John Willis

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:26:28 -0600, "iradi8"
scribbled this interesting note:

I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16" deep
on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open on
top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or b&m??

Thanks for your help!

In my experience, doing a high quality paint job (semi-gloss, oil
based) on wood is more time consuming and tedious than a stain and
varnish (satin or low sheen, which is my preference) job of equal
quality. This may account for some of the high cost.

A very high quality set of book shelves, like you describe, built by a
custom, high end cabinet maker, isn't disposable furniture like you
find at Wal-Mart, Sams, Office Depot, Staples, Ikea, or most any home
furnishing store. If you hire this fellow to build your shelves you
then have heirloom quality furniture that will last several lifetimes.
If you look at the cost per day of ownership across all those
lifetimes, that $6,000.00 piece of furniture was actually cheaper to
own than that disposable stuff you see every day.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)