ameijers

"iradi8" wrote in message
I built my own and they are just want I wanted. Not too hard. but if
you have to ask how, I suggest not doing it yourself.

My dh is pretty handy and often tackles tough projects. I'm not sure if he
would want to do this due to the amount of time it would take him. He
probably has all of the tools needed so that's not an issue.
How long did it take you to build yours and what size did you build? How's
about a picture?!

6 grand seems pretty steep for painted bookcases. Now, if they were
hardwood with a nice grain and finish, I could maybe see that kind of price.
Before I even thought about laying out that kind of money, I'd at least play
the graph paper game and price out the wood to do it myself. If you want
painted, the wood doesn't have to be that pretty, just straight and no open
knots. Most of the box could even be made from plywood.

If your DH has a decent table saw or radial arm, and knows how to use a tape
measure and a square, shelves like this are one of the easiest thing for a
DIY to build. At worst case, they will look ugly. The house won't fall down,
and as long as they are tied to wall, they won't fall and kill anyone.
Bookstore or big-box will have lots of books with pictures showing how to
proceed, and big-box will have all the hardware needed to make the shelves
adjustable, if you want. Just when you start cutting, remember no room is
square, so you will either end up cutting each board to fit, or making a
nice square box and scribing some sort of moulding along the wall to
disguise the crookedness.