iradi8

Default custom bookcases

I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep
on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on
top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??

Thanks for your help!

Joseph Meehan

iradi8 wrote:
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just
try to find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit
that is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and
about 16" deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I
live in Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases
(open on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either
online or b&m??
Thanks for your help!

Price depends on quality. So if the quality is high $6,000 is cheap.
If the quality is "builder special," then it is high.

I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard. but if
you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

iradi8

I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard. but if
you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.

My dh is pretty handy and often tackles tough projects. I'm not sure if he
would want to do this due to the amount of time it would take him. He
probably has all of the tools needed so that's not an issue.
How long did it take you to build yours and what size did you build? How's
about a picture?!

Sloan

berkshire bill

"iradi8" wrote in message
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16"
deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open
on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or
b&m??

Thanks for your help!

Google and Yahoo searches turned up some really nice looking Traditional
Bookcases with most of them starting around your local price. There's a
couple I could easily fit into my Craftsman Cottage style house.

Bill

Joseph Meehan

iradi8 wrote:
I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard.
but if you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.

My dh is pretty handy and often tackles tough projects. I'm not sure
if he would want to do this due to the amount of time it would take
him. He probably has all of the tools needed so that's not an issue.
How long did it take you to build yours and what size did you build?
How's about a picture?!

Sloan

I'll try to put a photo up tomorrow. It took me a couple of days and a
couple more to finish it. It was about eight foot tall (9 foot ceiling.)
It was about 10 foot long. Construction is easy. I would guess I sent a
couple of hundred on it including trim and finishing.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

ameijers

"iradi8" wrote in message
I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard. but if
you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.

My dh is pretty handy and often tackles tough projects. I'm not sure if he
would want to do this due to the amount of time it would take him. He
probably has all of the tools needed so that's not an issue.
How long did it take you to build yours and what size did you build? How's
about a picture?!

6 grand seems pretty steep for painted bookcases. Now, if they were
hardwood with a nice grain and finish, I could maybe see that kind of price.
Before I even thought about laying out that kind of money, I'd at least play
the graph paper game and price out the wood to do it myself. If you want
painted, the wood doesn't have to be that pretty, just straight and no open
knots. Most of the box could even be made from plywood.

If your DH has a decent table saw or radial arm, and knows how to use a tape
measure and a square, shelves like this are one of the easiest thing for a
DIY to build. At worst case, they will look ugly. The house won't fall down,
and as long as they are tied to wall, they won't fall and kill anyone.
Bookstore or big-box will have lots of books with pictures showing how to
proceed, and big-box will have all the hardware needed to make the shelves
adjustable, if you want. Just when you start cutting, remember no room is
square, so you will either end up cutting each board to fit, or making a
nice square box and scribing some sort of moulding along the wall to
disguise the crookedness.

effi

"iradi8" wrote in message
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16"
deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open
on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or
b&m??

Thanks for your help!

if you can go with something not as tall, get 3 of either of these and
placing them side by side will give you shelving/cabinets below of about 6'
tall by 9' wide

$249 each
http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do..._801_FM_180459

$239 each
http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do..._801_FM_180469

add in delivery charges from office depot (or wherever you buy o'sullivan
furniture - it's available all over), and assembly charges (if you don't
want to or can't assemble them - actually pretty easy to assemble with a
screwdriver) paint the units if you want painted finish, and save the other
$5,000 or so

Mac Cool

iradi8:

I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just
try to find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit
that is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and
about 16" deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I
live in Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Custom anything is expensive, but mostly you are seeing the difference
between the cost of real cabinetry and the stuff made by slave labor
dumped here by China.

I would have to see examples of the cabinetmaker's work to tell if it's
expensive or not.
--
Mac Cool
Edwin Pawlowski

"iradi8" wrote in message
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16"
deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

That price is very possible for a good custom setup, but could be high for
fairly simple stuff. .Depends on the specs and material used. Ask over on
rec.woodworking for some places to go or people to contact.

iradi8

That price is very possible for a good custom setup, but could be high for
fairly simple stuff. .Depends on the specs and material used. Ask over
on rec.woodworking for some places to go or people to contact.

Thanks, will do that.

Sloan

iradi8

Custom anything is expensive, but mostly you are seeing the difference
between the cost of real cabinetry and the stuff made by slave labor
dumped here by China.
I would have to see examples of the cabinetmaker's work to tell if it's
expensive or not.

Yeah, makes sense. He is well known in the community and stays very busy.
His work is always good quality.

Sloan

iradi8

add in delivery charges from office depot (or wherever you buy o'sullivan
furniture - it's available all over), and assembly charges (if you don't
want to or can't assemble them - actually pretty easy to assemble with a
screwdriver) paint the units if you want painted finish, and save the
other $5,000 or so

Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping to get real wood and something a bit
sturdier.

Sloan

iradi8

If your DH has a decent table saw or radial arm, and knows how to use a
tape
measure and a square, shelves like this are one of the easiest thing ...

Thanks. I forwarded your post to my dh.

Sloan

iradi8

I'll try to put a photo up tomorrow. It took me a couple of days and a
couple more to finish it. It was about eight foot tall (9 foot ceiling.)
It was about 10 foot long. Construction is easy. I would guess I sent a
couple of hundred on it including trim and finishing.

Thanks, Joseph!

Sloan

William Brown

Ikea has a lot of this type of thing for far less than $6K, and you can
take them with you when you move.

I don't understand why you want wood if they are to be painted?

iradi8 wrote:
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep
on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on
top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??

Thanks for your help!

there.

