Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
petek

Default Broadband modem connection

Not sure if this question is relevant for this group, but it's a bit
DIY'ish.

My ISP is Telewest and I have a broadband connection via a modem which
they provided and set up. I now want to reposition my PC (and obviously
the modem also) to another room in the house. I am reluctant to get
Telewest in to do it as they will probably charge the proverbial arm
and leg, so I want to do it myself.

I have a junction box near to my PC from which a cable goes to the
modem. To put the PC in another room I need to extend this cable or
replace it with another longer one. The cable looks like a normal co-ax
but the connectors at either end appear to be brass and are a screw
fitting into the junction box and into the modem.

Can I buy the connectors and cable myself and if so can anybody
recommend a cost effective source? Is there anything special about
fitting the connectors to the cable or is it similar to normal co-ax TV
aerial cable?

Thanks for your help.
Pete K.