BigWallop

"petek" wrote in message
ps.com...
Not sure if this question is relevant for this group, but it's a bit
DIY'ish.

My ISP is Telewest and I have a broadband connection via a modem which
they provided and set up. I now want to reposition my PC (and obviously
the modem also) to another room in the house. I am reluctant to get
Telewest in to do it as they will probably charge the proverbial arm
and leg, so I want to do it myself.

I have a junction box near to my PC from which a cable goes to the
modem. To put the PC in another room I need to extend this cable or
replace it with another longer one. The cable looks like a normal co-ax
but the connectors at either end appear to be brass and are a screw
fitting into the junction box and into the modem.

Can I buy the connectors and cable myself and if so can anybody
recommend a cost effective source? Is there anything special about
fitting the connectors to the cable or is it similar to normal co-ax TV
aerial cable?

Thanks for your help.
Pete K.

Blueyonder charge £75 for doing this, so it is worth giving it a shot
yourself to save some pennies.

You need to obtain satellite grade coaxial cable for this job though, and,
although not too expensive, it is slightly more expensive than normal tele'
coax.

The connectors are "F" type, and these can be gotten from any good tele'
shop. The best design to get is the twist-on ones, which make life a lot
easier than trying to make crimped ends on coaxial. The twist-on connectors
only have the ends of the cable bared back to suit the plug, and then you
screw the connector on to it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it.

PS. Keep the bit coaxial cable that BY installed, just in case you have
troubles with it in the future.