Charlie Bress

"iradi8" wrote in message
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16"
deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open
on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or
b&m??

Thanks for your help!

I haven't read all the answers to your query, but let me tell you about my
similar situation.
When we bought our first house, we wanted to add kitchen cabinets. They had
to match what the builder had installed. When we got a price quote from the
local cabinet maker we were floored at the cost.

What I did was decide to build them myself. I bought a radial arm saw,
although a table saw would have also been a good choice. You can buy the
right kind of material for your project and build what you want without
having to compromise with what is available.

When I got done, the cost including the tools needed were less than the
price quote and now I still have that saw and the other tools even though
it is four houses later.

Charlie

John Willis

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:49:19 -0500, William Brown
scribbled this interesting note:

Ikea has a lot of this type of thing for far less than $6K, and you can
take them with you when you move.

Ikea does not have what the local, high quality craftsman can make.
They have nothing even close.

I don't understand why you want wood if they are to be painted?

Personal preference?

iradi8 wrote:
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep
on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on
top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??

Thanks for your help!

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
John Willis

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:26:28 -0600, "iradi8"
scribbled this interesting note:

I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep
on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on
top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??

Thanks for your help!

In my experience, doing a high quality paint job (semi-gloss, oil
based) on wood is more time consuming and tedious than a stain and
varnish (satin or low sheen, which is my preference) job of equal
quality. This may account for some of the high cost.

A very high quality set of book shelves, like you describe, built by a
custom, high end cabinet maker, isn't disposable furniture like you
find at Wal-Mart, Sams, Office Depot, Staples, Ikea, or most any home
furnishing store. If you hire this fellow to build your shelves you
then have heirloom quality furniture that will last several lifetimes.
If you look at the cost per day of ownership across all those
lifetimes, that $6,000.00 piece of furniture was actually cheaper to
own than that disposable stuff you see every day.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Mac Cool

Charlie Bress:

When we got a price quote from the
local cabinet maker we were floored at the cost.

What I did was decide to build them myself.

I think if you really think about it you'll realize that you didn't build
them to save money, but because deep down you wanted to and had the
aptitude.

--
Mac Cool
Mac Cool

ameijers:

If your DH has a decent table saw or radial arm, and knows how to use
a tape measure and a square, shelves like this are one of the easiest
thing for a DIY to build.

I think you are underestimating the project. I suspect the cabinetmaker
was quoting something along the lines of this:
http://www.blackrockcabinetmakers.com/built-ins.htm
except painted instead of varnished.

The units would be built of cabinet grade plywood and trimmed in solid
wood. This is not a project for the casual DIY, although it is perfectly
reasonable for someone to do it themselves.

--
Mac Cool

toller

They are pretty big, so figure $500 for oak lumber and maybe $100 for other
supplies.
Making them cabinet quality could easily take 2 weeks, at $60/hour; that is
$4,800.
So, yeah, we are in the $6,000 range easily enough.

Now, if you just want some painted pine bookcases, and want them to look
"nice", you could probably find someone to make pretty decent ones for under
$2,000.

Joseph Meehan

iradi8 wrote:
I'll try to put a photo up tomorrow. It took me a couple of days
and a couple more to finish it. It was about eight foot tall (9
foot ceiling.) It was about 10 foot long. Construction is easy. I
would guess I sent a couple of hundred on it including trim and
finishing.

Thanks, Joseph!

Sloan

Photo he

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30046374&pw=

I would say I put about 10 hours total time in.
Building them is really not difficult. I used Oak plywood. Just build
boxes five sides and screw them to the walls. Add a little trim, adjustable
shelves and you are done (one row of shelves was not adjustable to strength
the box.)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Colbyt

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30046374&pw=

I would say I put about 10 hours total time in.
Building them is really not difficult. I used Oak plywood. Just

build
boxes five sides and screw them to the walls. Add a little trim,

adjustable
shelves and you are done (one row of shelves was not adjustable to

strength
the box.)

Joseph Meehan

Nice looking cabinets Joseph.

iradi8

I think you are underestimating the project. I suspect the cabinetmaker
was quoting something along the lines of this:
http://www.blackrockcabinetmakers.com/built-ins.htm
except painted instead of varnished.

Yes, exactly. The white bookcases on that site are similar to the ones we
want.

Thanks,
Sloan

iradi8

I don't understand why you want wood if they are to be painted?

What else would I use? I want good quality, a nice surface, strength,
durability.

Sloan

iradi8

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30046374&pw=

Wow -- very, very nice. I'm impressed

Sloan

Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30046374&pw=

I would say I put about 10 hours total time in.
Building them is really not difficult. I used Oak plywood. Just

build
boxes five sides and screw them to the walls. Add a little trim,

adjustable
shelves and you are done (one row of shelves was not adjustable to

strength
the box.)

Joseph Meehan

Nice looking cabinets Joseph.

Joseph Meehan

Thanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"iradi8" wrote in message
. ..
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30046374&pw=

Wow -- very, very nice. I'm impressed

Sloan

Mac Cool

iradi8:

I think you are underestimating the project. I suspect the
cabinetmaker was quoting something along the lines of this:
http://www.blackrockcabinetmakers.com/built-ins.htm
except painted instead of varnished.

Yes, exactly. The white bookcases on that site are similar to the
ones we want.

Check with other cabinetmakers, also check with finish carpenters. You can
find someone to build something similiar for a few thousand, although the
fit and finish may not be as fine as the first cabinetmaker.

If your husband wants to build the carcass, he can buy the doors premade,
just google for 'cabinet doors'.
--
Mac Cool