Texas Yankee

Default Outside hose connection repair

It was a DIY project gone bad - I attempted to replace an outside hose
connection on my own - a freeze proof type where the stem goes back into the
wall. As I was trying to get the broken fitting out, it broke off in the
wall and I had to have a plumber come out and finish the work - he had to go
in through the inside wall (10x10 hole in the sheetrock in the closet) to
get to the fittings, use the torch, etc. The bibb I bought to replace the
original connection turned out to be an inch or two too long - HD had
different sizes and I bought the wrong size - my mistake - when the plumber
did the work (I wasn't home), he used the part I had purchased (I left it by
the work site) instead of just using a part that was the correct size. I
don't want to have to pay again to have the correct size installed, so I'm
willing to live with the connection sticking out from the wall an inch or
two too much - live and learn. I still have to repair the interior
sheetrock and put some mortar in where the pipe comes out through the brick.

In Dallas, TX, is $184 out of line for this type of job?

MLD

Don't think so--you pay through the nose for small plumbing jobs. If the
connection is easy to get at now why live with something that you don't
want? Remove the new one and install what you want.
MLD
"Texas Yankee" wrote in message
[...]

Art

In Raleigh NC I just paid $240 for a frost free hose bib replacement (right
size.... he picked it up while on my clock), main water turnoff replaced
with new ball valve (helper made a separate trip to pick up) and replace 3
turnoffs under sink. I thought it was a good deal including all labor and
parts. Personally I think your plumber should have stopped the repair and
gotten the right size hose bib instead of installing the wrong one.

[...]

Texas Yankee

I agree - I'll handle subsequent situations different - I'll go over
EVERYTHING in minute detail - in advance - ahhh, if only I had paid
attention to my Dad when I was growing up - I'd be able to do all this stuff
myself - unfortunately, I was out chasing girls - plumbing is, apparently,
much more profitable - and usually more rewarding.

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Travis Jordan

Texas Yankee wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a fair price to me. Here in my area of Florida, the minimum
'trip charge' for a good plumber is $100.

Art

By the way, for the original poster, frostfree hose bibs need to slant down
slightly to drain properly.

wrote in message
Get a small piece of treated 2x4 and cut a notch in it. Put some
construction adhesive on the back and glue it to the brick. Put some
screws thru the holes in the spigot *that is what they are callled*,
and you are done. Notch goes down.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:18:20 -0500, "Texas Yankee"
wrote:

[...]

Chet Hayes

wrote:

[...]

The price is OK for a decent job, but that's not what you got. Only a
half assed plumber would install the wrong size sill cock and leave
two inchs sticking out, even if you supplied it. Besides looking
like hell, a sill cock is supposed to have two screws which fasten it
to the outside wall, giving it support so it doesn't move around and
possibly break the pipe.

This is why I try to do everything I can myself, so it gets done
right. BTW, I wouldn't feel bad about breaking off the old one, it's
likely that would have happened with the plumber too. If it were my
house, I'd unscrew the one that's there, which should come out easy
now, and put the right one in.