up and give them the option of re-siting the modem or
you'll change ISP to another (who will put the initial install where you
require it)

You could frame it a bit better, of course

--
geoff
John Rumm

I would avoid moving the modem. The incoming coax from the outside
world isn't the same as standard TV cable and, as you have found, it
uses screw-on 'F' connectors.

Erm, well it is standard (foil screened, i.e. CT100) co-ax. F connectors
are nothing special, about a quid for ten from CPC (or a quid each from
other places)

I'd recommend that you extend the cable that runs between your PC and
the modem. It will be Cat5 network cable (using a connector that looks
similar to a phone plug) or it might be USB. Both types of cable are

It it is cat5 then this is a good suggestion, if it is USB however then
not so good. Note that most telewest modems I have seen are Motorola
ones that have both CAT5 and USB. So even if you are vcurrently using
USB then you can switch to ethernet.

To convert from USB to cat5, you need to install a network card in the
PC and re-install the blueyonder software.

(the blueyonder software only defaults to installing the USB drivers and
stuff if it does not detect a network card during its installation.

(you could also add a wireless broadband router to the ethernet port on
the modem and forget about wires. Linksys do a nice one that works well
on Telewest)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Pete C

On 2 Jun 2005 10:28:22 -0700, "petek"
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Argos do an extension cable with F connectors:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=124349&clickfrom=name

cheers,
Pete.