effi

"iradi8" wrote in message
I am trying to decide whether to have custom bookcases built or just try to
find some free-standing ones.
I got a quote from a local cabinet maker for a painted 10' x 10' unit that
is 12" deep on the top part where there is open shelving and about 16"
deep on the bottom where there will be cabinet doors.
The quote is approx. $6000 and I was surprised at the high cost. I live in
Louisiana -- anyone have opinions on this price???

Also, any suggestions where I might find some really nice bookcases (open
on top with cabinets on bottom -- very tall preferably) either online or
b&m??

Thanks for your help!

if you can go with something not as tall, get 3 of either of these and
placing them side by side will give you shelving/cabinets below of about 6'
tall by 9' wide

$249 each
http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do..._801_FM_180459

$239 each
http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do..._801_FM_180469

add in delivery charges from office depot (or wherever you buy o'sullivan
furniture - it's available all over), and assembly charges (if you don't
want to or can't assemble them - actually pretty easy to assemble with a
screwdriver) paint the units if you want painted finish, and save the other
$5,000 or so