chris French

Default Decent flatpack bookcases.

Ok, jokes aside thankyou :-)

New house has a requirement for some book shelves, as most of the ones
in the old house were built in, and the ones we have are/were pretty
crappy MFI or somesuch.

Nothing fancy, just some simple but sturdy, reasonably priced, free
standing bookcases. Now I first thought was to procure some Ikea Billy
bookcases. We have couple already have they have given good service, one
of their better products IMO. However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away,
I'm not that keen.

So any other suggestions for so an item.

And yes I could make my own, but demands on time are such that it ain't
gonna happen anytime soon (or even later)
--
Chris French, Leeds
John

"chris French" wrote in message

However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away, I'm not that keen.

Chris French, Leeds

Not an answer to your question but it may save you some time and petrol.

As your sig says Leeds, I am presuming Leeds, West Yorks and not Leeds,
Kent, especially as you posted previously to say that you use Falcon
Electrical in Leeds, West Yorkshire. I cannot believe that you do not know
of the IKEA store at J27 of the M62 (Showcase Cinema), which is approx 8
miles from Leeds City Centre. You CANNOT fail to see the massive retail
park (IKEA, Toys R Us, Carpet Right, Curry's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc.
etc.) whilst driving along the M62!! I have attached a link to their store
details, http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2D74261B

HTH

John

MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:08:42 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Ok, jokes aside thankyou :-)

New house has a requirement for some book shelves, as most of the ones
in the old house were built in, and the ones we have are/were pretty
crappy MFI or somesuch.

Nothing fancy, just some simple but sturdy, reasonably priced, free
standing bookcases. Now I first thought was to procure some Ikea Billy
bookcases. We have couple already have they have given good service, one
of their better products IMO. However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away,
I'm not that keen.

So any other suggestions for so an item.

And yes I could make my own, but demands on time are such that it ain't
gonna happen anytime soon (or even later)

You can't go wrong with the Billy range of bookcases from IKEA.
Excellent value and sturdy. Available in various finishes.

MM

chris French wrote:
[...]

How deep? Adjustable shelves?

I quite like the (stop laughing at the back) Homebase value pine
bookcases. They're not very deep and not adjustable but they are dirt
cheap and you can stain/varnish/paint/whatever to suit your taste.

MBQ

Dave

"John" wrote in message
"chris French" wrote in message

However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away, I'm not that keen.

Chris French, Leeds

Not an answer to your question but it may save you some time and petrol.

As your sig says Leeds, I am presuming Leeds, West Yorks and not Leeds,

He's moved!

Time for a new sig, Chris!

chris French

ahh **** I thought I'd changed it.

--
Chris French

Formerly Leeds, now Cambridgeshire :-)
chris French

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

Ok, jokes aside thankyou :-)

New house has a requirement for some book shelves, as most of the ones
in the old house were built in, and the ones we have are/were pretty
crappy MFI or somesuch.

Nothing fancy, just some simple but sturdy, reasonably priced, free
standing bookcases. Now I first thought was to procure some Ikea Billy
bookcases. We have couple already have they have given good service, one
of their better products IMO. However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away,
I'm not that keen.

So any other suggestions for so an item.

And yes I could make my own, but demands on time are such that it ain't
gonna happen anytime soon (or even later)

You can't go wrong with the Billy range of bookcases from IKEA.
Excellent value and sturdy. Available in various finishes.

Errr, yes I agree. It's why I wrote

Now I first thought was to procure some Ikea Billy
bookcases. We have couple already have they have given good service, one
of their better products IMO. However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away,

:-))
--
Chris French
Mike

"chris French" wrote in message
Ok, jokes aside thankyou :-)

New house has a requirement for some book shelves, as most of the ones
in the old house were built in, and the ones we have are/were pretty
crappy MFI or somesuch.

Nothing fancy, just some simple but sturdy, reasonably priced, free
standing bookcases. Now I first thought was to procure some Ikea Billy
bookcases. We have couple already have they have given good service, one
of their better products IMO. However the nearest Ikea is 70 miles away,
I'm not that keen.

So any other suggestions for so an item.

John Lewis. In Sheffield they are called something else but well in range.

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Mike" wrote:

[...]

John Lewis. In Sheffield they are called something else but well in range.

Nah, Cole Brothers is now officially (though not to locals) John Lewis
too :-(

They were just completing the change when we moved away 18 months ago.

We thought we'd found the perfect substitute in the excellent David
Morgans in Cardiff and then the blasted family-owned business went and
closed! What on earth is happening? Co-incidentally, Ikea have opened
locally, but that *can't* be the reason.

Oh yes, and as you'll note when you read other posts in the thread, the
OP is no longer in Leeds.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Run for your life!!

chris French

In message , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
"Mike" wrote:

[...]

John Lewis. In Sheffield they are called something else but well in range.

Nah, Cole Brothers is now officially (though not to locals) John Lewis
too :-(

Oh yes, and as you'll note when you read other posts in the thread, the
OP is no longer in Leeds.

There is a JL in Peterborough though.

Any particular range? The Layla looks like the sort of thing we would be
after.
--
Chris French
MM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:55:35 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

[...]

Ah, you must have slipped it in while my back was turned.

MM
MM

On 17 May 2005 00:20:05 -0700, wrote:

chris French wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with them either. Also, Argos do a wide range of cheap
bookcases and I've got one of them, too. Not as good quality as IKEA,
though. But quite a bit cheaper. B&Q also do the "Form" range of
bookcases (maple or beech effect), which are identical (as far as I
can tell) to the Argos ones, but cheaper still. I bought one from B&Q
80cm x 202cm x 26cm deep for around £25 a couple of months ago. But
ring before you travel, as they may not have any in stock. Rare as
hen's teeth (probably because they get snapped up because of the good
price).

MM
Mike

"chris French" wrote in message

There is a JL in Peterborough though.

Any particular range? The Layla looks like the sort of thing we would be
after.

Depends on what you are after. But always found they're stuff a notch above
the sheds and two notches up from Ikea/Shabytat

custom bookcases iradi8 Home Repair 29 January 25th 05 02:47 AM
Decent woodworking shop in NJ Andy Jeffries Woodworking 5 January 11th 05 12:26 AM
Building 50 bookcases. Have certain requirements for the plans. S. Dees Woodworking 50 November 23rd 04 02:39 PM
Decent angle grinders... Alan UK diy 6 August 12th 04 07:02 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM